• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New from IL with a 122

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy kurylo

displayname
stealintv
20230728_195835.jpg

Hi everybody. Andy from IL here. Been creeping for a bit and decided to post my CC as i am officially addicted. Neighbor gave me his 122 stating he drove it into shed 5 years ago when he bought new mower so it will probably run if I clean the carb. Got her running. Backfires a bit and exhaust coming from the head. Hoping valve adjustment and new gasket will solve that. I hope to get this going and repaint it. What a well made machine l!

Andy,I have a 122 that I spent a lot of time refurbing.It has been well worth the effort...I would caution you to check wiring very seriously.Most of these the wiring has started to deteriorate as the insulation comes apart..There are good reasons these 50 yr old machines are still functional.One of the biggest issues I have found is most prior owners don't seem to know what grease zerks are for.I've taken front spindles apart and cleaned on several to get steering to work right...Take your time and do it right ,it will last for many more yrs...

Welcome... Grew up using a 102 with a 12hp transplant...so basically what you got there. Fantastic machine. I remember running down weeds higher than the hood to mow. Also used it to tow empty hay wagons around.
These old Cubs aren't as fast mowing grass as the new stuff but they make up for it in sheer brute. Clean her up, rewire like Gary mentioned, address the carb and head gasket and enjoy!

Andy,I have a 122 that I spent a lot of time refurbing.It has been well worth the effort...I would caution you to check wiring very seriously.Most of these the wiring has started to deteriorate as the insulation comes apart..There are good reasons these 50 yr old machines are still functional.One of the biggest issues I have found is most prior owners don't seem to know what grease zerks are for.I've taken front spindles apart and cleaned on several to get steering to work right...Take your time and do it right ,it will last for many more yrs...
Thank you. I appreciate the advice about the wiring and zerks. I plan to go part by part to do a full inspection and replace things as I can afford to as I am cleaning. Since paint doesn't work very well with dirt and grease, I have a feeling I will have an intimate knowledge of the tractor when I am finished.

Any tips on the paint? I see the branded stuff is about $30/can. I am sure another company has something to match or at least a close 2nd. I am more concerned with function and reliability versus having everything official/original.

Andy,there are purists among us that believe "ironguard" is the only paint to use.They do have the original colors..Personal opinion..I'm tired of paying twice as much as Rustoleum "tractor" paint.I only paint with rattle cans so the choice is limited.Very often I'm only painting a few parts so using a spray gun makes no sense to me with cleanup time...(my opinion) I'm not knocking others just stating my preference...don't mix brands and follow directions...After spraying I clean the tip with spray carb cleaner,then it's good to go again...Temperature seems to matter a lot with rat. cans,I've been known to soak a can in hot water for awhile if temp is below 70.. either method requires a steady stroke so practice surely helps...my 122 done 3 yrs ago..massey tractor rat can...not puffing up here just showing other methods

Attachments

• 100_1328.JPG
    100_1328.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_1410.JPG
    100_1410.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Andy,there are purists among us that believe "ironguard" is the only paint to use.They do have the original colors..Personal opinion..I'm tired of paying twice as much as Rustoleum "tractor" paint.I only paint with rattle cans so the choice is limited.Very often I'm only painting a few parts so using a spray gun makes no sense to me with cleanup time...(my opinion) I'm not knocking others just stating my preference...don't mix brands and follow directions...After spraying I clean the tip with spray carb cleaner,then it's good to go again...Temperature seems to matter a lot with rat. cans,I've been known to soak a can in hot water for awhile if temp is below 70.. either method requires a steady stroke so practice surely helps...my 122 done 3 yrs ago..massey tractor rat can...not puffing up here just showing other methods
i agree with heating rattle cans in hot water before painting. temp makes a huge difference in the performance/results.

Thanks for the tips. I will take into consideration when I get to that stage. As for today, I reassembled the head with new gasket and had to do minor adjustment to the valves. It runs much better and smoothly. Only one pop from the exhaust when it was turned off. Next will be adjusting the carb as I had to run about 1/4 choke unless throttle was wide open. Still blue smoke,. but I am wondering if its in the exhaust and needs to burn up. Also of note, the piece of the breather assembly with the drain hole on the bottom was found to be installed upside down. Had to leave for work, but if the weather cooperates tomorrow, I will run it a bit to see what happens with my adjustments. I am very excited and thinking about looking for a second tractor already! Having way too much fun.

Thanks for the tips. I will take into consideration when I get to that stage. As for today, I reassembled the head with new gasket and had to do minor adjustment to the valves. It runs much better and smoothly. Only one pop from the exhaust when it was turned off. Next will be adjusting the carb as I had to run about 1/4 choke unless throttle was wide open. Still blue smoke,. but I am wondering if its in the exhaust and needs to burn up. Also of note, the piece of the breather assembly with the drain hole on the bottom was found to be installed upside down. Had to leave for work, but if the weather cooperates tomorrow, I will run it a bit to see what happens with my adjustments. I am very excited and thinking about looking for a second tractor already! Having way too much fun.
Yes, just like Pringles, you can't stop at just one...

Scoring a 123 would be cool - both the same model just one's a standard trans, other would be hydro.

I still have my 122 with was built in 67, in fact I bought it in 78 when I was 18. My mom was upset that my dad let me buy it. It came with 38"mower and 36" snow blower and chains. I have gone through several starter generators and clutches. I did after purchasing in 78 get a new wire harness the old was bad and about 12 years ago, I had the engine rebuilt and I completely repainted. I am not a purist on paint, but I did want my tractor to look like new. I used paint from Tractor Supply and used transport yellow which looks similar to cub cadet yellow. I just finished mowing my lawn today with my 122 - still does a great job. I have a 1250 and 1450 and they are good tractors but nothing like my 122. Many of my neighbors every few years end up buying a new rider from the home center and I still have my 122 - which I will never sell. It is certainly one of the best tractors IH has made - enjoy!

I still have my 122 with was built in 67, in fact I bought it in 78 when I was 18. My mom was upset that my dad let me buy it. It came with 38"mower and 36" snow blower and chains. I have gone through several starter generators and clutches. I did after purchasing in 78 get a new wire harness the old was bad and about 12 years ago, I had the engine rebuilt and I completely repainted. I am not a purist on paint, but I did want my tractor to look like new. I used paint from Tractor Supply and used transport yellow which looks similar to cub cadet yellow. I just finished mowing my lawn today with my 122 - still does a great job. I have a 1250 and 1450 and they are good tractors but nothing like my 122. Many of my neighbors every few years end up buying a new rider from the home center and I still have my 122 - which I will never sell. It is certainly one of the best tractors IH has made - enjoy!
Fantastic. Thanks for sharing your story and tips on the paint. I feel similarly about it looking new but not a purist re: paint color. I got it running pretty well now, minus a little blue smoke when wide open I attribute to 50+ year old piston, rings, and valves. Something to do this winter perhaps... The backfiring has stopped after the few little repairs I mentioned before. I even took a couple passes in the yard. She cuts well, too! I have a feeling my neighbor will come outside to request a nostalgic ride especially once I get this painted.

Great job,sounds like your making progress and enjoying it.Was the popping thru the exhaust,coming from after you turned the key off and how did you fix it?Good luck

Latest posts

Back