Archive through January 29, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we need a sandbox thread of Saftey do's and Don'ts. That might be good

Jim, try to find out which snow blower your asking about.

Tristan. Just remember you can pull more load than you can stop when pulling a trailer with a cub cadet. I use a 5x10 tilt trl. and when using it to move in close places i wish it was 5x8. I use it behind my truck or my cub cadets. I have a 16 ft. for moving my 3000 ford tractor with bushhog or plows.

184768.jpg

Moving carts/trailers with a CC is really a function of available traction. If You have ag lugged tires on dirt or dry grass they will move WAY more than You would think. Or turf tires on concrete or blacktop, same thing. But like Jerry B says, once You get into a hilly situations weight transfer takes over and can sure push You around. One afternoon when I was about ten yrs old a half-full flarebox wagon with maybe 50 bushels of oats pushed Me and the '51 M down a real steep & short hill on the back of the farm the Folks lived on for 34 yrs. The left rear wheel was NOT spinning, it was sliding on loose straw from the combine, I had the brake locked. I probably only got up to 15 mph and was able to stop without wadding the whole thing into a ball by the time I got to the big creek just beyond the bottom of the hill. Wagon & oats weighed maybe 2500#, the M maybe 5500-6000#. Took a while to get my heart out of my throat, Dad was about 200 feet away on the SM-TA running the combine watching the WHOLE thing!

Blanket statement I could agree with is if You have flat ground, then a 6X12 or so car trailer is fine to pull with a CC, even little 7 & 8 HP tractors. If You have hills or slopes then stay with something small, like a 4x8 or smaller depending on how steep the slope. I moved a LOT of Stuff at Dad's getting ready for his auction 3-1/2 yrs ago with a cart that size with my 129, even in mud & rain with turf tires.

My dump trailer is 50" wide x 70" long with 18" tall sides including the metal 12" tall sides plus the 5" tall sideboards, and when it gets a load of dirt or rock up onto the sideboards when it's hooked to the 3-pt hitch adapter on the 982 it lifts the frt wheels off the ground without any problems, even with the 50" deck still mounted. I should pull the deck & mule drive and put my 120# of suitcase weights on but it would be too long to fit in the garage then.

These little tractors are very traction limited, both on starting loads moving and stopping them safely.

I've got a J... D.... Model 80 yard cart, a 4x8 lightweight flatbed, the good 4x7 woodhauler and a 3500 GVW 12' V-nosed enclosed.. I pull all of 'em fully loaded with the 129 on flat ground, but even the 80 can push the 129 around on a downhill when heaped with gravel.. BTW - trailers are like floor space in a shop - never enough...
clappy.gif

Cool here today, only gonna be a high of 74 - had to wear a long sleeved shirt yesterday when I went on a Cub scouting ride....

Tristan: If the immediate concern is having a trailer to move your stuff into your new barn, you can use my 6x10 landscape trailer. That said, most trailers are sitting idle most of the time and I'll bet you know someone closer that would gladly lend you one.
coffee.gif

Kendell Ide
tea shirt weather you got lol. Did you see anything interesting on 2 or 4 wheels ?

Dennis Frisk
Thanks for that post! I know we get in a rush and don`t think of safety, but we should always stand back and have another look before we do something we will regrect. I know a guy here local that wishes he had put some thought into his task. he was cutting a grove in a board on the table saw flat handed. well the table saw blade caught the board and it went flying and his right hand is now four stubs and a thumb.I have seen some perty terrible cut and body parts gone working in the stock room at the plant. The first aid room was in the stock room. Safety First.......... Later Don T

Speaking of stopping loads on hills, traction is an issue, but with my 126 I've never been able to keep the brakes in good enough shape to lock the wheels. Even with new pads I've never been happy with them. Is this an issue with mine or do the external discs just not work very well?

Jerry

DON T. - Thanks. Wise suggestion about stepping back and looking something over. Trips to the hospital waste a WHOLE lot of time!

As I commented in a post yesterday, I'm a Tool Jumkie. Therefore Son's a Tool Junkie too. Son runs Everything in the shop EXCEPT the tablesaw. The video He saw of the board catching and going THROUGH the crash test Dumby in shop class is not something He wants to try. I'm actually much more afraid of hand-help circular saws.

JERRY M. - Every external brake CC I've had has been a hydro, they really don't need brakes at all! Best thing I can say is the steering brakes on my 982 I can lock and slide the inside rear wheel on a tight turn. Used to do the same thing with Dad's old 4010 JD cultivating corn with the frt mounted cultivator. For some reason in 1961 JD decided tractors didn't need to make tight turns anymore.

Hi guys. I was going through cubfaq to match myself up a pair of halogens. I went to a few different auto parts stores and no one has been able to match up that ge number. Did that model get discontinued or did it change?

Ahhhhh finally two hours seat time! Snowblade is still fun. Need a tighter clutch and more weight! Too much fun! Second time in four years here in missouri.

Jerry M. Re: Brakes. I rebuilt the disk brakes a couple years ago on my 147. Even kinda resurfaced the disks. They still are not the greatest thing. I suspect part of the problem is the way the linkages are designed...too much 'spring' in them to exert max force at the pad assy. JMHO

Dennis: (and I bow to your experience and wisdom) could you explain why hydros don't really need brakes?
smile.gif

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
hydros only need brakes when the engine stops
help.gif
biggrin.gif

I can go there. How's about parked on a hill and shut off?
1a_scratchhead.gif

And while I'm thinking about it, since there's both manual and auto relief valves, which ones would be better if you were to park that hydro on a hill with no brakes?
fence.gif

I can type faster than Don - he just uses 2 fingers.
beerchug.gif

Of course, he also has high speed v.s. dial up.
bash.gif

When moving a trailer, the best rule of thumb is to always keep the weight of the trailer, plus any load on it, to weigh less than the tractor and operator. If not, stopping is a problem or even moving uphill would be a problem. I think we all seen that video of the little European car pulling a big camper uphill, only to have the camper dragged the little car back down the side of the hill it tried to come up.

Good cub time today
put new tires on the 1200 and replaced the coil on the same (it leaked oil) so now its running again.
put front axel, tires, and steering column on the 129 waiting for warm weather to wash it while i have the motor out

Hey frank and don, I have a 147,without brakes, or at least brake pads, and was working on a large stone retaining wall. I was hauling the stones from the street to the back of the yard, which was all down hill, with the cub and a 4x8 trailer.It was working and stopping great. So I decided to see just what this lil thing could handle. I piled on double the bricks that I was previously carrying.Prolly about,at least, 1000 pounds. Well, this time, on my way down the hill, the hydro "let go". As if in nuetral. Scared the crap out of me!NO BRAKES!! I threw the contol lever all the way back before something grinded in there and caught just in the nik of time... Now, my hydro still works fine, but i can push it around the shop without starting it. I dont think im supposed to b abe to move it that freely without starting it. So I guess I messed something up. But it still works and moves. Anyway, you can believe Im going to put brake pads on it. There is a limit to what these hydros will STOP. Also, I have seen rearend castings break where the "trailer hitch" bolts to the rearend. So there is also a weight limit that the casting itself will hold. It might pull a 16 foot frailer around. But Im not sure if Id put 1500 pounds on top of that trailer. Although, I have done some amazing work with this little cub.Stuff that my friends or myself wouldnt think it would do. They are freakin mean little machines. But they arent invinsible.
wedgie.gif

With the engine shut off, a hydro equipped Cub parked on a slope will eventually teach you why it needs functional brakes.. Just before the release valve's pressure bleeds down, it'll kinda groan a little bit to let you know it's leaving for points south (or wherever that forsythia bush is that you've nursed back to health at least twice, from previous hit n' runs)
clappy.gif

Don - nothing to speak of....

Hey to all you guys up north that get all the snow. We finally got some snow down here in NC. After a little thought, I decided to try out my front blade. First, I had to dig it out of 9.5 inches of snow.
184784.jpg

Then I brought it inside.
184785.jpg

After a few adjustments, it was ready to use.
184786.jpg

184787.jpg

184788.jpg

I sure had fun today with my 128.
One question, how do you keep the snow from sticking to the blade and turning it into a snow ball? The blade doesn't work too well with all that snow stuck to it.

Latest posts

Back