• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 04, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
To all our Vets... Thanks for ensuring we have an Independence Day.....

260239.jpg

Kraig-

Do you still have the spirit model cub (I forget the proper name...spirit of America??)? Now would be a great time for a pic of one.

Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th!!!

Donald T.,

Here are pictures of the PO repair to the lift on the 149. Looks like the bracket broke and the PO made modications so the 42" plow could be mounted.

260245.jpg

260246.jpg

Does anyone have the equivalent to the TC-113 listing for a 149?

Jim

Laying down some red paint today. Low 80's, low humidity, very calm out and sunny. Everything is looking good, then...........as I'm sweating a drop falls off onto the a area that I just sprayed the tack coat on, and of course, thats on the hood. S.O.B.!

Thanks Frank-

I blame the memory, or lack of on age.

I also forgot the Spirit of '76 is a lawn tractor so it shouldn't be shown in this thread anyway.

Just a thought appropriate for the fourth...

James Krupar

I have no problems lifting a 42" blade . I think you have a pin broke on the shaft or some other issue . Is the lift part moving completely like it should. Let me know how much rotation you get when you lift the blade . Looking at your last picture I see a bolt where a pin should be . That bolt will allow a lot of play in the movement and will wallow out the holes if left like that.

James Krupar

260249.gif

item 17 is the rock shaft and 18 is pinned to it and so is 19 pined to the rock shaft. These are used to lift a mower deck. item 24 is the Plate Assy, Rockshaft that requires a pin. I would throw away the PO mod and repair what IH put on the tractor. It will do what you need if repaired correctly.

No time for IH cub cadets today but here is the slightly off topic pic for Wayne

260252.jpg

Jeff B

Did we break this darn thing ? I thought I gave out some correct info and I did not get a reply.
1a_scratchhead.gif

It is 33, hot here and humid from all the rain this past weeek.I`am testing some single malt out to see how it works when I`am burnt out from heat. Mowed 4.5 acres tonight with my zero turn ; It was slow going because I did full cuts and would take away 6" . I did hear the governor more than once lol.

Don T, It's Independence Day! Can you see the fireworks from Canada?

Bill James
we partied Monday some for Canada day. I don`t enjoy it like I used to .I think this is were we are the same. If all those big XXXXX(After all these years and I have to add language filters now!!!! Charlie) did half what they promise .I would be happy and I bet you all are in the same boat ! Enjoy the day ! One can dream can`t we.

big XXXXX(After all these years and I have to add language filters now!!!! Charlie)

You earned your right to complain . Enjoy the day my friend!
thumbsup.gif

Jeremiah - are you sure that's a 14hp head? I know the early 10hp came with a high boss head, and I believe there was one for a 16hp, but I've not heard of them for the other hp engines. I can see from your pics the spark plug hole is closer to the intake valve resulting in your tin cover not fitting correctly. If the head is correct then looks to me like you'll have to round out the spark plug hole or get a new cover (your cover seems to have part of the hole area cracked away anyway, but probably not a big deal).

Harry: Thanks for responding. Yes, the spark plug location is the issue, all right!

New Head:

260273.jpg

Old Head (flipped the opposite way):

260274.jpg

After closer examination, I noticed too that the fins on the old head were radiused to prompote air flow up and over the rear of the head. Look closely at the left edge in the picture below.

260275.jpg

I purchased the head from the Classified section of this forum; it was advertised as a "new" K321 head. Being new to the hobby, my eye was attracted to the "new" part --I wasn't thinking about the part being any more "correct" than proper for a 14 HP.

So, it seems I'll either be "running naked" with the new head (no tin), or I have to re-surface the old head anyway and heli-coil the spark plug hole. At least I can do it with the head off the engine and not attempt what Dennis Frisk did on one of his motors (he heli-coiled a new spark plug hole with the head on the motor --blew air in through the exhaust valve as I recall).

Live and learn, but I've lived long enough you would think I had learned something! (Why do I feel like I'm channeling Donald Tanner --One Step Forward, Two Steps Back.)
smile.gif

J.C., I'd just trim back the sheet metal to gain clearance for the plug & boot.

You could always plug the "wrong" plug hole and have a new "correctly located" hole created..

Or, if you don't want to harm the sheet metal, swap the head off for one that's more "correct".. Much ado for a small issue.

Trim the tin! LOL..

JEREMIAH - No... I drilled & tapped the spark plug hole from 14 mm threads to 18 mm threads and installed a D9 Champion plug. I've had bad luck with Heli-coils. I had to heli-coil the four 3/8" frame mounting bolts in the alum. oil pan on that K301 and they all pulled out or loose over time. I think if I could have found & installed the right length longer insert they would have worked better, only 3/8"-16 inserts I could find were only 3/8" long. People say you can use two or more inserts in a hole but I'm not convinced that's a good idea.

And yes, positioning the engine so the intake valve was closed & exh valve open and blowing air into the engine via the muffler did blow ALL the shavings from drilling/tapping out. Little grease on the drill bit & tap and when I was done there was NO DEBRIS in the engine combustion chamber. I ran the engine ten more years as my primary mower on 2+ acres.

Your "Old Head" is the newer style head with the plug located over the exh valve. Kohler did some research and discovered that change improved performance. The radius on the cooling fins might allow grass & debris to not stick and blow over the top of the head and not block cooling airflow.

If it was my engine, I'd cut/grind a notch for the plug in your cooling shroud and run it, But I would not run the engine without the shroud. Kohler engines are NOT a "Free Air" engine, meaning you can't rely on a breeze or movement of your CC to cool the engine.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I find that I happen to have two of these particular pieces of tin, so trimming one of them isn't an issue. But the fact that the new head has the high bosses for the bolts and lacks the radiused fins may be larger stumbling block, I'm not sure I can fit the shroud piece properly via the bolt holes on the side unless I at least grind some on the fins. Worst case, I will have to take some of the bosses down a notch too.

Dennis: I'm sorry for mis-representing your efforts on the spark plug, I had forgotten you were changing over to a whole new plug design.

Mike: I had hopes of doing a proper "restoration" of this particular tractor, but the more I work on it, the less likely it appears that I will achieve my desired objective. So, while it may be a little thing in the overall scheme of things; it's like a pebble in my shoe --it bothers me.
happy.gif

Don T.,

The149 is in worse shape than that. The pin holding item 19 has also been replaced by a nut/bolt combination. Will post in the wanted section for a set of replacement parts. Sounds like a project for next year. The safety switch is also by-passed so will have to figure out what part is missing.
a---allalone.gif

Jim

Back