• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 20, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The steering knob on my 129 came from the (defunct in our area) Farm and Fleet. It was made for tractors, not cars..The only issue I've had was - as stated - the rim of the 129 wheel was a little small, requiring a shim of fuel hose to make it tight. I took it off the 8 horse MF when I got the 129 in '85 - it might slip a little bit, always has, I get around to fixing someday...

The necker knob that is on my 122 fits the steering wheel at a spoke and it's cast iron top and bottom with a wood knob. I think it would last another 40 years with daily use.

What are you guys doing on your Cubs that you need these so-called Neckers Knobs?

necker's knob (plural necker's knobs)
1.(idiomatic, slang, dated) A knob attached to the steering wheel of an automobile, especially before the widespread availability of power steering, helping the driver steer with one arm and leaving the other arm free to provide romantic attention to a companion.

Rick, one hand on the wheel, one on the hydro control lever and one on the lift, wait, that's three hands. Oh never mind.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hmmm... I've never liked suicide/necker knobs. Seems like I hit my hand on it too much. But I also never grew up using one like my dad did.

I eliminated the need for that many turns anyways. The newer OT cubs w/ power steering go lock-to-lock in .75 turns. Yes that's three fourths of a turn. Yes, even my IH 782 has received the upgrade. Now I just need to get a pump on the 128...

Only one MAJOR downside. You can't freaking steering the thing if its not running! Oh well, win some, lose some.

Yep, Kraig is right......

When running the snowplow (yes I said plow LOL) on the 149 (the hydro lever is "loose"... lets put it this way, it gets bored really quickly and wander off if you leave it alone for more that 30 milliseconds). You grab the hydro lever with your left hand, and with this tractor you do not let go of it while it is running.... you hook your right thumb around the knob (on this tractor the knob is installed at about 2:00), and grab the hydro lift lever with your right ring and pinky finger. (done this once or twice......)

Now on the Quietlines its a bit different. You grab the knob with your left hand (the knobs on these are at about 11:00). You grab the hydro lever with your right thumb and side of your hand. Use your middle finger and palm to run the lift lever, and your ring finger and pinky finger to run the lever for the hydro angle......

Moving snow keeps you busy.... and the other thing you have to remember while doing this is to hold on with your 3rd hand, and knees on the dash tower so you don't end up on the hood when you are using BRS!!!!

Scott,
To continue with your post......
With a gear drive you have one hand on the spinner knob and the other around your choice of "cool tool". lol
beerchug.gif

Shultzie,

I am spoiled by the hydro/hydro tractors. In our tenure, we've owned a total of 13 Cub Cadets. Only 1 has been a gear drive, a 124. Actually, we have only owned 3 narrow frames, the 124, a 105 (our first Cub in the early 70's) and I now have a 127 (has issues). Everything else has been a wideframe, and only a couple of them are manual lift. I am much more at home on a hydro as that is what I grew up on. I was born in 74 and Dad got the #1 149 in spring of 78, so it just seems more "natural" to me. The 124 felt really cumbersome to me, and all we did with it was mow. The 149 did EVERYTHING else, and mow when the 124 was OOS. Not trying to start the gear/hydro debate, but Dad and I just prefer the higher horsepower, all hydro, hydros. My primarys are a 1450 and 1650, his is the #1 149 and the IH 782 (built in 80 with a 6XX,XXX SN). The smallest thing in the fleet now is a couple of 12's....

You can use the gear drives, and we will keep "whining while we work" LOL......

Move snow?...?.... It better have dual hyd., so the gear drives are out.

Anything without dual hyd. and you have to let go of EVERYTHING, AND put down your cold tool of choice, to walk up and re-position the blade.......yuck.

BTW, spinner on a tricycle front Farmall could make for some fast manuvering!!!!

I remember when those spinner knobs had a little button that allowed the spinner to fold inside the steering wheel .They got band from cars and trucks because of accidents cause by clothing caught in them while driving . When they did that I thought it was a dumb law .

big deal up here is an attempt to ban the toboggans because of a young child got hurt on one. It is a wonder how us old guys grew up using all them harmful toys lol.

Latest posts

Back