• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through January 03, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken- NYC and other northern east-coast municipalities have sockets and hydraulics to fit blades to garbage-trucks. Only thing they're good for is pushing the straight-street segments, as they've got too long a wheelbase to do much else.

Since they don't have a whole-lotta space to actually 'put' the snow, they typically use either a big auger on articulated loader, like what's on John's picture, shoot it into trucks and send it into the nearest ocean/river, or a few places have a truck with auger on front, and a big oven on back, that melts the snow, and a hose that hangs out one side, to drain it into the storm sewers.

Either way, in big cities, heavy-snow periods tend to be a favorite time-of-year to dispose of dead bodies... dumped in a pile of snow, it's easy for the 'evidence' to get transported to a dumpsite, or shredded and burned, before anyone figures it out. :-\ Sick, eh?

Charlie -

That's just a few blocks away from my office, at Ray L's place of employment. Maybe we can get him to hop up on the roof and wave to us!

Doesn't look half that bad looking out my window (5th floor facing west). A cool thing being in an area like this is seeing it snow UP
wink.gif

<font size="-2">sitting back, waiting for the inevitable dissertaion on how air currents in metropolitan areas work...
lol.gif
</font>

Is there a way to stiffen up a lifting rod? The rod keeps bending when I push down on my blade.

Dave,
I thought you guys in Iowa just cow tipped for fun, I had no idea?"

Quote:
"Either way, in big cities, heavy-snow periods tend to be a favorite time-of-year to dispose of dead bodies... dumped in a pile of snow, it's easy for the 'evidence' to get transported to a dumpsite, or shredded and burned, before anyone figures it out. :-\ Sick, eh?"

About 4" here in my neck of the woods. Calling for 6-10 inches. Had the 71 out and sis a great job, didn't even open the govener. Sumpthin' about those 7 little ponies. Since I've been trapped in the house, the snow is a Godsend! So Bryan, it should just about right when you get home
thumbsup.gif

Dave,
Not sure of what you've seen or heard about snow plows on garbage trucks, but they work just fine. The wheel base on a tandem axle garbage truck isn't that long, it's the hopper on the rear that hangs out. Another + about the rear overhang is the traction aspect, <u>and</u> if your lucky it's full which mean you can have all you can eat. Spent many hours plowing with the ol' "Honey wagon".

Terry B., you could make a Steve Blunier "Ramming Speed"&#153; lift rod.
24755.jpg

24756.jpg

And here's an adjustable version I drew up.

24757.jpg

You're right, Tom- on those inner-city trucks, that front of the tandems is pretty short, but it's that overhang doesn't help the backin'-up in tight corners any. Buddy of mine was doing just that, and caught a fire-hydrant. Lemmie tell 'ya... THAT was a mess... by the time they got it all straightened out, the whole bottom-end of the 'honey pot' was a big-solid ice-cube... and he REALLY had ballast.

Considering the fact that garbage trucks run essentially every day of the week in most cities, they're actually in an excellent position to accept the front-blade- like Tom said- they're heavy at BOTH ends, they're also well equipped with hydraulics, and the drivers almost always KNOW the territory in which they're travelling. Best of all, the trucks are always in a good state of operating maintenance, not parked for several summers and mild winters. They don't have the maneuverabiilty or visibility of that articulated dual-gang Auger that Richard posted... chains on all fours... excellent visibility.

Terry- Yeah, cow-tipping just ain't safe- couple'a city-kids almost got trampled-to-death tryin' that stunt in my grandpa's ranch... didn't realize that Santa Gertrudis bulls are a bit 'protective' of the herd. I was brought up just a tad (JUST a tad) smarter'n that- Now I go on 'business' trips to big cities as a cover to disposing of all the bodies of the people I hate...

...at least... the ones I don't eat... {urp}

Bryan- the updraft is caused by substantial amounts of hot air developed in the vicinity... that often happens here, too!
dizzy.gif

To add to the garbage truck plowing topic I remember when I worked in CHI town I saw Quite a few with belly blades on them...Probably because of the narrow alleys and the amount of power poles also located in these already narrow alleys....
Just got done trying out the newly shod 149 with the 54"
ihrotate.gif
blade..
BOY ARE THE 54" BLADES NICE
beerchug.gif

Not only did it seem like it plowed twice as much snow..it seems to cut the plow time in half...
As an added bonus they also move twice as much un-frozen limestone/grass/sod/dirt...
Still would'nt trade it for love nor money...
<font size="-2">well, at least not money...</font>

(Message edited by krandall on January 05, 2005)

Terry, Here's one made using Steve's and Kraig's ideas. Used what I had, 5/8 threaded rod and 1/2 pipe . Same at the other end but the rod just welded in. Had to grind the rod end end slightly to fit the blade. Now if we would just get some snow so I could use it!!!!
John
24760.jpg

(Message edited by jgeorg on January 05, 2005)

I will take your suggestion into consideration Dennis. Didn't think much of where it was dealer installed.

Looks like we got about 4 inches in Loves Park.
Let it snow!

Heh, all this snow and I have nothing to plow. the complex has their own plow.

But then again, I don't have a plow blade yet either!
err.gif

Now if you want a true bullet proof lift rod, go with 3/8" thick x 1 1/4" wide flat steel and be done with it, make it long so it can be used on everything, grin
24762.jpg

The up draft is caused by all the 5th floor workers opening the window letting out the heat while trying to stick their head out the window and catching snow flakes on their tounge. The winner is the one that can stand flat footed and not lean out the window.
<font size="-2">(the rest is pre-edited out)</font>
happy.gif

Terry - it is called a "lift rod" not a push rod ;)

Charlie he wanted a lift rod not a lift flat ! Get on Amazon and buy that book "Lift Rods For Dummies"!
24764.gif

You got it straped to keep it from drooping too ?
24766.gif

Chi-town airport has over 7 hour delay , why don't you cub guys looking for something to do go clean off the runway for'em ! Sit Digger in the back of a # 2 trailer and he can be one of those snow melter things DK was talkin 'bout. Hot aired blow hard could melt a 12 foot snow bank ;)

Hey,
Nobody really answered my question.
sad.gif

Based on that, I have to assume it was the questions not the people trying to answer. So I'll give it another try.
thumbsup_old.gif

I have a lifting rod that I made for my plow. One end is bent over with a hole for a pin. The other end has 2 flat steel plates welded to it to create a yoke. It works real good except it bend when I push down on my blade. I would like to stiffen up the rod a little. Is there some way of maybe heating the thing up then trowing in a snow bank to harden it a little? I have another lifting rod for my snow thrower. It seems to be much more rigid, and it doesn't bend. They are both 1/2 inch rods. Maybe its the metal composition and there isn't anything I can do except make a new one.
sad.gif

The weather guessers are saying the heaviest snow is comming this evening in northern Illinois. Time to got ready for "Night maneuvers".
war.gif

Ken,
I've worked the "Snow Paatrol" at O'hare a couple of times. That <u>SUX!!!</u>You almost have to bring everything you own to wear, and as much as you can carry for food. You have no idea of when you'll be going home or where you will wind up.

Very impressive on how they plow the runways though. It's done in one shot down and one shot on the way back. Three big ass Oshkosh plows to a gigantic blower, times that by three ste of above, and then three trucks spraying glycohl(sp). You do a complete runway in about 20-30 minutes. Big $$ to be made, but the fireplace looks pretty good after that.

(Message edited by thoffman on January 05, 2005)

Terry B,
OK, rather than everybody trying to guess what you have and or talking about, why not take a pic and show us.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back