• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 07, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my math is correct, it sounds like ole Ben C has about 40 lbs more on his rear than he thinks...probably needs to adjust them bathroom scales to show correct weight...snicker
lol.gif

Myron B

Frank M.
I did one a couple years ago for a guy and just went to Rochester to a larger glass shop and they cut me a piece from a cardboard template and it worked great.
Most all those type places carry flat windshield glass, especially in farm country.
beer2.gif

TOM H. - If You make the trip to FARMALL-LAND You better save some time to stop at KINZE Mfg. too. Someone posted pic's on RPM's forum of the open house Jon had 7-4 with a lot of His pretty red iron displayed. Wyatt Compton went to college with Jon's daughter and has seen almost everything Jon has stashed away.... Sounds like You better plan of 4-5 hours just to take a quick peek!

On the wrench discussion & the front engine mounting bolts, GearWrenches ARE a Must Have. Son bought the large size metric 4-pc add-on set a month ago @ Sears for $40. It's a nice addition fo Our SAE & Metric set. I can pull those two 3/8" capscrews with a short socket & 3/8" ratchet by just lifting the front end of the tractor with the floor jack in the center of the mule drive. Takes longer to pump the 3-ton Sears floor jack up than to remove the four motor mount bolts.

I have a 1973 Cub Cadet 149 and it may be that the hydrostatic transmission is gone in it. My son is my mechanic and before I decide it's worth the $700 seal kit for that unit, I was wondering if there is another area we should look at repairing first. I read somewhere that those hydrostatic units don't usually fail, so I'm hoping it's something else.

We've just done a total engine rebuild and all new paint, so I hate to junk it. I bought it new the same month my oldest son was born, so it'd be like disowning one of my kids. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

William P:

Before ya get too excited, lets get some information. Just exactly what is wrong with the Hydro Unit...?? What is this $700.00 Seal Kit..??

We'll try & help you out, but need more information.

Myron: Thanks for the laugh!!! Since my heart problem I have taken 23 lbs. off. That 220 was hospital scales and I know who balances those things!!!!!!
bouncy.gif

Pops

Jim T
The tires and wheels were bought as a package. I tried to buy rims only but they were not available from CIH that way so I bought two pairs of the tires and rims. They require a 1 1/4" spacer to clear the inside of the fender pan.

Digger:
Thanks..I will try that and see. I am tired of looking at the spider crack that was there when I bought it. I still have to replace the antenna so I have cub tunes when I use the 1650. Radio and fan and wiper all work.

WILLIAM:
Don't give up that easy. Hydro units are available that are far less than $700. You can easily buy a whole tractor that has a ported hydro for less than that and swap the units at worst.

Thanks for responding, Roland, to my question about my Cub 149 hydrostatic trannie problem. Simply put, it won't move when the hydro lever is engaged. My son is the one who rebuilt the Cub, so has become pretty familiar with its components. He's not a tractor mechanic but is a federally certified aircraft airframe and powerplant mechanic. I know that doesn't make him a Cub expert either and it probably doesn't help the 149 won't fly. He replaced the sleeve or friction pad on the shift lever two years ago but possibly that let go???

In his research, he found that our local IH dealer has a kit for those hydrostatic units that includes seals and whatever else to rebuild it for $700. So that's as far as we've gotten without tearing the unit apart.

I'm glad to get further info if it would help.

William P.-

Does the driveshaft rotate when the engine is running? If not, then the pin at the driveshaft coupler on the engine is missing or broken. If the driveshaft turns, does the output shaft on the back end of the hydro turn? If not, then you have a missing/sheared spirol pin on the transmission input shaft. If neither of those situations describes your problem, check the fluid level. If that's okay, then I'd replace the hydro filter and change the fluid. Sometimes the filter gets plugged and nothing works.

William P:

There could be many problems that could arise that give you the condition you are experiencing.

Let's start with the obvious, is the fluid level to the proper level...??

board-post.pl

Latest posts

Back