• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 18, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
Keith-

What you are looking for are called Stover nuts. That's what IH used on the bolts holding the engine mount rails. They're not as tall as a nylock nut.

McMaster-Carr is a wonderful source for hardware and in my opinion is a top notch online store. They charge very reasonable rates for shipping and most times you get your order within two days. I've ordered stuff on a Monday and got it Tuesday...the next day.

Chris R.

I learned when I first got into this yellow/white ( <font size="-2">OK, red too</font> ) hobby, not to keep track of how much money you spent on a tractor, cause it will scare $#*& out of you if you do, and cause you to take up needlepoint, or rock collecting, or ping pong playing, or something similar instead.......
feint.gif

Keith,

I believe Wayne is correct. I got mine from the Caterpillar dealer. Check with heavy equipment dealers, they should have them. Please don't forget the ice cream.

Chris,

I kept all my receipts. Someday, I'll add them up.

Visiting the vampire is not as fun as driving the
Nightmare.

Paul's "It's will scare the $--- out of you" and Brian's "Driving the nightmare" Funny as hell but truer word have never been said. Another scary thing is when trying to sell said nightmare, you never get the $$ back out of it.

Pretty quiet on here. Everyone must be waiting for the snow to melt. Reminds me of the ole days back in the Dakota Territory, I'd spend most of Jan in the Pool Hall playing pinochle with all the farmers.

I know this depends on a lot of different things. but how long are the K-series and Twins suppose to last in hours before needing an overhaul? Our meters only go to 600Hr. I'd assume 1200 Hrs would be average?

Trivial question:
252384.jpg

Which of the above sponsers calls your wife to make sure its OK to take advantage of his FREE shipping weekend?
dunno.gif
cubwinker.gif
smile.gif

Rob F - I generally understood that Kohler K series engines should run 2000 hours before needing an overhaul, if properly maintained. That would include de-carboning the head every 500 hours. Don't know about the Twins. And for what it's worth, I generally figured an average of 100hr use per year unless it was only used for mowing it would be 50-75hrs (always loved finding those tractors). So about every 20 years I think they maybe due for an overhaul. However, I know there are many around still running that have not been overhauled, and I have to assume they've had good maintenance - especially decarboning the head. Another thing, lot of guys consider the Kohler "rod" the weak link in the engine, that will eventually fail. I lean that direction myself, and will say that if you have 2000 on a Kohler you're on borrowed time until you replace the rod (and grind the crank if necessary). With regard to the Hour Meter, as was pointed out to me IH called it a "Maintenance Minder" in the literature. It has indicators of when maintenance is due.

Frank C - hmmm, would it be one that uses initials in his name?

I've visited some sites that show the serial numbers of the RED CUB CADETS series, however they do not clearly allow me to learn the exact year the tractor was built. Can somebody give me a site that will do this?

Gene, On the MTD red ones there are 9 numbers above the serial number. The first 3 tell you the year.

Gene, If you go back in the archives on June 27, 2012, Jeremiah put up lists of MTD models with factory codes and serial numbers. Which I am baffled as I have a 84 782D with a serial number of 737773 which makes it an 85.{according to the chart] I have the delivery receipt of 10/15/84. Hmmmm.

Melody S. Tractors like automobiles start building the next year models the previous year. My Ol' Blue '93 Dakota was made in 1992. I believe IH started their new model year in August. Dennis F. may know.

Off to work and then to check out a 102 afterwards... Oh man>>> I just have to learn to say, "NO!" If I would have learned to say that to girls back in junior high and stuck to it then I'd be rich by now and have a lot more Cub Cadets. Everyone have a wonderful and fday.
happy.gif

MELODY - Marlin is correct, IH's fiscal year was from Nov. 1st to Oct. 31st the following year, so tractors built from 11-1 to 12-31 were the
Next Year's models.

Not sure what MTD/CCC's policy was. But a delivery to a retail customer of 10-15-84 would have made it an '84 model for IHC.

I found a replacement seat foam/cover for my 149. What is used to attach the cover where the drain holes are?
Looks like maybe brass grommets for canvas tents etc??? Any leads or experiences would be appreciated.
These covers are immpossible to find now and I don't want to screw it up. And of course....I'm not paying to have it done!

Rick B.
Go to your local fleet farm or parts store or Mcmaster Carr and get a canvas tarp repair kit. Just make sure it's the one that has the long center grommets.
The poly kits have short ones and won't work.

Thanks Charlie!

I pulled a late nighter in the garage going over my newly acquired 149.
Pretty happy with what I got, but I think I'll end up tearing down the engine before long. These things are not getting any newer.
It is destined to be my loader tractor
I have the parts for the EZ steer and 3-turn up grades.
Now if someone would just get a bolt in foot hydo perfected....before I have to do it myself!

Latest posts

Back