• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 22, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith W. Try your e-mail in your profile. I sent the problem there. Charlie wouldn't like a chevy forum
angel.gif

I was getting the 129 out to clean up the driveway this afternoon, and as it had set for about 6 days in the unheated barn, I had to run through my cold weather starting routine. Got me to thinking, both motors I've had in the 129 (this covers more than 22 years) started exactly the same way in very cold (let's say 15 degrees or colder)weather. Most of this is due to the speed that the automatic compression release kicks out at, but once I learned it's routine, I've very seldom had to resort to a battery charger (two batteries in 22 years, also). If you just open the throttle and pull the choke out, it'll crank until it fires, but it's jussst at that speed that it'll kick back on the starter rather than start. Now, if you open both and as you crank, start pushing in on the choke, usually by the second or third revolution, it'll start firing and usually catch. If it kicks back, you start all over again, throttle open, choke open and start closing the choke as you crank it.
How does this match other's cold weather (non block heater or battery charger) routines ??
coffee.gif

Kentuck, don't you ever go to sleep?
Yes you are all correct, safety first, or as my friends in Japan say, Safety Dai Ichi, (& that explained why the Hotel I was staying in once was called the Dai Ichi Hotel, not much imagination when translated.
About 5 minutes after we took those pics we scrounged another bit of ply about 15 inches wide ,happened to be the correct length, & jammed it in the front. You might just see it here. That, covering the wheels for the same reason, & shortening the tow bar length are some of the improvements needed. Kids don't just stay put, they jump about & muck around (& have fun).
75985.jpg

Todd-

Aluminum has a much smoother finish than cast iron. In my opinion, it would look kinda weird in cast iron. As for the dash, that's an awfully complex shape to mass produce cheaply out of metal.

Ummm, my 169's grille casting is cast iron and it doesn't look weird at all...

The upper casting is AL, though. If anything, the dissimilar materials don't look as cohesive as say a Quiet Line with AL grille and upper castings...

Kendell, that sounds similar to my 125, crank the starter while you do the choke/throttle dance. With mine it's ~3/4 choke and full throttle for a several revolutions then pull back the throttle until it hits the sweet spot, about 1/3 throttle, where it fires. And yes with mine if I don't hit it just right the ACR kicks out and stops it.
bash.gif
When it gets really cold I use a magnetic heater stuck to the bottom of the differential to warm up the Hy-Tran so the engine cranks faster, works great. BTW, the magnetic heater trick was a suggestion from David Schmidt.

With all the discussion of cold starting engines with Hydrostatic transmissions, Does it make sense to use the release lever when starting? (the lever on the the right side of the tunnel that allows a hydro to be pushed)

Or is that a bad idea ?

On a different topic, I bought a 127 that runs fine so I can push snow while my 147 waits to be fixed. The 127 has a black engine which I assume to be a replacement. I can't find a serial number on it. There is a Kohler tag with model and spec numbers so I know it is a 12hp. Would the serial number be someplace hidden on the engine?

The 147 needs a replacement gas tank. There is a lot of rust that comes out in the gas which fouls the carb. I guess this means there was water in there at sometime. I've read about someone using a large tumbler to clean out the rust. Should the inside be coated after that? I wonder if the rust indicates that a hole is gonna open up soon. I've solder automotive gas tanks before but it might be easier to just get a replacment.

Paul, the release lever will have no effect on cold weather starting, when the engine is turning the hydrostatic pump is pumping Hy-Tran. The black engine is a replacement, there might be a decal on the engine shroud under the fuel tank bracket.

I let others tackle the rusty fuel tank, I'd like to hear the answer to that myself as I'll have to deal with one soon too. I know it's been answered before so I guess I(we) could do a forum search....

KRAIG - I used one of those stick-on heaters on the flat bottom oil pan on the K241 I had in the 72 also. Unfortunately won't work on K301, 321, 341's because of the sump. I'd even run the snow blower to clean the driveway years ago with the heater still attached.

Kraig; We used to use those oil pan heaters on import cars but you had to watch out that they don't burn the oil to the bottom of the pan (sump) eventually causing sludge issues. This one looks much nicer than the ones we used to use.
Jim S

I was wondering if IH ever made sand spreaders for the CUB CADETS or has anyone built one themselves. I have a brutal driveway and am going to need something to sand with.

Thanks Jim S

Jim S., while not specifically for sand I would think it could be used for sand...

75990.jpg

Jim T., while looking for that info above for Jim S., I came across this, perhaps your belly blade is a Covina???
dunno.gif

75991.jpg

Thanks Kraig; looks like that would be the ideal unit. Now to find one!!

Latest posts

Back