• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 17, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art,

Your right on the money. My folks had sold some logs off and that was just the tops off of the trees. Hard to believe those are just tops being that big around. Nothing like free wood for the taking.

A home cooked meal on top of it.... in the rain, you got me beat.
thumbsup_old.gif
Nice wood score.

Brian:
Let us know how the walnut burns - my experience with it from about 20 years ago was that it was so dense that it was almost like trying to burn concrete...The stuff I got was from trees that had been down 15 or so years on the edge of a field that had been expanded with a bulldozer, no bark and a real PITA to cut (IIRC a chain didn't last long...)

Finally started gathering this winter's supply We'll need about three months less than last year - starting to wonder whether the outside furnace was worth it since we'll be back to fuel oil for three months ( although at a very low stat setting
uhoh.gif
)

I got some walnut from my sisters yard a couple of years ago. It had been down for a year or so and now it's at least 4 years old and last winter it didn't burn worth a crap. Smolders real well though. If you get the fire really hot with some osage orange (hedge) it'll burn okay, but leaves a lot of large coals that don't put out heat and don't turn to ash very well either.

I've got some dry oak and need to go cut up some more trees that went down in the ice storm a couple of years ago. Dad had them rolled up into the woods and are easy to get at and just slice up. With a 17 month old boy running around the house my wife isn't too keen on getting the fire going too hot though. I do want to try and offset some of the gas/electric bill a little this year though.

Good job Brian. Better get some stovepipes on that. It is going to be snowing soon. I have 34 here this morning.
Luther

A LOPI? Makes me want to dig out my Mother Earth News! Great looking stove
thumbsup.gif

Brian, nice job on the stove clean up! How is the seal on the door? Now would be the time to replace it. New seal material and adhesive should be readily available.
thumbsup.gif

Back