• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 09, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig:
I've just ordered a Service Manual from Madson's for my 147. BUT, I was wondering if you could help me get a head start while I was waiting and find a wiring diagram?
Thanks in advance
I know, I know. . .
rtfm.gif

Ray, I'll be sending the requested info via email so you get the high resolutions versions. :eek:)

Thanks Kraig,
Upon attempting to start the tractor, there is only a clicking noise right underneath the dash. No signs of life from the starter generator. Upon examination, the entire wiring harness is a mess--lots of frays and electrical tape. Also, the orange wire from the ingnition switch to the neutral starting switch is severed.
Me thinks I'll nedd to break down and purchase a new wiring harness.

coffee.gif

Ray, at least you're getting a clicking noise. :eek:)

Atleast Ray isn't looking for a 782-982 service book......Check out the one on epay (do your own search). For the $$$$ it's WAAAAAAAYYYYY over priced.

Even Bryan would not BTFM on this one.......

Is there any chance 2 originals could possibly have the same serial #??? I had one that had a loader on it with, I'm sure a serial # of 8913 but I really couldnt see it very well I will check it again. (belongs to my Buddy now). I was then looking in the registration area and noticed the same serial # for another original. I am going to have to double check it tomorrow, its pitch dark outside now.
Rick

Rick, seeing that they were hand stamped anythings possible. It's also possible that one of them is actually 8918 as an 8 can often look like a 3 due to a light stamping.

Me thinks this place has a few bugs roaming around it today.
Very hard to get to, and no post since 2:40pm.

Anywho, was just wondering if'n any thought about if, where, when a spring plow day might happen.

Gots to plan vacation time here at work soon and it is nice to know when, where, and if a plowday is happening.

Just checking to see if this thing is working or not.

No problem from this end.

Testing form DuPage county Illinois....

If I can get enough out of Uncle Sam this spring, I will be at the Spring Plow day.
happy.gif

Bob..

I think i broke it last night, I was preparing to add to Ray's statement with

Yep...

33376.jpg

Dang 'ol forum dun gone ZZZzzzz

I went to upload, and that's all she wrote..
Obviously it works now.......

(Message edited by stanner on January 11, 2006)

Hey it's back! Have not been able to access it all morning.

Lonny, I believe that Travis may be hosting a Spring Plow Day aka Plow Day V11. Hopefully Travis will verify this.

Well after 6 years of Retirement and almost unlimited time to play with my Cubs I'm going back to work tomorrow. Just got an offer that I couldn't pass up.

Before I head back into that black hole I thought I would post something I have been working on. It is kind of long so will take several post. Please bear with me.

CUB CADET CHECK VALVE REPAIR (Part1)

Check valves are extremely rugged and dependable, but sometimes they need service. Problems are usually no forward or reverse operation, or leakage out the valve top.

If you look at the basic principle you are controlling hydraulic pressure between two chambers. One side being the charge pump output, and the other side being the pump and motor kidneys.

33383.jpg

Looking at a check valve from the side you can see there is an O-ring at the top to seal one end, and another O-ring between the holes in the valve dividing the two chambers. Some springs and a steel ball inside regulate the flow between the two chambers. Also inside a small O-ring to prevent hydraulic fluid coming out the top where the release pin is on the older check valves, and a small hole on the newer auto release valves.

If I have problems with a check valve the first thing I do is clean the area around the valve good to prevent getting dirt into the hydro, then remove the check valve. Remove the exterior O-rings, the plastic O-ring has a diagonal cut across it to facilitate removing it. Clean the check valve in solvent and then blow dry with air pressure. I like to blow air through the small hole in the bottom in bursts to bounce the steel ball up and down. This will help remove any foreign particles preventing sealing of the valve. If the exterior O-rings are suspect then replace them, you can get them from your Cub dealer. Before I replace the valves into the hydro I dip them in a small container of hydro fluid to remove any solvent.

If you still have problems it is probably damaged inside, or if you have leakage out the top the small rubber o-ring inside is wore out, it is RECOMMENDED that you replace the check valves at this point.

HOWEVER if you have the resources and are willing to assume the RESPONSIBILITY, here is a procedure I use to rebuild the check valves. This is a one time rebuild but I have saved almost every one that I had previously thought were throwaways.

The check valves are built with a crimped or rolled edge over a top hat type end piece as you can see in the picture below.

33384.jpg

To get the check valve apart you need to cut off the crimped edge. Put the check valve in a metal lathe like the picture below.

33385.jpg

Just cut off the crimped part until you are flush with the top hat type end piece as pictured below.

33386.jpg

When you are done cutting it should look like this:

33387.jpg

Then place the valve in a vise, and clamp a small vise grip on the top hat end. Rotate the top hat end piece around several times to loosen it up, and then place your left hand under the end while you rock the top hat back and forth with the vise grip. The top hat will pop off and the springs and steel ball will go flying if you don’t catch them in you left hand. The first time you do it you probably won’t catch them.

33388.jpg

These are all the parts you should have now. Note the indentation in the valve assembly where the top hat was removed, when you re-assemble, the top hat end piece will fit snugly back in.

33389.jpg

CUB CADET CHECK VALVE REPAIR (Part2)

Check all the parts for damage rust or wear. Using a small needle nose or small gripping device, place the part with the small O-ring back into the valve and see if it is loose. A good O-ring will have some pressure when you push in or pull out. A bad O-ring will have almost no resistance.

33391.jpg

You can get a replacement O-ring at a hydraulic repair shop. I got several from a Caterpillar hydraulic shop and picked up one from NAPA part #727-2008. Clean the inside of the check valve with a Q tip and then lubricate the area where the small O-ring mounts with hydraulic fluid.

33392.jpg

When you put it back together insert the large spring, small O-ring assembly, and the steel ball into the valve body standing upright. Put the top hat end piece in a 9mm or 3/8 inch long socket to hold it, and then place the small spring into the top hat.

33393.jpg

Holding the valve with your left hand, mount the top hat piece with the small spring towards the steel ball and push together. When you get it lined up you will need to pound it into place with a small hammer.

33394.jpg

Cover the valve side openings with tape and then VERY IMPORTANT, with a mig spot weld the top hat piece on two sides to the valve body, this will hold the valve together in place of the original ridge. It only takes a small amount of weld and it can be ground down. It doesn’t have to be pretty, and it doesn’t come in contact with anything, as it is sitting in an opening. There is some clearance on the side but try and keep it as close to the original diameter as possible. (YOU DON’T WANT THE VALVE TO COME APART AND PIECES GO DOWN INTO THE HYDRO).

33395.jpg

Remove the tape and clean the valve up. It should look like this:

33396.jpg

Replace the exterior O-rings, dip in some hydraulic fluid to flush, and then replace in your tractor for a test.

I have a big problem. I am restoring COMPLETELY, my 782D. I am now working on the electrical portion, and I have all of the parts except 1.

The last part I need is the Glow Plug Indicator that goes on the dash. I went to my local Cub/IH delaer, and they told me that part is no longer available!! Is this true? Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these? It is obviously essential to have. The old one is gone. It fried.

Please help!!

Back