• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 16, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
Ethan-

How lucky???!!! The 149 is my favorite cub. Since the "taking off" is an issue I'd get ready to split it and build your way back. The trunion slot will probably be a mess with plenty of slop in the linkage as well. I'd also replace the pump to rearend gasket while it's apart...it'd be terrible to find it leaking after fixing everything else.

I'm fix'n to get on a 149 and do some mowing right now in a few minutes.

Good find and I hope it has an accessory or two.

Wayne - and all this time I really thought you were a Narrow Frame guy. Wide Frames RULE!!!!!
bannana_guitar.gif

I grabbed the mower deck and the hanger/mule drive to night when I checked it out,this 149 appears to be quite complete and In rather good shape,the only trick is I have to sneak it out from behind and 35 foot sailboat that’s in a concrete “bunker” like thing...this boat is up on A frame jacks and the 149 is behind it.i may have to dismantle part of the 149 to get it to clear the wall of the bunker and the A frame jacks but it will be worth it to have two 149s

So...
Caleb is working on a 782, the fellow brought it to him saying he had mowed and parked,
Came back, started it up pulled away, throttled it up and blew the 10 amp fuse in it,tractor has a 17 with points and condenser,
Have disconnected the electric clutch and when you throttle up, blows the fuse,
Traced the wiring diagram and see the circuit runs through the safety switches and a reverse relay before making it to the coil,
I'm leaning towards a bad coil, or maybe a bad relay, any input???

Bare wire that rubs with increased engine vibration or throttle movement......trace the harness and check that......especially under the dash near the throttle lever!

Also check voltage regulator output with meter and harness condition, could have AC voltage hitting the fuse once the stator starts making current and higher RPM's

Ray -

Early mules were white. later ones were yellow. I had 6xxx that was white. 11207 was yellow
fwiw

Ray, as Craig posted below they could be either white or yellow. I prefer white with yellow lettering.
happy.gif

321386.jpg

Hi I have a cub cadet 1450 And It is running bad it is back firing spitting sputtering and just running bad! And I have done everything new points carb clean I adjust the valves and I just can’t figure it out. Do any of you guys know what it could be?

Quinn,

Sounds like an ignition issue. Did you try a new condenser connected to the coil? Is the condenser lead wire connected to the negative terminal on your coil? Did you try a new or different coil known to be good? Did you try a new spark plug? Sometimes new plugs can even be bad. What condition is the wire running between the points and the ignition coil? Check it to see if the insulation is brittle/cracked/failing causing it to short out intermittently, especially at the clamps holding it. Replace if cracked/brittle.

Quinn G.
I asked that same question many many years ago and got this response, LOL
CHANGE THE COIL DUMBA$$! LOL

Quinn G,

Regarding the coil, you can't use a regular automotive coil type on these Kohler engines. It has to have an internal resistor if I remember correctly. The sponsors at the top of the page can help you out with a new one. I think NAPA has a coil available for Kohler engines as well.

Ron

Thank you for the help Ron my condenser was one the + side of the coil and it is running so much better but it is still not running right. But I think it is because of the really old fuel filter. Thank you

I got the freebie 149 home without incident it appears to a 1971 model according to the Id tag,plus it was bought new from the place that a get my stuff from which is really cool...guess I’ll have to update my profile now LOL

Thanks all, this one fairly early #9842 I kinda like white, also from photos looks like sleeve assy is yellow and spring assist is white?

Back