• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through February 21, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
josh, i am
lurking.gif
also

This engine had no balance gears and has the top mounted long dipstick, however I have a 301 in a 125 I have robbed parts from that has the cam gear cover DS. I have not opened it up yet other than to remove the head, only to find it was warped, but plan to as it has a stock piston yet.

Is that sticker something that is (or should be) re-produced?

Josh - I'm gonna get out my chain saw and deal with that limb you're on. If I recall correctly the 10,12 and 14hp blocks are all the same. It's just how Kohler bored them. As far as I know the 12hp never came with the side dipstick and top oil fill. I think the 10hp only ever came with the top fill. So in view of this it would seem Kohler probably made 14hp engines out of blocks intended to be 10 or 12hp but the bore was off. I think David Kirk may be the best source of the "real inside details" here. David are you lurking around to help us here? My chain saw is a little dull but might eventually get thru the limb that Josh is on.
biggrin.gif

David S - I'm pretty certain that tin cover with the decal had to come from a 14hp with balance gears. I don't think any of the 12hp at that time had both the side and top sticks. Should that decal be reproduced? Yes I think so. Anyone with a 14hp engine with both sticks needs to know to check the oil level using the side stick, and add/fill oil where the top stick is located.

Charlie,
How Cold is the "Deep Freeze" in your area going to be? Do you still go out and attempt to start the Cubs when it is cold? Most likely not, with your new shop they are all nice and toasty warm and likely purr right to life. My 1450 would not start last weekend here in Ohio, it had been in the negative temps overnight and was single digits when I tried. Had to put a new battery in and use either to get it to fire off! What a PITA.

Harry...
I had a few 127's with the 2 dip stick setup.Bought them from the original owners and they have the original motors in them.

Looks like Josh can stay on his limb.

Rob N.
They say 24 below, so that probably means closer to 30 below.
I've only got 2 runners now.
The 1450 is in the heated shop up the hill, and the 73 is in the main shop. Both inside temps are around 73, so no issues starting, LOL

Charlie,

Brrr....that is cold! At least your cubs are warm and your beach vacation is right around the corner. Have we seen a picture of your 1450? I believe that is your 2nd favorite model, behind the 149. They both have 14hp single Kohlers & are Wideframes!

Rob,

Charlie won't feel the cold nearly as much with all those trees around him to stop the wind. The temps will be colder because of it, but there is far more wind chill on the prairie, where I live.

Still, in Minnesota, at this time of year, it is terribly cold. That's okay. We can take it.

73 in the shop. My house isn't that warm. If I could get the shop that warm maybe I would get more done in the winter.
John near KC

Rob N.
The 149 is my least favorite!
BUT, they are freakin work horses!!!!!!!!!
The 147 is the best machine they ever made, LOL
Then the 1450, then 123.
Kraig's got dibs on the 125, so I can horn in on that one.
biggrin.gif

I actually thought about pulling the 149 out of the scrap pile, but thought better of it. I do think it could have been fixed back up with little effort. But I wasn't in the mood at the time.
294624.jpg

Has anyone replaced the 149 style round headlight switch with one from a Farmall tractor? I can find a tractor one much cheaper than a new cub switch. I have read that it will work but has anyone done it?
John near KC

john no problems and I half think they are the same part number
1a_scratchhead.gif

Just cause they have the same knob, doesn't mean they are the same.
The most common Farmall switch that I've seen is PN/376851R92 which are 4 pole.
294626.jpg

149, PN/ IH-394771-R93 is 3 pole.
294627.jpg

Harry,
Sounds like Lew saved me and I'm still on my limb. So, the dual dipstick setup came out in the 147 era. Blocks on the Kohler line, whether they're 12's or 14's, were all casted/machined with the dipstick hole. They had clearance issues with balance gears and the upper dipstick. Top dipstick is then made smaller and the cam gear cover is changed with the dipstick setup. So I guess my point is..............What's the difference if it's a K301 or K321? All they did was change out the top dipstick and put a different cover with a dipstick on the side. Using up what they had on hand with blocks/dipstick tubes maybe? So I'm missing your point. There are other applications that used Kohler's back then as well. Maybe those buyers didn't want balance gears and still preferred the top dipstick? Too bad we couldn't find someone who worked for Kohler back in the day.

They changed when the 1X8/1X9's came out, then again with the Quietlines. So they were like other manufacturers, changing with the times/technology. I'm curious about why they had the dual setup, too. Hope to hear from the experts.

Charlie thanks for the pictures. The Farmall has more postions and can control charging rate. I read elsewhere that it might work if you just use the light terminals.
John

Josh - you can stay out on that limb and I'll start working on cutting the tree down. As for Lewis, well you can find about anything in NJ, you just have to find the right exit.

I'm hoping David Kirk will chime in with details.

I think all the 14hp got balance gears in the 147 era and only some of the 12hp apparently (all because of Lew) - but just why is the big question. We know that's why they went to the side dip stick and top fill stick.

David's probably lurking waiting to see if I can cut the tree all the way down before he says something. Back in the early Forum days (BGC), I think David came into the picture and knew some engineers at Kohler (mid '90s). I even asked him to check on some NOS K series blocks and he told me they were all melted down into brand spanking new bath tubs.

John M. Just my .02 I used a light switch from an 806 Farmall on my 122. I have Hi and Lo beam headlights and the red tail light. Works great and has been for almost 30 yrs now. I have it mounted in the cig lighter hole.

Latest posts

Back