• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 25, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbraddam

displayname
greg braddam
Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a while but thought I would share my latest find. Picked up 2 Cubs on Friday. One is a 1250 and the other a 1450. Both had decks but were pretty much shot. Haven't messed with the 1250 but the 1450 fired up after sitting for about 6 years. It runs pretty good but has some blow by. Will run it for a while and see how it goes. And the best part,,, $150 for both. Thinking the 1450 is going to be restored. I like it too much to part it out. The 1250 I think I'm gonna part out. Will try to get some pics up soon.

GREG- nice find! is the 1250 in that bad of shape to be parted out? i would snatch it up in a heart-beat,but have enuff irons in the fire.

Jclazer, to be honest it really isn't. But I have a 128 that would love to have the newer style K301 from the 1250. Don't know for sure yet which way I'm gonna go with it. May just rebuild the 128's engine and keep the 1250 too. I'm gonna think on it for a week or two before I decide to do anything.

I'm using the electrolysis method of rust removal (and paint softening) on the 1250 I'm restoring and it woks great. But I have a question for the experts who've used this method: will it cause any damage to grease fittings? It doesn't seem like there should be any problem, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?

Matt W., the Kt(17hp) series I used a splash type oiling system like the single Kholers. The problem was that running this engine on hills or inclines the engine was not fully lubricated. This led to internal engine parts becoming external engine parts via the engine block. The KT series II was also 17hp, but used a pressurized oiling system. A series II engine has an oil filter(I think). I came across a 682 cub last year, that had a replacement Mag 18 engine(pressure lubrication also). But I have since sold it to my brother.
I don't remember who posted last year about all GT names that had earned bad rep's because of the KT series I engine.

Thanks for all the advice on the 126 fellas. I talked to the guy today and decided not to persue it. The 'plow' was actually a snow blade which I already have and not the brinly plow that I want, and the duals are all turfs and not the ag tires I want. I didnt ask any more about it after that. He was negotiable on price though, so if anyone is ineterested in it its listed on craigslist in pittsburg pa. I'll keep searching for one of those really good deals
wink.gif

Hey guys, Well I didn't go and check out the 122 like I was planning on this weekend some other stuff came up. But I do have another question about it. This tractor does have the creeper gear but does it have anyway of locking the rear differential or is it open all the time. Thank you in advance. Jon

Greg:
Not in my experience...Actually, a grease zerk is a steel fitting, steel ball and steel spring... I was worried about parts that had brass, pot metal and aluminum, but so far haven't had any problems in cleaning up my lathe parts...

KT-17 Oiling:

KT-17 Series I were not splash lube in the same sense as the K series singles. They used an oil pump (~5 psig) to supply lube to the cam, but holes in the cam sprayed oil down on the rods....no pressure.

The Series II used the same system, but the oil pressure was upped to ~50 psig and the crank journals were drilled for full presure lubrication of the rods. Mag twins use the same system, but with an external filter.

Kendell - Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear about your good results. I've been very pleased so far, too.

Bryant G. A 1250 shouldn't rattle that bad. When you say you changed the motor mounts that really doesn't tell us anything as there are many different types of mounts that people try and different ways they do it. Give us a hint what you used and how you did it.

Another thing that can cause vibration is if your drive shaft isn't running true. Bad couplers or a bent shaft will cause you problems.

Is your engine properly tuned up?

Matt W. Steve Blunier just answered your question about the Series I and Series II. Attachments aen't that hard to find for them either.

Thank You Steve.

Also note that if a kt-17 burns oil it can consume TWICE as much! The one we found is eatint 36-40 ounces of oil per hoiur after just over three hours run time. Needed to know what shape the rest of the tractor is in before spending money on the motor. Was able to mow just over half an acre last thursday at 65 degrees out and now they are sending ice again!

MATT W. - Todd & Steve pretty well answered Your question about the KT-17 series I & II engines. Series I engines are what early jd 317's came with. Local shop back in the day said a well cared for KT-17 series I was ready for rebuild around 1000-1200 hrs. jd 316's & 318's had ONAN engines which IMHO are a worse engine. IH only used them in the 982 and a few in the later 2072's for a short period of time.
Like I said yesterday common attachments like mowers , snow blades, snow blowers, moldboard plows, tillers, are easy to find, demand has driven up the $$$ the last couple years.
There's a lot of common parts between the green & yellow/white tractors, engines, hydro's, wheels & tires. Gear drive CC's are however in a class all their own. I guess that's why quarter-scale pullers are after them all the time. I personally think IH has a better attachment mounting system, no tools required, more commonality between tractor models, You can switch between attachments in only a couple minutes. Kinda like IH's Fast Hitch they built on full size farm tractors back in the mid-1950's till the 1970's, Pretty much "Click & Go!"

JONATHAN W. - No locking differential in CC's, unless You want to make it a "LINCOLN LOCKER". With proper tires & weighting they really aren't necessary IMHO.

Dennis:
I thought that was a <font color="0077aa">"Blue Locker"</font>.....
lazerburn.gif

morning guy i was talking to a guy today an he said he has a 1950s cub cadet with a plow chains weights an a blower an a few other things he told me to come see it an make him an offer its been in his shed for years he dont even know if the motors good so i might go lool at it this friday or monday depends on the weather i know cubs started in the 60s so i cant wait to see what he has

Kraiq I started the priming of the 129 loader fenders today. I knew this was going to be some work lol.I must get moving on it as it has sat apart since the fall. I hope to have it back together in a few weeks.Have a great Cub Day. later Don T
old.gif

113797.jpg

113798.jpg

Back