• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 08, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbedell

displayname
Roland Bedell
Kraig:

Done.

What surprise me that people would think that a V/R does not have to be grounded. I have never seen a diagram or schematic that didn't indicate same.

Here is Roland's 1x2/3 Series wiring diagram with the pink ground wire. I also edited the Wiring Diagram Thread to remove the one without the Pink Wire and add in this one.

297994.jpg

THANKS Roland!

Holden,

The 38" and 42" decks had different belt covers on the first series 1965-1967 or about those dates. These decks had three cast iron sections, front middle and each end. These covers only have one hole for the spindle grease fitting, each size deck had different part numbers for the covers.

The 38 & 42 in decks after this period had a common belt cover, part#. The covers have two holes for access to the spindle grease fitting.

I am not sure of the two grease hole covers have the same mount hole pattern as the single grease hole covers.

What deck is yours?

I look mostly on the internet for parts if the sponsor's of the forum don't have. You can check the classified's here on this forum.

Jim

Jim, I believe Holden is looking for the blade shroud, not the belt guards.
dunno.gif

297997.jpg

To go back to the voltage regulator discussion
does anybody know the resistance value of the
resistor in the ground circuit? I have a couple
of voltage regulators that look brand new under
the cover but that little resistor is broken on
the back. I often thought they could be saved if
you could solder in a new resistor.

Ah yes, if that is what Holden is looking for he may have to make it.

Kraig and Jim, Thanks for the responses. Kraig is right, it is the blade shroud I am looking for. The one or some of it is completely deteriorated, so need a bit of stability on it. Will see what I can find to make one out of.

Ok thanks guys - I figured I'd rile ya up and get some feed back on the grounding of the regulator. No one picked up on the rubber isolated mount issue and that some V/R's don't have the little soldered wire on the back. I swear I've used V/R's that didn't have this wire and didn't have the pink ground wire in the harness - and they worked fine. Could there be some grounding devils in that mounting bracket that do somehow ground the case and pass the ground along to the internal V/R components?

And by the way, that new wiring diagram still isn't quite right - to my liking anyway. The PINK wire is in the harness and connects to the V/R mount. The diagram makes it look like the Pink wire is part of the V/R and goes to ground on the frame.

Jeremiah,

Figuring out the manufacture date is not too hard to figure.
Here goes:
Let's say you have a serial # of 76195.
Look at the Monthly Serial Number Report of the IH Louisville Works which was contributed by Paul R. Bell.
It will show that #76195 is under the Feb. 1964 listing.

Next, subtract the beginning number of Feb. from the beginning number of March. (78846 - 76095 = 2751) This is how many cubs were made in the month of February.

Next, find how many work days were in Feb. of 1964. There were 20 work days (Monday-Friday) in those days.
Now divide 2751 by 20 and it will give you how many cubs were made per day (137.55 cubs/day). It'll be close anyway. If you ever put one together from scratch, you will see how it could be 137.55/day!
err.gif

Next, since your #is 76195, and the beginning number for Feb. is 76095, your cub would have been the 100th made on the first workday (Mon.,Feb.3rd) because there were 137.55 cubs made each day.

Lastly, to figure out which hour, just divide 137.55 by 8 = 17.19375/hr. (assuming they worked a 8 hour day) Multiply this number by 6, and you will see they made close to 103 cubs in 6 hours. Yours is the 100th cub from the start, so it was made roughly in the sixth hour of the first workday (Monday, the 3rd) of February
thumbsup_old.gif

Harry-

If I remember correctly, the 86/1x8/9 use a voltage regulator with a ground terminal, so there would be no braided strap from the housing to mounting tab like the earlier ones, and the wire isn't necessarily pink.

There's no magic here; the regulator has to be grounded somehow or another or it will not work.

And by the way, that new wiring diagram still isn't quite right - to my liking anyway.

The Wiring Diagram that I came up with, was simply color enhanced version of the original IH Diagram.

Marty: Thanks for the tutorial on precision-dating Cub production from their serial number. You're right, its not too hard and fun to do.
smile.gif

Harry: You always seem to stir up at least of full page of responses. You should get into television and host a talk show on a cable news network. By-the-way, I stated at the outset that I have fairly severe color blindness, and wire insulation colors are notorious for fading. I do like reference to the Service Manual, though; I had forgotten it includes a wiring diagram.

Roland: When I said the diagram was "wrong" I was quoting Lewis. Although I posted your rendering (which I admire), I was referencing the IH schematic on which it was based.

All: I would still maintain the distinction between a schematic and a diagram. For instance, a diagram (such as found in the Service Manual) identifies each wire and shows where it goes; a schematic tells us what each wire does. Or again, a diagram is helpful (often necessary) for installing the wires; a schematic is helpful in troubleshooting the circuit.

To the point, from the logical, schematic perspective I only need to know that the V/R case is grounded, I can work out the details of how it is connected. From the practical, diagram perspective (like Marty's) I need to know what to do with the pink (!) wire in my hand; I'll figure out what it does later.
happy.gif
--that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

By-the-way, I found the new schematic from Roland before I found the discussion; what I noticed was the new, fancy, rendition of the breaker points and their connection to ground --nice! I never noticed the pink wire to ground at the regulator, but then, I'm color blind.

Edit: Did anyone else notice that the only wire colors NOT given in the Black & White Schematic Kraig posted are the wires to/from the battery? The yellow wire Lewis depicted is not called out.

well over here I see a lot of hubbub over nothing. How does an extra ground wire hurt on a Cub cadet . I don`t think it does and have added a few as years pass. my .02 But IT is interesting how technical you all can get and it does keep this great form alive . So Thank you for over here !

Jim, not exactly sure which deck I have, as it might have had some work done to it. It is a 38", and only ID it has is the S/N which is 0320016U101340. Sure would like to know for sure which model. I do have the list of manuals for the CC1250. but it shows 3 different models of mower decks, and no direct match from either of them.

Donald: It wouldn't hurt you to get a bit more technical sometimes, it seems to me that you managed to blow up a V/R with an "extra" ground wire not too long ago.
smile.gif

I post in jest, not to hurt your feelings.

Roland: Perhaps Harry would be satisfied if you incorporated all the wires/connections shown in Kraig's Black & White schematic, it could use a better representation of the breaker points as well as color call-outs for the wires to/from the battery.

298003.jpg

By-the-way, in which IH publication did you find this schematic, Kraig?

Jeremiah - ya, I like sturring things up a bit, and getting most postings
happy.gif

Kraig, Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - yup, that's the exact schematic/diagram I was referring to. See how the PINK wire is made to look like it's permanently affixed to the V/R and is to be connected to Ground. That's the part that bugs me - why didn't IH use one of those little circles like they show on the other components for ground connections?

Lewis - don't have a pic of one of those V/Rs. They look the same as the others with the standard BGF connector tabs and no separate grounding tab and the standard rubber isolated mount. Maybe I'm just wrong about the mount and it somehow is actually self grounding.

Matt - yes the 1x8/9 series uses a 4-connector V/R with 1 for a ground. Nice set up since I believe all 4 are push on type connectors too (or at least the ground is.

(Ok Jeremiah - I just couldn't stir it up this time - but maybe the above will raise the activity level).

Jermiha

Charlie did send me a new wiring harness for the 149 in the mail last week. I do need to clean some grounds up and install it tonight I hope.the 149 has not charged for a few years.and since I have broke down and sold my 147 ,102,122,and 100 in the last few months.
the 149 will be a keeper and my 61 Original 125, and I want to buil a 14hp wide frame with a creeper next winter.

My ccc 1512 diesel will see a turbo as soon as I get Back on my feet.

I sort a wish I had more Cubs to sell ,because over here one can get good $$$ for them if running.

Latest posts

Back