• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 20, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcbusch

displayname
Terry Busch
James,
Hope this helps.
79795.jpg

thumbsup_old.gif
Jason! Now tell us how much? Looks like a 6.5 to me.
happy.gif

Isn't the reason for a 147 due to the fact that the flywheel/housing on a K321 didn't fit the 1x7 frame?

Todd, Thanks for the info. Kraig I am sure that it is a 301. My concern is wether the 14 Hp will bolt in in it's place and if not, if the oil pans will interchange. Thanks Rich P

You bet Terry,that"s just what I needed. Now I don"t feel so dumb. Thanks again. Jim

Rich, no, I almost forgot, the 14hp has a larger flywheel and won't fit inside the frame. The 147 has special flairs built into the frame to accommodate the larger flywheel. (I see Frank is on the ball.
thumbsup.gif
)

Good point Kraig
I forgot the 127,147 was narrow frame. Somehow I always think of my wideframe........

Terry, do you have a photo handy of the flairs in the frame from one of your 147's that you could post for Rich?
dunno.gif

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but I believe you could swap the flywheel and housing from the 12hp onto the 14hp. You'd gain some hp but it wouldn't have the lugging power without the added mass of the larger flywheel. I seem to recall that someone on here did this. Denny F. was it you that did this??????

Todd, actually Frank made the point before I did, I missed it, so I had to go back and give him credit.
blush.gif

Terry B., I found one. This is Wyatt's custom Cub that he's been working on for a while. It's a 147 frame with a 1x2/3 grill. Note the red circle around the flair or flare whichever you prefer.
clown.gif

79797.jpg

Later, I'm outta here....
bubbly.gif

Frank, Todd, Boy it's amazing the info you guys have. I never thought about flywheel and shroud not fitting the frame. I saw a flaired frame but I think it had a 16 HP and didn't think about the 14 Thanks AGAIN!!
yikes.gif

Rich - If your engine is off a wood splitter it may have to big of a crank for your cub. I have a blue K301 here with a 1.125" crank on the PTO end. I also have a flat pan K301 but the pan to frame ears are way to wide for a narrow frame but the pan is yellow.

Nice job Frank,
Kraig, I had to go back and read again myself.
thumbsup_old.gif

Kraig M thanks for the Photo and the great info, I might research the flywheel shroud idea tho
bubbly.gif

Ken appreciate that , I'll check that out, I may have to rethink my engine swap!
yikes.gif

Rich - Sitting here thinking @$#&&^$#@! my head hurts !
The "blue" K301 may have the larger crank diameter of 1.125" because of the electric PTO that was on it. It may have been cheaper for them to have Kohler make the crank bigger than for them to redesign a PTO system. I've not seen any electric PTOs smaller than 1.125" bore.

Ken, I sure don't want you to hurt your head or anything else for that matter. I'll probably wait to invade the Cubhouse cause we have temps rangeing down to -16 and TODAYS HIGH = 0 degrees Farenheit I will check the crank diameter and let you Know.... now where did I put my mukluks??
yikes.gif

Kraig, I checked my pictures and didn't find one. I would take a picture of one of my 147's but its -5 degrees out right now and I cant see the cubs from my recliner.

BTW, I thought we all agreed that a 12 HP flywheel on a 14 HP engine does not affect the horse power. The flywheel adds inertia to a motor. This inertia is used to resist changes in RPM's. An object in motion wants to stay in motion. If you used a smaller flywheel on a motor, and you where lugging the motor down while plowing, the motor would jerk or pulsate every time the piston was pushed down. This would be caused by the inability of the flywheel to store up enough energy. However the power of the piston or the torque of the motor would not change. The RPM's also wouldn't change. So HP wouldn't change.
baldguy.gif

Terry, my point in "you'd gain some hp" was in reference to the change from the 12hp to the 14hp block, not that changing the flywheel would add HP to the 14hp. My second point on changing the flywheel was that the 14hp with a lighter flywheel would loose some "umph" (KENtucky, did I spell that right?) when lugging it down.

Ken-

So do you mean the Quietlines have 1 1/8" cranks as well? I thought that they had the same 1" crank diameter as the earlier tractors.

Back