Archive through January 18, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an easier to read version of the belt guard drawing.

113396.jpg

I have a 107 and the front PTO came apart,so I took it off to repair, It will take some time to get parts. I need to know if it will damage anything if I use it to plow snow without this on? It have anything to do with engine balance? Thank you.

He guys I rebuilt my front PTO on my Model 125 and reinstalled it. After I adjusted the hand lever I noticed that as I spun the front section of the PTO there was a little drag on the clutch. I imagined it was because it was a new fiction disk and with the snow thrower installed it would be ok. I put on the thrower belt and you guessed it as I try to start my cadet the snow blower turns. My 125 is cold blodded and I never got it started turning everything. I can move the auger by hand and the clutch rotates free with a little drag. I was originaly thinking that after starting and engaging the clutch a few times the clutch would operate ok. Should I take it all apart again? I did adjust the three nuts on the rear of the PTO until the rocking stopped using the supplied guage then double checked. It must be close to just drag a little. Any thoughts?

As an after thought When I reinstalled the front PTO I installed on the old bearing. I tapped the PTO assembly gently it with a rubber mallet while rotating it to seat it all the way. Might it be possibly seated to far back and bottoming out at the of the PTO assembly maybe I should try to pull it just a little forward on the shaft?

Jim, people with more expierence will add on later, but as I recall the shaft should be even with the front of the bearing. Look back thru posts for the last few days, some where there is a drawing of the clutch and mounting.
ADD ON.. Go to Archives thru Jan 12 at 6:43 pm. Kraig has drawing of PTO assy.

James, are you sure you have the PTO engagement lever adjusted properly? FWIW, when I rebuilt the PTO clutch on "Killer" the K301 in my #2 125, it didn't want to fully disengage at first, but by the time I finished the governor settings it was disengaging properly. I don't know if it just had to wear-in or what??
1a_scratchhead.gif
However the clutch now slips when I get into deep snow with the QA42 snowthrower. At first I thought it was just the belt slipping but have determined that it's the PTO slipping.
bash.gif
I'm waiting for warm weather to tear it apart. I know it won't work well for that heavy wet snow we usually get in March so I need to take care of it soon. I followed the rebuild instructions to the letter using the gauge, checking, double checking and triple checking every step. I have an older PTO that worked just fine when I removed it (but determined it was to ugly to put on Killer, go figure), I might just swap it out and then try and figure out where I went wrong with the one I rebuilt.
blush.gif

Thanks guys I am pulling it apart right now. I am thinking I should check to see it that bearing might have slid back a little on the shaft while I was tapping with my rubber mallet. I hate installing those rattle springs must have dropped them 10 times before I could get all three in at the same time. Got 1 foot of snow in the driveway that I need to move.

James, Kraig

The wear button linkage may be adjusted wrong. You want just enough tension to disengage the clutch. If you put too much tension on the wear button you can bottom the throw out button in the center of the clutch on the end of the crank or bind up the spring/disk.

Before going any further, try backing out the turnbuckle adjustment a turn or 2.

I have had this happen before, too much throw out = throw IN!!!!

Latest posts

Back