• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 05, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
It has a steel bow in the roof.

Stanley Lewis,

Sorry, I did not intentionally ignore the email you sent me back in Dec. My email is not working properly, and I happened to find your message. Have you found any tires yet for your cub?

I have been a member here for a while but it has been some time since I posted. I grew up in Illinois on a Cub Cadet 108 that my dad bought new in 1974. I did yard work for a neighbor through high school and on weekends in college who has a 122 and a 1000. I took a job in New Jersey that eventually led me to Santa Cruz, CA. While I was in New Jersey (1996 - 1998) the neighbor gave me the 1000 which I gave to my dad with the understanding that I would some day take it when I had enough property to warrant a CC. I maintained both machines when visiting my parents when I was on vacation and the 1000 was a spare for when the 108 went down.

My wife and I bought a home on 2 acres in Felton, CA and had some things including the 1000 shipped out. My dad "gave" the 1000 to my ham-fisted younger brother in 2011. The 1000 arrived last Friday. This is what I found:

Starter doesn't work

Spark plug hole is stripped so bad it looks like a through hole - no longer threaded

The pulleys for the mower deck are severely worn. One had sheared clean off and the other is completely shot

The rod going to the clutch fork is snapped

Both axle seals are leaking

The housing around the muffler is cracked in multiple places

This is heartbreaking to me. The neighbor that gave me the 1000 was meticulous with her equipment and home. I maintained both of her tractors and this one was in pristine shape the last time I saw it. It is hard to see it trashed. I am glad that most of the damage is easily fixed. I am looking forward to hearing it run again but on the other hand I am nervous about the condition of the engine. I can't wait to ruin a compression test. I think I will be frequenting the wanted board for a while. I am a competent mechanic and can rebuild the engine if needed and I am confident I will be able to fix anything that needs repaired on this tractor.

I don't know of any other CCs in California. Anyone out my way?

Bob Elliott

Bob E

I hate to see the condition of some I see. People don`t seem to look after what they have any more.I have seen some wild repairs and abuse . I can`t bring my self to abuse anything I own . I do look after all my equipment and enjoy working on them. some day some one will be happy to get a Cub from me , they should get years of service out of it I know. My brother could destroy anything and has nothing ; and ask me for a cub. I told him someday I might have one for him . Just can`t seem to decide witch one I hate that much. Repair it and you will enjoy it more even after it`s hard life it had.
thumbsup_old.gif

Welcome back Bob!

I'm not out in Cali... I'm gonna bet there aren't many members that are. Especially not active ones.

I hate to hear about your 1000. I also have a brother who destroys everything he gets. And he learned it from my Dad. My very first cub was a 128 that I bought from my then summer job boss. All it needed was a throw out bearing. Now granted, I was 15 at the time, but well versed in mechanics. As I finished HS, and went to a local Tech college, my dad used it and ran it into the ground, then proceeded to part it to repair others he had obtained. By the time I bought a house and wanted my tractor back, I literally had to walk around the property and find all the pieces. He even sold my box blade cause he needed the $$
censored.gif

But it is now back in my shop, together and better than she used to be. I proudly mowed the grass for a few years with her. My Dad has since made up for it by trading some of his stuff for a 782 (which he knew i really wanted, pretended like it was his and made me pick it for him. all before giving it to me. ) And finding and giving me my OT (2072).

So forgive and forget... Take lots of pics to show us and make it better than ever.

Oh and that box blade my Dad sold, I know where it is. I just hate to have to BUY it back, cause this guy knows what it's worth and knows I want it...

Dual Coils:
When I was first trying to breath life back into the 782, I first used the one Volvo coil (Bosch) as I previously mentioned, Then paralled up another one. Didn't work well at all. My guess is I needed more capacitor (condensor). Plus I bet the draw of two Coils made the Points arc prematurely. With some messing around I'm sure it's possible. At that time, I just verified a bad coil and got a replacement.
one a tangent One question: Do the sponsors above give additional discounts to Members of this site? I just bought soem small item stuff from them and thought about this after the fact. Some other Forums have Sponsors that do give additional discounts, that's why I asked

Tony H.-

Have you checked out David Kirks site yet? He sells a dual coil at a reasonable price.

It's Kirk Engines above.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am confident that I will have this tractor running right after I hunt down all the parts. I’ll post pictures when I can. I just came back to work after an extremely busy and chaotic 2 week Christmas break. I was looking forward to getting back to work to relax.

What is the best place to find the cast bracket that holds the muffler surround? Mine is cracked in multiple places.

Wayne nice $$ on that coil...A bit late .
When I got this engine running, I was not yet the owner of the Cub. I was trying to get the machine running for a friend or a friend. I got it running and then a few months later he called and asked if I wanted it. ANYWAY... I did not Surf the web and find 'you guys' yet and I didn't stumble onto the Kirk website either. I will Keep that yellow coil in mind .. hopefully I wont need to buy another .

Had to clean out the drive again tonight......nasty winds last night blew it shut again, was just able to make it out to work this AM.

20hp Mag in the 2072 wouldn't light off at -7 deg F.....would hit on one cylinder, kick out the starter, but not hit again. As Dave Kirk said a few weeks back, light hydrocarbons likely evaporated out of the carb bowl, as it hadn't been started in a week or so.

18hp Mag in the 782 fired off after a few protesting rotations of the crank, coughed and belched to life. It had just been running the day before......but in temps about 10 deg warmer.

I'm guessing the 20 would have started on the booster, but the soft cab on the 782 seemed like a much better idea considering the temps outside!

Stay warm out there!

Dang, everyone must be nearly froze up out there. I can't even hardly type it's so cold, and I'm in the Seattle area where it's 39degrees, supposed to rain tomorrow. My 169 ain't been popped off for a few months. Wonder if she'll start?

Currently -16 here. Too cold to even go out into the garage to even look at 'em.

Tom, Harry, et el,

The temperature is finally on the rise in western Minnesota, so there is help coming soon, I hope.

I get the 16 below, Tom, as it was a -24 at the house this morning. I love riding my 1250 Nightmare, but I am happy to let the Cub hibernate this winter.

Yes, Harry, it will start with proper coaxing. But if you don't need it, why try?

Stay warm everyone!

I had to do some cleaning up today also. It was a high of 8* today. And windy. I bet -15 to -20 with the stuff wind. My 782 is being spoiled right now cause its vacationing in the heated house garage. It's about 65* in there.

But you know it's cold when you have to run it at half choke to run right. Full open would lean it out and kill it. I guess -15* air is MUCH denser than even 30* degree air.

Anyways, the street was plowed but still completely snow packed. So I tie the sled to the back and took the 2 yr old daughter and 4yr old son for a nice ride. Now that was fun for everyone. It took about 15-20minutes of driving for everything to warm up to operating temps and get some speed.

Yesterday was 50 degrees and raining. Today is clear and cold at 10 degrees! No wonder my nose is always running.
thumbsdown.gif

Hey guys/gals
Hope everyone is enjoying the snow!I've just about had enough.All the roads are closed in the county and plows have been pulled from the roads.
Anyways, here's my dilemma,I've got a 1250 that I've mounted a thrower on.I bought a new welded muffler this summer from Charlie.My muffler duct box was cracked in a few spots and I just found that the stand off, muffler attaching point is missing.It was broke off since I've owned it.The p/o used a bolt as a spacer/stand off.The bolt has broken from the vibration,numerous times. I just searched for pics and found one of the stand off that is supposed to be there.
My question is what would be a suitable repair for this?A spacer of Al. or something else? I should have looked earlier to see what was missing in the duct.My bad.

I did repair the cracks in the Al. with some HTS 2000 Al. brazing rod. It is still holding and I repaired it in August.
Thanks

Dave, I don't have any experience with the Quite Line Series but I have heard of this issue. David Kirk (Kirks Engines, Inc.) sells a part called the "Muffler Crutch" that helps support the muffler box and helps prevent the issues you are having.

Dave, I put one these muffler crutch's on my 1650 and it does help. My muffler stays tight now and no cracks in the aluminum but I also had to use lock washers on all the cover tin to keep the bolts from backing off.

Latest posts

Back