• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 12, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom if you are refering to this hub
298123.jpg

then your problem is rollpins this hub requires a hardend pin.

Tom S,

Did you replace the rag joint when you replaced your hub and drive shaft? Rag joints stretch and deteriorate over time and if the holes are worn/elongated, that can cause drive shaft to be off center and result in excessive wear on the hub end and premature drive pin failure. Also, are you using an OEM hardend steel solid drive pin? A hardware store roll pin will not hold up to the force of each power stroke from the engine very long.

There's not much adjustment on the engine but you can loosen the four bolts attaching it to the frame and move it slightly if you think the engine is cocked a bit and binding on the shaft but I would first be focused on the rag joint end. My $.02. Hope that helps.

Ron and Jeff,
Thanks for the input. I have been using roll pins as supplied by my Cub dealer on the hub that Jeff pictured. The rag joint is 2-3 years old and the holes are still pretty tight. If I put a small level, vertically mounted, on the engine mounting hub and the coupler arm attached to the hydro unit and neither indicates vertical and there is a difference. Tom

Tom S., WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

As others have said, a roll pin will not hold up there, you need the solid hardened "Dowel" pin.

Shultzie: this is the pin that Charlie is talking about, from his web site:

298136.jpg

As used in my 149:

298137.jpg

Tom Sabic: When I installed my new Hub in an old axle, it kept throwing the drive pin out until I put a hose clamp around the entire hub assembly.

298138.jpg

I would recommend getting a new driveshaft if you can afford it, I think it would help hold the pin tight. In fact, I believe someone posted recently that they try to heat the shaft and freeze the pin. Where I work they try not to do both, but either heat the drive shaft (which has the hole) or freeze the pin with dry ice; but not both.

Anyway, my two cents.
smile.gif

Tom S: If you really want to fix it, install a Quietline drive train with a rag joint at both ends, or at least that is what the experts counsel.

I think some folks need to read TC-113 & TC-157. That solid pin is only listed for the throw-out lever pivot. All others in the drive line are listed as the coiled spring pins (Spirols).

Hmmm... IH had built Cub Cadets for 15+ years and didn't know what parts to list in the official IH parts manuals?? Yeah, Um huh, sure...

I don't know part numbers, but I know my 129 came from the factory with a dowel pin, not a spirol.....
1a_scratchhead.gif

Latest posts

Back