• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through January 13, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Answering my own question: I guess I'm looking for another Cub Cadet in the 1x8/1x9 series, or perhaps a QL Series tractor that came with and/or has a 38"/42"/48" deck and has the under-carriage for it. Either that, or figure out some way of modifying on of the carriages I have to adapt it to the 42" deck.

I'll post developments.
smile.gif

Jeremiah,

When I look at the parts lookup I see 3 different 42" mower decks, and 3 different hitches. I did not try to parse out the differences, but the deck for a 149 would be "part 3". There is a specific hitch listed for wide frames.

234416.gif

Ken: Thanks for prompting me to go back to Parts Lookup with renewed vigor. I checked the three (3) hitches you mentioned, and it appears that they are associated with the deck, not the particular tractor under which they're listed (this fact was one of the original sources of my confusion).

So, the missing piece of information you need to correctly interpret the listings in Parts Lookup is the Serial Number they reference. I'm posting a chart I probably downloaded from this site, but it is the most concise listing of serial numbers that I've found, and it allow me to make the following statements:

(1) The first hitch listed for the 38"/42"/48" mowing deck was designed for the earlier narrow frames that do not have the Quick Attach feature. Parts Lookup references SN 65,458 to 218,009 compare the SN listing in the chart below.

(2) The second hitch listed for the 38"/42"/48" mowing deck was designed for narrow frame tractors with the Quick Attach feature (which is integrated to the frame, it is not "bolt on"). Parts Lookup references SN 218,010 to 400,000 compare the SN listing in the chart below.

(3) The third hitch is the one I want, it was designed for the 1x8/1x9 series --the early Wide Frames with the Quick Attach feature. Parts Lookup references SN 400,001 to 529,999 compare the SN listing in the chart below.

(4) The hitches I pictured below spread out in my back yard were a selection of Quiet Line and 82 Series hitches from SN 530,000 to 665,000 and 665,001 to 700,000 respectively; as the ever insightful Matt Gonitzke pointed out.

Again, thank you Ken, for helping me deepen my knowledge of Cub Cadets; I think Myron Bounds would be proud of both of us.

smile.gif

234419.jpg

Jeremiah, I believe the 1x8/9 series only were available with the 42" deck for a short time so the sub frames to fit might be hard to find. Though the 38" deck was available for it (see image below) and I believe should use the same sub frame. The sub frame to fit it will not be arched, and one from a narrow frame might be used if you swap the front mule drive portion.

234421.jpg

Jeremiah,

What size tires are you running on your 149?10.50's are stock on it I do believe.So gauge wheels will not work.Your qa brackets may be bent outwards throwing off the mounting issue you have with them.I have the same deck on my 128.I will shoot some pics of the correct mule drive. If you look at the 38,44,and 50a manual page 4 and 5 show the differences .

Kraig you a fast one that you are...

What does it take to get some snow to play in here in the middle of Missouri?

Hi Everyone,
Below is what I have done on several QL tractors over the years. The modifications are simple, finding the exhaust pipe is the hard part.

For the latest exhaust extension I went to a muffler shop and asked if they had some 1-1/2 ID tubing and asked them to bend it using a minimum radius they could bend. I also picked up a standard muffler clamp to hold it on.

234435.jpg

234436.jpg

Here is the results mounted on a 1450 with the snow thrower.
234437.jpg

234438.jpg

Kraig, thanks for the tip and the pics from the manual.

Lewis, I would be interested in pictures of your setup.

This site works great when you know how to use it (and even when you don't sometimes).
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back