Archive through July 16, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
William - This is the BEST forum format period.

Welcome to the forum and you've done everything right by posting here and by coming here for your help.

The bad crank end will have to be fixed by replacing the crank unless you can have it welded up and recut by a professional engine shop. Otherwise feel free to look in the Classifieds For Sale section and/or place an ad in the "Wanted Section".

Your S/G may need rebuilt as mine cranks faster now that I've replaced the original S/G , but it will not turn as fast as your off brand mower/engine as it's a different animal. S/G are slower turning.

As far as not charging it may be the voltage regulator needs replaced. If you check out the FAQ above you'll find a page for checking the charging.

William D, If it starts it's good. The Starter/Generator on these trctors never did spin the engine like a regulal starter. There are some things to look into. These engines have a Compression release devise on the cam gear that holds the exhaust valve open untill a certain RPM is reached. If out of adjustment, this devise can slow the cranking speed of the engine. There are different size pulleys for the S/G's, if you hace a pulley for a 7 horse it can drag on the 12 horse and turn slower. Of course, as you mentioned, clean all electrical connections real good. like I said though if it's starting for you, your probly good.
happy.gif

William D: On all my Cub Cadets with a Starter/Generator, I move the cable at chassis ground point to the Starter/Generator mounting bracket. Where IH put it originally, after 40 years or so, the electrical ground path now has enough corrosion resistnce to cause slow/no starting and sometimes charging....I recommend that you do that also. Remember, good,clean, metal-to-metal contact with a bit of di-electric grease works wonders.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Mark G. Try this with your hydro. Switch positions of both the check valves. If reverse picks up and then forward seesm sluggish the one check valve is sticking a little. Mark one check valve to keep track of which is which. Keep us posted.

I mowed yesterday with the Keepsake 1650 until it got too stinking hot and muggy to be outside. Going to try and finish mowing in a little bit.

Hello All, forgive my absence from the forum, hope all is well with everyone. I'm finally getting the old cub back together, I'll post pictures upon completion hopefully in a week or two. I do however need help settleing a debate...I already have the Firestone tri ribs on my front wheels but they need tubes and are a bit hard on the turf, I was thinking about putting the 18X8.50-8 V61's on the front to beef up the front end and make it look more like the 1466 its shaping up to be a mini version of. So, other than getting the new front wheels and upgrading to one inch spindles, anything else i should or shouldnt do? Much appreciated

what is the best and most easy way to remove the engine off an ih cub 86? it has the engine inside the frame. Also upon removal anything else i should know?

Charlie:
Thanks for the link. That is where I thought it should go. The Hillman bushing #58087-A has an ID of about 7/16 and the throttle shaft is about 1/4. I thought that I was missing something.
elamott

Hi Brandon!
Section 1 of the 1x8 - 1x9 service manual, which is also for the 86, covers engine removal pretty well. Hope this is what you were looking for....

Mod edit: Fixed the typo.

Gerry, unless you know something we don't...I dont think BRANDON likes to be called Brenda!...<font size="-2">It's a bitch getting older isn't it ?</font>
rolleyes.gif

Apparently the spell checker didn't like my spelling of Brenda .... sorry, Brenda, I did type Brenda, because I had a cousin named Brenda..
bash.gif

Not my afternoon - just trying to establish an account on another type of forum and gave them a nonexistent email account (brain fa.t day..). If I try to register again, they'll bounce me for sure..

Tnks, Alana...
err.gif
(and I ALWAYS czech my posts after I send 'em.....
wink.gif

Gerry, even if you gave them a correct e-mail address, your fire wall is like the Great Wall of China...few things get thru. Alana...
err.gif
err.gif
dizzy.gif
<font size="-2">sometimes I change mine </font>
1a_scratchhead.gif

My thermometer says a balmy 94. Hell that's wool blanket weather.

RE: towing the Cub 149 Hydro.
Ken & Kraig, my feelings exactly.
All: I assume that I lunched it, we towed it at least 3/4 of a mile and and the wife has a lead foot! Talk about a senior momment.

Any hint as to what parts might be damaged? If I can get the parts, I plan on rebuilding it.

While I have a new drive shaft, hub and pin, I still need the fan and a carburator gasket. I ordered them tonight. Once I get the engine back in and running I let you folks know what I find out.

Cal

Ken and Charlie, Us old timers remember the good ol' days under the old army blanket.

Ahhhhh, waaaa, I just came out of that relaps of the days of my "ute".

Back to the Cub Cadet subject, I was tinkering with a 123 in the garage and was thinking about the shape steer "fix" that I posted the other day. Check out the travel of the steering on this one with no mods.
227621.jpg

227622.jpg

Calvin - You'd be far ahead to just buy a good used pump assembly and trade'm out.

Tom - ... now hook the steering box back up to it
correct%20police.gif

That just aint natural !

Tom - If that's the factory paint on that onetwothree then that big narly run in the paint shows that they hung the frames by their nose for the PUREST out there.

... or they drove it really fast down the road before the paint dried !

Latest posts

Back