• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 09, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
out in the shop filling the alum rear end with new fluid and I guess they both hold the same amount of fluid. Later

Norm-

I think Matt G. gave the better explanation. The 1x's are very different from the quietlines. If you search the archives you'll find several discussions on mechanical vs electric ptos. I personally prefer the mechanical and you may as well after a proper rebuild. I just like the way I can ease the engagement of the mechanical where the electric is either on or off.

You'll also find the guys here (most) are very knowledgable. They've been around since Moby Dick was a minnow and know their cubs. I believe some can even quote the manuals like a preacher quotes the Bible.

Good luck with your pto and welcome to the forum.

Wayne

Charlie or who ever,

Not that I am beating a dead horse, but I was wondering what specifically would prevent an electric PTO from going on a 1X8 1X9 or older model?

I don't own, nor have I ever worked on a QL, therefore I don’t know if it is possible. I think I have seen conversations here or across the street regarding elec PTO upgrade on older models.

Jim

CC1200 K301AQS
183812.jpg

draw.gif

Jim P.
From what Kohler has told me.
The spots that you would have to drill in the block will not support or will allow the PTO.
It seems that the casting is/was not designed for them.
I could go into the complete details that they emailed to me, but there's really no point.

You want an electric PTO in a WF Cub, Buy a Quietline or put an AQS engine in it!
clappy.gif

hey guys, ive been working on my cub cadet identification site lately (www.exedown.us) and need some more pictures from people, the only pics that i have currently are the ones that are on the site. i would like to get this done over the winter as i have nothing better to do, please email me if you would like to contribute to the cause [email protected]

Jim,

Starter/generator is the biggest problem with a PTO conversion......you really do have to switch to the AQS engine to solve that problem (as the others have mentioned).

What Charlie said....
thumbsup.gif

Norm,
Perhaps it should be stated that a factory style electric cluch won't work- easily... I have had one on the 149 since 1993, w/o issue. I had to cut off the mech. clutch 'dish' and add a shaft extension because the crank is not long enough. the clutch floats on the shaft, with a chain to keep it from spinning. I used the factory PTO interlock switch from the old mechanical PTO lever to run the power through a relay so that it won't start w/ the PTO engaged.

183826.jpg

183827.jpg

I am assembling my k301 and I have a question. I am installing the cam assembly which calls for an end clearance of .005 to .010. When I took it apart it had a shim, which if I put it back in the cam is too tight. It binds. If I remove the shim (no shims at all) I have a end clearance of about .011. This is slightly over the amount stated in the manual, but I would think that it is close enough. Am I correct or should I be more precise
Thanks for any comments.
Earl LaMott

Earl:
(JMHO) Cam end play is somewhat critical..Since that .011 is never gonna get smaller, I'd see if I could thin up that shim and use it. (sandpaper on a flat plate will work..)

Now, if we're done with the PTO conversion conversation confluglery, how many, besides Norm, have needed an engine and found one sitting beside the road for free? That would be enough to keep me believing in Santa!
thumbsup_old.gif

Well I made the first step into a semi resto of my 129. Today the son and i pulled the motor and I cant wait to open it to see if theres balance gears. Here is a photo of whats left of part of the mechanicle pto I have am not sure of this as it does not resemble the one on my 128 or 108 any help would do

183831.jpg

183832.jpg

Jeff B: What you see is a normal blade brake from a late version of the Mechanical PTO Clutch...The PTO pulley and springs are the same B - U - T there's a brake disc and a very different thrust button on the correct mechanical PTO Clutch pulley. Check TC-157 Parts Manual & you'll see.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

It warmed up here to +5 so went out and cleaned up after the big blast we had the other day . The 1450 with the hyd angle bade was slow . But had a quick spin in the snow to clean up the crumbs.

Myron Bounds

my 129 has the brake style pto and It works great. Don`t have the button aligment and wear issue.And its easy to feather the pto also. Well I did rebuild it 2 years ago. later Don T

Got another package in the mail today - outstanding service; thanks Charlie. The return to you will go out Monday. I've found a few more items to order, too, but need to make a list.

Thanks to Bobby B, too - I never intended to have so many new parts on this tractor (was just going to make it mehanically functional). If I'm not careful I'll end up with a full restore!

but... but.. I think there really is a santa claus! Oh man...
bash.gif
Yup I think so. And he likes cub cadets too!! Sure does. I just talked with him last month. Told him I wanted a snow thrower for my cub. I guess he forgot...
lame.gif
pop.gif

Myron I dont have any manuals this weekend due to work schudule. So can i put on a wear/thust button type if i cant repair this one.

Hi All. I'm so happy with the fact that I have my 67 CC 102 working reliably working that I felt it was time for a post of it in the driveway after a solid job well done. This is my 1967 Cub Cadet 102 with the 10 horse Kohler and plow attachment. To the best of my knowledge, I am the second owner. Very happy with it. After a Carb rebuild and a replaced fuel bowl assembly, it is turn key.

I cannot believe how much grunt this thing has. As far as I know, it is all original. 42 years old and I was pushing back snow 12 inches deep and punching through windrows from full sized trucks. My 13 year old son was floored when I made a path around the house to the wood pile. What you don't see is on the back where the hitch goes is about a hundred pounds of weights in a homemade wooden box. Very effective for traction.

After this run, I am hooked. I have the skills and tools. I really think I will try to bring it back to like new. But really is strong anyhow.

183840.jpg

Latest posts

Back