• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 04, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom Hoffman

Put some soap in the water in a spray bottle. spray the area were you plan to put the decal. once in place push all the air from the center out. Let it dry and your done. The soap helps the decal become slippery so it can be moved or adjusted as needed.

Little Donnie Tanner!
Did ya miss the part about the textured surface?
biggrin.gif

Doug - how about a pic of your tin on the high boss head. If it doesn't fit a low boss then it might just be the tin that Jeremiah needs - since he put on a new high boss head (his old head is a low boss).

Mike: Yeah, I'm trying for maybe a 95% tractor. I don't want to be an instrument of confuguliation, or become one of those "Previous Owners" of whom people say, "Can you believe what this guy tried to do?"

It just isn't the right head for the application!

I think I'll wind up putting the old head back on, after I figure out how I want to repair it. I can understand why Dennis chose to re-tap for a larger plug --there just isn't a lot of metal there to work with. But then too, if I can find a Heli-coil to fit, I wouldn't have to worry about aluminum threads for the spark plug anymore.

Doug: Thanks for chiming in. I'm thinking that the head was originally intended for an earlier model Cub that featured the gas tank over a major portion of the head, with the battery behind it toward the dash, and the voltage regulator in front of it, also in the engine compartment. That would mean that it would have originally been designed for a 147. I don't believe the head was intended for non-Cub application; it came from a forum member who was getting out of the hobby and selling all his "stash" which included my head and several other items. He didn't identify the model number for his parts, simply the engine size. I may contact him to ask if he remembers or knows for which tractor the head was intended.

Harry: Some say that "God is in the details" others say that "The Devil is in the details." All I know is that the details can be-devil me because I feel that somehow God is watching. I really don't want to grind on a perfectly good, and possibly rare, head just to "make it fit." Neither do I wish to cobble disparate tin pieces together to create a heretofore unknown configuration. I will post a closeup of the fit-up issues I foresee if the current High-Boss head is retained. (Psst, Doug: I'll show you mine, if you show me yours --just kidding.)

I'll tell you all one thing, though, I'm mighty tempted to re-use the head gasket, despite the fact it has been compressed: it's still fresh, and I would think it would retain its holding power with the proper torque.

Jeremiah-

If it were mine I wouldn't think twice about just using the old head. Most auto supply stores sell the helicoil kits for spark plugs. Get some Loctite while you're there. When done right it shouldn't give problems. I'd also make sure you resurface the head and use a NEW Kohler head gasket. Torque the head to 25 ft/lbs, run the engine up to operating temps, shut off and let cool completely then re-torque to 30 ft/lbs and you're good to go.

I'd also increase the amount of MMO you mentioned you use. I'd do at least 1/2 oz./gallon or 5 ozs./10 gallon can. I just pour a guesstimate every time I fill up and probably are closer to an ounce a gallon. I don't premix in otherwords.

Just my .02 worth...

J.C., I completely understand your position! And, I'd have no issue with using a heli-coil!

I wouldn't bother using the thread locker as the heat at the plug will only consume the material anyway. But, I would place a small amount of anti-sieze on the plug threads before installation.

I would use / re-use the head gasket since it hasn't gone through a heat cycle yet.. Should be fine.

Roger Hatley - They did make a yellow and white 682, but that was after IH sold the garden tractor line to Cub cadet, which would be in the other thread on here for CCC machines after 1981.

Charlie "Digger" Proctor
(Little Donnie Tanner!
Did ya miss the part about the textured surface )

No I did not miss that part.I would be willing to put a wager out on this one ! The soap will allow you to move the decal around some and won`t stick fast till after all the soap has be forced out by rubbing the decal from the center. A small pin should be used if there are any bubbles in the decal. Just stick the decal with a pin and apply some pressure to remove the air or water. BTDT Many times.

Back