Archive through January 19, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
Wes,

I've run that same type on my tractors for 10 years with no issues. One thing I always do is get them on TIGHT. Loose chains can catch on just about anything, and do a number on fenders as well!!!!

You might try substituting a threaded "make a link" chain connector for that bent open ended hook...should help solve the problem.

Jerry B - sorry but she's resting quietly in the garage. Her blade is all in pieces needing a good paint job and re-assembly (but when I lift her cover I still get a faint whiff of that Kohler K exhaust)

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(they just find another resting place)

Weather man is saying -8 tonight and 9.9" tommorrow after noonish. I guess I'll have to see what the 800 and plow can do since the 1600 is resting without the snowthrower sitting on the other side of the shed. I need to get to my favorite welder and get my lift rod too.

Tom H.
Come on up where the real weather is.
We had the coldest temp in the state last night and it's gonna get cooler tonight, LOL
They said 17 below last night and we almost hit 26 below, so tonight should get close to 30 I would think!
I ain't even gonna try and start any Cubs that are in the back shed tomorrow.
234559.jpg

WES - Yep, You better get those chains fixed! I use a 1/4" x 1" cap screw, two fender washers and a Nyloc nut to bolt my side chains together on the #70. I replaced a couple cross chains that wore in two last winter and should have done a couple more, they haven't broken yet but are getting really thin. I have more replacement cross chains and I can replace them with the chains still on the tractor when they break.

The chains on the big tractor also bolt together with little clevis's. No fenders on ether tractor so I can run them loose, seems like they grab better and distribute the wear over the cross cars more.

They're talking about 5 to 6 inches around here now instead of 3-4 inches like they said yesterday. Anything over two inches and I use the big tractor. The blade on the #70 seems to clean the drive better but makes WAY too big a windrow of snow to move efficiently. Takes about 30-40 minutes with either tractor.

Thanks Steve. I will look at the fenders to make sure it did not catch. I have a larger "s" hook that I may install.

Dennis, they up it to 6-8" for me so the 1650 with thrower is first up and if it is too deep, the M with v-plow is waiting in the wings to play. The 106 with blade will do the clean-up after they are done playing. I run my snowthrower about 3/4" off the ground to avoid throwing all the gravel into the yard so the blade usually gets time to play also. Sounds like a long day of playing in the snow.

Wes, bummer about the broken hook link. I have the same type of chains on my #2 125. They are what came with my #1 125 when my parents bought it new back in 1969. That's nearly 42 winters of use with no issues. (Not much use this winter, yet...) Like Steve mentioned install them tight. I'll add and keep them tight. I get them as tight as I can then I add two bungees on the outside.

234561.jpg

I am trying to change the front motor seal on a 982. Does anyone have any advice.

hi, was wondering if anyone can help me. i have a cub 1450 and want to know how i can raise the snow thrower so it comes off the ground higher. i am looking for plans on how to build a snow cab. thank yu all for yhe help. chris

Jeff Baker,

On your 149 with the snow blade....

Dad and I have used a 42" snow blade on his #1 149 for 34 years, and I have used one on my 1450 for the last 4. We have pushed snow, rocks, dirt, asphalt and other things with the blade (latest for me, my 98 Sable Wagon that lost a fuel pump) and we have not damaged the lift cylinder. The only issue we ever had was on the 149 the roll/shear pin hole in the rockshaft on the starter side of the tractor had "wallowed" out after the years, and the start of each winter we had to replace the pin as it would only lift the blade an inch or less.... new pin and it was all good. A few years back, Dad replaced the rockshaft and we no longer have that problem. The only thing we have ever had to do with the 1450 and 782 is install the blade..... you will be happy, and moving snow with a hydro/hydro is nice.... If you position your hands right, you can move, steer and operate the blade without having to relocate your hands..... you can raise and lower the blade on the move...... I have watched videos of manual/manual tractors moving snow... and they take a lot of work...... love the hydros.......

One thing you will find, the lift rod will flex and take alot of the shock, before it is ever transferred to the cylinder......

Jeff B.

The lift attachment point on the side of a 149 will "float" up (provided there is no lock out pin installed), so the lift cylinder should never see any stress from snow lifting the blade.

...and..when the blade is down, the cylinder is fully retracted...it's strongest position.

Welcome Chris W. Check in parts lookup above , to see there are 2-3 spring roll pins that need to be replaced in the 1450's rockshaft. Give us some pics of your lift rod area(both ends) to diagnose further.
Shift.gif

Chris W.

Welcome,
WELCOME.gif

We had some discussions 1-2 months ago about this. One problem can be using the wrong lift rod. IH made different lengths of lift rods for different attachments. The rod for my blade is different than the one for my snowthrower.

I have a 1250 with a manual lift and a QA-36 Snowthrower. If memory serves, I constructed a lift rod that was 27" (out to out) long. This allowed the thrower to lower to about 1-1/2" below the horizontal and raise to the maximum amount from there.

If you have a longer lift rod the thrower will drop down even lower, but its total range of motion stays the same, so it won't raise very high.

Also, I think that there is installation instructions somewhere (probably in the Manuals section) for the "soft" windbreaker cabs. It might be some help. Searching in the archives will probably generate some info on hard cabs and homemade solutions as well.

Its suppose to snow 3to5 inches and stay in the teens. Should be fun cleaning up with the 127 and QA36. I threw a 42" blade on the diesel to play with.

Melody,
Should be a blast. We ahd the cold and 6"-8" dry fluffy snow here.

Did I ever mention snow plows suck. Give me a thrower anytime.

I know Tom. But we haven't had much snow to play with this year. Time to take all the toys out of the toy box.

Harry,
You have any more pictures of that reel mower you showed earlier? How do they attach to the main frame? The pivoting and turning bracket mainly. Do they roll over uneven ground pretty decent? NICE FIND!!

Tom you have been in my Gravel drive and we all know throwers and gravel do not play well with each other.

I do have a QA36 to mount if I want But tend to stick with the blade for gravel.

234574.jpg

234575.jpg

Now in defense of the thrower

234578.jpg

My blade can not do this

Jeff, In the case of the gravel drive the plow is the way to go, but I hate making a hundred passes to make a 10' wide pass.

Latest posts

Back