• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 22, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pointers to the gas tank discussion.

Because I rarely throw away "good" things, I have a spare working clothes dryer. I will add some bolts and nuts and chain with some sort of fluid (Kerosene?) to the rusty tank. Then wrap it in some old towels or blankets. I'll let it tumble for a while. I want enough padding so that the tank doesn't move.

Of course, I will disconnect the heater element first.

Actually, we recently replaced our dryer because it was making a nasty sound. The old one has been out in the garage for only a week, waiting to be scrapped.

Bigger picture.

75993.jpg

Paul, I don't recall if that other discussion mentioned it but keep in mind that the Cub fuel tanks have a divider inside that divides it into 2/3 and 1/3 sections so don't use too small of nuts, bolts, whatever as they could get caught in the 1/3 size section or in the passageways....

Gas tank tumbler - use a barbecue grill rotisserie motor, a simple wood frame to hold the tank, with a support bearing on the side opposite where you mount the motor. I used a handful of drywall screws and soap/water.. ran for a couple of days. Clean inside after that..

Kendell - Should the tank be removed from the Cub first ?

Spence - I built a tow spreader once but why not just buy a tow behind spreader now so you can use it this winter while looking for the one Kraig posted.

Hi guys, Well, I pulled the head off the 12hp Kohler and sure enough, the head gasket was blown. So, is it safe to assume that either the bolts werent holding it down properly, warped head or jug, or all of the above? I must confess, I did not use a torque wrench, is it that critical?

Chris - Is it critical when the doc gives you a shot that he uses the correct amount ??????

The 301 Kohler in my 102 is ready for an overhaul. Does anyone know of someone in the SE Minnesota area who has a good reputation for rebuilds?

Let's add one more method to the tank cleaning I learned from a friend. Fill tank with your favorite liquid and media, bungi strap to rear wheel on a Cub, yes has to be a Cub
happy.gif
, then plow your driveway or mow your lawn or what ever is you do.

Brendan,
That method would work well on a Deere. I'm not too sure if a Cub has what it takes...
wedgie.gif

Carey

Chris: Yes!!!!! I have a old set of Craftsman torque wrenches I swear by. Also I would check that head real close also. Might be a good time to mil it 20-thousandths. With out hurting the cooling ability. Did that with my 10hp and it made a difference.

Pops------Ok I am ducking!
bouncy.gif

Carey...guess I deserve that huh
lol.gif

I always say turn around is fair play .

Bren,

Yes I suppose it is. I was wondering if Doug told you that trick..

Carey

No , a friend in Bainbridge. He does that all the time , works great.

Kendell, Ken,
Rotflmao!!

Latest posts

Back