• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 23, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys; Jim S here. I'm at Don T's working on the 149. It has a knock in the motor, primarily at idle. Hard to pin point even with a stethescope but sounds like either wrist pin or rod bearing?? Motor was supposedly rebuild before Don bought the tractor!! Was wondering if these motors have any habits of this sort. Checked points, set valves, carb etc. Before I tear it down I thought you fellows might offer some input.
Thanks JIM S

Don T : Here is a picture of what that knock can lead to if it is the balance gears.
76025.jpg

A quick browse through the Kohler manual may very well confirm what your indicating. My first impressions on this noise was detonation. Cam timing or spark advance!! Looks like the guys that put this motor together may have missed the MARK(s).

Jim S

Kendell, my balance gears never make noise. None found in my K301. I would still like to know the serial # brake for those, with or without. Thats about all I have to say about that.

Jim S. I think most single cyl. Kholers don't use a rod bearing.

Guys,
Can someone post the torque proceedure for a Kohler 301 head? Or provide a link? I looked in the archive and too much there to pick out from. Urgent, snow falling like crazy!!!!!!
Chris

Hey guys.I've got a question here for the older cub pro's.I have a peerless trans and related 90 degree gear box from a 1100.Can I transfer this into a 126 along with the disc brake assembly? I have a 12 hp kohler to power it.Thank you.K.W.

Charlie, nice pic. The oversize on my engine is on the intake side of the piston, not that it matters as long as ya can tell what you have.

Kudos on the rod bearings (I didn't Know) but this balance gear situation looks to be the next step. Jim S

Chris; go to FAQ find the Kohler manual link for your motor and its all there.
bash.gif

Chris P.
Not to sound rude, but it's incomprehensible to me that someone would open up and engine without a manual on the work bench.
dunno.gif

Chris P. You will need to re-torque the head after runnin it awile also. Good Luck!

Wow, sorry to bother you! I do have the manual on cd but my drive is broken. Didnt mean to put anyone out!!!!! Geezzzz.

Chris P.
Ya know I thought about being diplomatic in my reply, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought better of it and decided to email you direct!

I apologize to all of you, I was in too much of a hurry. I'll be sure to check out the FAQ next time, ok? Again, sorry, I'm learning here and thanks to you people, I have learned alot.

Latest posts

Back