Archive through January 13, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Amy - good to see you post back again. The A suffix on QA36A supposedly is an indicator that the unit is "adjustable". So it should be adjustable for use on either narrow or wide frame tractors with a Quick Attach latch. And yes your 104 will have the latch on the front. But you're surprising me. I thought you were going to stick with your CW36?

Now, on the question about the speed up pulley, I've never done it and will have to let the experts on here respond. I would think the idea is the auger turns faster so it throws the snow faster and farther. But, since a key element in using a single stage thrower is keeping it nearly packed with snow, I have to assume you need more tractor speed as well to keep the auger and housing nearly full, and since you have a gear drive your tractor speeds are really fixed so I don't know how well it may work for you. Also, I did note in an earlier post I would be concerned with the life of the gear box bearings and chain sprocket adjuster bearings. If throwing the snow an extra 10-15 ft means replacing gear box bearings every 2-3 years, or the chain sprocket or mount, then I'd certainly opt for staying with the original pulley. I'm certain some experienced experts on here will post info.

Harry - I'll check the tag just for kicks. I remember when I bought this thing that it was supposed to be a 16hp engine in it, but when I pulled the engine, I found that someone swapped-in a 14 hp engine from another QL. I also got a box of parts with it, so I'm gathering that someone scrapped a 1450's engine assy and moved it to the 1650 that I have. The box of parts are just what were left over.

I haven't pulled the head on the 14hp engine, but will do so soon enough. BTW, I bought a 16 hp engine that is the right spec number for a QL, but haven't looked it over. I think the guy that had it - bought it for a puller, which he never built. This 16 hp engine is covered with oil and is stripped of parts, carb, etc - that stuff is in another box, so if the engine is good, some assy is required. If it looks like I got all the parts and the engine is good, I'll use it. One thing is the aluminum oil pan on it is very much damaged from wore-out isolators. I would need to replace that pan.

First things first though, I am going to tighten the front axle pivot and give the front innards of the tractor a good cleaning. I need to replace the broken hydro fan, which I have one and reinstall the engine cradle (which I had done the mod) and isolators.

I have a CCC 50 inch deck I'm going to try to convert via pulley swap to use on this tractor. I hope it's that simple.

I'm also thinking if the 16hp engine is in need of a rebuild, I might put it on the shelf and just keep going with the 14hp for now.

Hello Harry,I just come across a very good deal on a QA-36A. This looks like brand new an has hardly ever been used. I figure for the price I can buy it and use it or my cw-36. Im sorta looking for another 104 or maybe even a hydro,so then ill have 2 throwers for 2 GT's. My son has a 104 I helped him buy,I gave him my plow an wheel weights,but he might want my cw-36 instead of the plow,then ill get my plow back...lol The CW-36 grandpa bought new in 69 with my 104...so selling it isnt going to happen ;)

Amy,
Since you're giving wheel weights snow throwers and other stuff away, can I be you son??

Bill J - yes I remember you picked up that 16hp engine. I don't quite understand why it's covered with oil. Is it to keep it from rusting? Or is it from breather fumes or possibly leaked out? Most all the 14hp external parts would be the same for the 16, but not sure off hand about the flywheel or shroud, but carb and muffler and most tin work should be. Either engine could have balance gears and make the external tin work and oil fill slightly different if one does not have them and the other does.

Amy - the QA36A is a nice thrower, and probably harder to find in the condition you noted. I still recommend a Creeper if you go with another gear drive tractor. I sorta recall you were going to get someone to put on in yours.

(Tom H - didn't I see you're givin' stuff away in the Classifieds?)

Allen S - thanks for the link/info on taxing hp. Appears "some states" did have an hp tax.

Harry,
I still am giving some hoods away, but I haven't had any takers. I'd trade the hoods for a set of wheel weights anytime. I could be your tempory "Son" and
take some weights off your hands

Tom,lol I have a 21 yr old son an a 18 yr old daughter ...it seems all I hear at times is gimmie gimmie gimmie...lol

Harry,yes the creeper drive I bought my dad put on for my son on his 104. Ive begun looking for another creeper for mine. If I get the QA-36A bought the creeper would be nice to get installed on mine. Im looking at hydro's to have a different style for a change.Just not sure which one I like best ?

Harry B - me and the Boys found my 1650's serial number is 2050670U598196. I think I've really got a 1650! However, as I said, it had a 14hp engine under the hood, but I am pretty sure that is a transplant. I'll post some pics tomorrow, but the 16 hp engine I bought appears to have smooth cylinder walls, no balance gears, but one side of the piston seems to be somewhat eroded away from the cylinder wall. Not sure how that happens without some cylinder damage. The gap is wide enough you can see a goodly part of the top ring. I'll post some pics of this tomorrow when I get to a PC that can more easily reduce the size of pics.

Next up is pulling the head on the 14 hp engine to see what kind of shape the cylinder is on that engine. If I can use that engine, I will, but again if I can use the 16 hp engine, I'll use it first. But in the end, I think a 14 hp engine on a garden tractor is a fine engine - no hp war in my shop - LOL!

Latest posts

Back