• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 30, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
Darn, a whole new page and nothing to say. Ya, like that's gonna happen. Just came out of the cellar where I've been stoking the stove and painting wheeeee ls. I know
worthless.gif
, but I beg forgiveness, and have to trust you to believe that the paint fumes got to me. I also registered on another Cub site tonight, so now I've got here and across the road on both sides. Here's best IMHO.
tophat.gif
If you look under the hat you'll find a bad rabbit. If you take it at face value, it looks like Honest Abe to me.
old.gif

Wayne C.--
You're in Athol? I'm in Sagle-20 miles away. Where you finding those Cubs? I never see any!!

Marty - You could paint the blade surface with Slip Plate or another brand of graphite paint. Then, go fast (and maybe angle the blade a little more)!

Did all 147's come with electric lift, or was that an option? Mine obviously had one, but it now has a crudely added manual lift. I understand that the electric lifts often "went bad" and were replaced with manual lifts, but I'm wondering what actually went bad?. Did the motor actually burn up (windings melt & short out or open up, etc) or was there some other common cause of problems? I'm trying to decide whether or not to put an electric lift back on this tractor (if I can find one), but don't know if it's worth the effor (or cost). (I really don't even know what I'm going to use it for yet, but the idea of having an operational electric lift appeals to me.)

Greg, There are ways to find cubs, just like hunting .Look for yellow and white all the time, . Ill have all my cubs at the bigbackin at Spirit Lake ID, Fathers day . All eight and all the implements. I ride all them in the poker run there. They also have the lawnmower drag races and I want to try a 127 in the stock class. Go to bigbackin.com. Nice 147, maybe see ya sometime.

Matt G - Thanks for mentioning a couple weeks ago that you've successfully opened and repaired ignition switches. I bought a used light switch for my 1450 and when I got it I found it didn't work. Based on your comment, I decided I had nothing to lose and opened it up. I found the inside components in good condition, but badly gummed up and coated with a film that prevented electric continuity. I cleaned off the crusty film and shined up the parts with 00 steel wool, coated it with new dielectric grease, and closed it up again. Works like a champion! Sorry, no pics.

I then did the same thing with the switch I was replacing, and it works now, too. Never know when I'll need a spare. Anyway, thanks again. I hadn't even considered "breaking the seal" on the switches until you mentioned that you'd done it to an ignition switch.

thumbsup_old.gif

G.L, I cant see much worth in the Electric lift . They are perfect for tillers I read. That makes sense but both of my 147s are minus the motors.All thats left are the old brackets. One has a homade lift arm. I always thought they all came with lights and lift. .Im putting a spring assist on one. For snow blade.

hey none of you answered my post,,,,,,is a cub 71 worth getting and fixing up,,,,are they rare or anything?????any help would be aprciated,,,,thanx guys

Corey, Welcome
groupwave.gif
. Sorry, I have one, I wouldn't call them any more rare than any cub built 32 or 33 years ago. Standard answer is any cub is worth it. It's all in what your willing to do with it. It's prolly going to need some work but a 71 is about as basic as it gets. Most parts are available. Go for it.

TERRY R. - Yes, keeping trailer & load to around loaded tractor weight is safer, but paying heed to ground conditions, traction, etc. is still necessary...that's why I posted the approx. weights of the FARMALL M & wagon I was pulling that slid down the hill.

Normal operation hauling in corn, oats, hay etc. on the farm was a 5000# tractor pulling up to a 10,000# wagon. When Dad upgraded wagons I had to drop a gear on some hills with the Super H. With the smaller wagon I could pull any hill in 4th, about 6-1/2 mph, but with the BIG wagon 3rd gear (5 mph) was all the load it could handle. My Buddy hauled corn away from a combine this fall, think He was using a 7810 JD FWA and a grain cart with well over 800 bushel capacity. He ran out of traction on wet ground a couple times. 800 bu. of wet corn is over 50,000# plus the weight of the cart. I noticed the farmers around home with similar sized tractors & grain carts never ran WFO with loaded carts this fall, but when empty were making time!

The dump cart I use on my 982 has a 3000# gross capacity and I know I've at least approached if not exceeded it a couple times. My 982 with weights & 50C deck must weigh 900-1000#. That cart weighs about 600# empty, and it would be NO problem pulling it with the 70 with it's tired old K181, even with a big load of brush or ???? on, but without hydraulics to dump the cart it wouldn't make sense.

Corey, i love my 71! i wouldnt call them rare either but there good basic tractors, mine is a worker and has done just about everything ive ever asked of it!
184822.jpg

184823.jpg

got the 782 home last night man how do ya read thoses hour meters? but she is nice n clean starts right up has a little creep but need to change fluid n filter ill throw some pictures up in a bit

thanks Greg ill keep that in minde, now im just trying to identify the year sn is 703642 but thought after 70000 they had black axels and aluminum rear, this has red axels and a cast iron rear
url]

url]

url]

and i must add ive been to the FAQ and cant make cense out of my model no an sn
model number 1-42782399 sn number 205-0585u-703942

Roger-

Aluminum rears didn't come until S/N 719,999. All tractors MTD built before that S/N used iron rearends and other leftover IH-built parts, which is why yours likely has a mix of IH and MTD parts.

Under edit: Nice looking tractor! That looks a lot better than mine. And much better than that Darth Vader thing in the background
lol.gif

Howdy guys, can anyone here tell me the width dimensions for a sleeve hitch adapter for a narrow and wide frame cub? thanks

To comment on the earlier posts about weighted tractors and loads...i use my 1960 Original to pull EMPTY hayracks around our farm. It works pretty well...gives her a good workout!

Latest posts

Back