• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 19, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klorenz

displayname
Kirk Lorenz
This reservoir seal on my NF hydraulic lift is going to need to be replaced soon.

What is my best option for a replacement? Was it originally some type of a sealing washer?

What I have pictured is not original. Its just a flat rubber washer I installed about 10yrs ago.

321411.jpg

321412.jpg

Kirk - if it ain't broke, don't fix it
biggrin.gif

I've had a few of those reservoirs apart and it appears to just be a flat rubber washer. Sometimes the rubber has formed a little to be partially pushed inside but I really think it just started out as a flat seal snug around the threads.

Hydro-it seems to me the only thing that will stop a Kohler from shaking is turning off he key off LOL.i started a rudimentary Triag of the “71” 149 it seems like I could start it right now if I drop a new battery into it but it does need a lot of little TLC the oil is fresh and clean “gonna change it anyway”.Sunday is supposed to be rainy here so I’ll work up a punch list of items that need to by fixed purchased or other wise taken care of

Kirk,

Maybe a good coat of paint will help!
lol.gif

321420.jpg

321421.jpg

This is the one I just did, with two more waiting below.
A coating of Permatex #82180 (RTV Silicone Gasket Maker) may work.

321422.jpg

321423.jpg

Charlie,
Thanks for the picture of the kit. Looks like a 3/8" sealing washer to me.
thumbsup.gif

I do hope they're ok there.

Marty, you have me wanting a hydraulic lift for my 100 now, nice!

Gerry, I just changed mine and dad's push mowers to the fancy E3 plugs, mine I can actually start using the priming button now, before even after cleaning up the carb, air filter, etc. It wanted starting fluid. But I got both for free, so I'm not complaining. I just got dad a newer self propelled cub mower, for his ditch mostly, he still loves the 1450 with hydraulic lift! I'm fine with my 1200 for now, been trying to get at my garage to find the 782 that's in there, but work keeps wanting overtime Saturdays. I shoulda bought a place with a barn....

Harry,

So if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Not how I do things. If I see something going south...I repair it right then, before it's broke! Each to their own.
proud.gif

Kirk - since Charlie posted a pic of the sealing/bonded washer I must admit to being incorrect (I was wrong). Guess when I took 2 different ones apart they were just really old and separated.

Now, as far as "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". That generally is "not" how I think either EXCEPT for something like this.

In your pic your hydraulic lift looks pretty good overall. If it ain't leaking now and it's working good, my own opinion would be just to leave it as is.

If you're worried those cracks in the rubber are going to start leaking, I still wouldn't take it apart just because of that. I would put a thin bead of sealer around it.

If you're dead set on going thru the whole pump, well then yes I'd replace that sealing washer. I'd recommend a lot of discussions with Marty on how and what he did going thru his. Also, make sure you're especially careful removing the belt pulley. I also wish you the best replacing the main shaft seal so it doesn't leak. Looks like Charlie has the old style shaft seal now, instead of using the thin ones where they recommended installing 2 of them.

I used 2 of the thin seals on my 126 several years back and it still leaks. Must be the shaft is worn some.
I cut a "diaper" out of a piece of 'pig mat' and keep stuffed between the pump and the mount right under the shaft. Keeps the oil from dripping on the mount itself.

David - yup, the shaft is likely worn. It really doesn't have a bearing unless you consider a steel shaft on steel bore a bearing. I think the recommendation to use 2 thin seals instead of 1 standard seal, was an attempt to help overcome any leakage on a worn shaft. (The shafts have been NLA a long time).

I was kinda wondering if Charlie's kit has the standard seal again, or if it's possibly a little thicker seal and may fit around an un-worn area of the shaft.

I had seen some information and pictures of a version of the same pump provided to another tractor company, that had a needle bearing. I wondered if the needle bearing could be used on the IH version of the pump. Since my 2 pumps are long gone there is no chance for a look/see. Maybe you want to look into it.

1200 waiting to mow, just finished raining. Muffler down to avoid catching water

321437.jpg

Kirk - gol-dern it. I think you were right, but Earl just posted so I guess it's working again. Funny thing tho - Earl said his 1200 is waiting to mow. Why would he be pulling that trailer?

I'd was sure hoping someone would post more info on the Narrow Frame hydraulic pump tho.

Not pulling, just parked in front of it. I use the 1200 to put my little 4x8 trailer in back. It's sitting in the area I want to put a shed

Always check your grounds first......Just put a new fuel pump on a Mag 18. Had to remove some tins and a small ground wire in the process. Put it all back and as I was parking it in the shed I noticed no charge on the ammeter. 12.5V at battery full throttle, 44V AC on rectifier. Ground that I reconnected wasn't well connected and charging system had no reference to ground. 1/4" star washer fixed it, back to 14.4V .......it's always the little things!!!!!

Spent 3 hours solid on the 1872 and loader yesterday AM, cutting sod with the bucket/tooth bar, then loading pea gravel. Helping on an Eagle Scout project for another Scout in the troop trying to sneak in his eagle before he turns 18! Can't imagine what I did without that thing!!!!

Thanks for the care package Charlie.

Got the oil pan back on the 149. I also rebuilt the steering box. Stripped it down, scrubbed it up and got it back together with fresh grease. I got it all adjusted, nice and smooth and minimal lash at all.

I got it back in the tractor and can't wait to get the motor back in and drive it. Maybe this weekend? Then I get the deck back off the 127 and back on the 149. This will give me the opportunity to pull the 127 motor and have it freshened up. Hope for a down/dirt freshen up, but if I have to put a piston in it, so be it.

Back