• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 17, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhinds

displayname
Luther Ray Hinds
Henri; Will try that if I don't get caught. I know all about the red line. It is a expensive line to cross.

Henri - I've got a red oak out back, but my Dewalt XRP can't drive a 3 foot diameter screw.

If you want to kill 'em faster drive copper nails into the tree or just bore in and inject some copper sulphate - that's what you're doing with brass screws (Brass is 67% copper and 33% Zinc - as the brass corrodes, you get copper sulphate). ... Old trick where you don't want moss on a roof is fasten some copper wire to the shingles across the width of the roof - the sulphate leaches out and discourages the moss from growing. Brass would do the same, just slower....

Kendell, put copper wire across the roof to keep moss from growing. OUTSTANDING idea. Gonna try it when it warms up, my low slope rear roof always full of moss, and its the sunny side of the house!

Kendell, You are the smartest man you know
worthy.gif

I tried the Round up it seemed to work for a while but the root systenm is so damn big that I just can't get enough of them. The war of attrition- trees one Deano zero. The stuff does make decent fire wood but my Dad just hate having the thing keep popping up on the golf course and in the lawn.

Henri:
The smartest man I <u>knew</u> was my dad.. The rest is just Google....

Dean:
A friend of ours that worked at a little 9 hole course in the neighborhood "gave" us a Honey Locust sapling about 25 years ago. It's starting to get big now (maybe a foot in diameter), but the worst part is the gnarly roots that pop up like knuckles around it.. I think he was playing a joke on us....
cwm.gif

I used to work in agriculture buz as a custom chemical applicator, we never did fing anything that would kill the dang things dead. Dad just keeps mowing everything around the trees as a control measure. If it makes good firewood tha just might be the ticket, Dad burns a fair amount of wood, he'd be in biz.

Dean:
Here's what the National Park Service has to say about Black Locust... Nasty trees .. NPS
They haven't heard about brass screws...
uhoh.gif

Dean I have killed several by cutting down in mid summer and painting the stump with full strength Roundup.The power co. i worked for has a enviromental friendly chemical that will kill them. Will try to find out contents of this.
Luther

Kendell, I don't know the scientific reason why a brass screw will kill a tree and to be honest I don't really care, I'm just shallow that way.What I do know is I've seen it with my own eyes. When I saw that old man driving those brass screws into those trees and I asked him why ,he said " kills 'em deader than hell" so I took note of it, then lo and behold, when I came back the next time those trees were gone!Ya see that's how country folk learn, from the old timers, thats how we're raised up.

Geez, I just noticed that the National Park Service refers to Black Locust as an "alien" .....man, they better get ready for pickets - all of those "undocumented, non-resident, plant lifeforms" ..

Henri: And you're telling me this because..........
confused.gif

I have a double lot that was full of those nasty trees (black locusts) you didn't dare let the kids out to play in the back yard with all of the saplings with there razor sharp branches. I've almost got them all killed off. Good riddens!
bazooka.gif

The info about copper referred to below is correct. Copper nails & drilling small holes and inserting copper wire has been used forever to kill trees.
The fine line between the bark and the wood is called the cambium and this is the juggler vein of a tree's circulatory system. After cutting the tree down and your looking at the stump, drill 1/4" holes 2-3" deep right on the cambium line. 2 holes per 1' of diameter will do it. Then use concentrated round up or any concentrated broadleaf killer and you win. stump is dead, no sucker, no nothing just dead stump.
Now you can deal w/ removing stump.
I have successfully used this method on at least 50 trees up to 4' trunk diameter.
Sometimes, they just gotta go!!

Finally remembered to take some photos of the #2 Cub Cadet 125 hauling firewood with the Agri-Fab trailer.

79337.jpg

79338.jpg

Art, that's a counterweight to keep the front wheels on the ground when I have all that tongue weight on the hitch. I hear ya, we are way over due for a major snowfall.

black locust is thee very best fire wood i say.it is tall and slender and you can split it with one good wack. HONEY LOCUST are the bad ones they arnt hard wood and are full of thorns.
i grew up on 1000 acers of brush and never once got a thorn in me though. just my 2 cents on the black locust

Well, got a wood pile going. Black Walnut this year, no more black locust and silver maple. This stuff spits great! Got the saw in shape and getting it done before the weather turns to crap. Picked up a wood burner too.

95093.jpg

95094.jpg

95095.jpg

Brian-
That's a pretty big Black Walnut tree to burn up as firewood. Wouldn't that have been worth some "cub coin" as lumber? I'm not "up" on that sort of thing, so I could be all wrong, but I thought walnut had value to it.
dunno.gif

I got some Elm, Cedar, and Ash a couple weeks back. Normally I'm not a big fan of Elm because of the way it splits, (...or should I say "doesn't split") but this stuff wasn't bad.

95104.jpg

95105.jpg

95106.jpg

I removed the trees for my wife's niece, so the wood was just a byproduct of the deal. Of course, that doesn't mean we HAD to cut it in the rain like we did!
icon_eek.gif

She's a VERY good cook, and the deal was that she was going to cook me dinner in return for taking the trees down for her. Needless to say, I guess you can see how far I'll go for a good home-cooked meal. LOL!
yummy.gif

Back