• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 19, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a red 1282 what are some minor improvements I can make to this, to make it run stronger?

Define run stronger? Minor adjustments are making sure carb is clean & adjusted properly as well as timing is correct. Head gasket is sealing up good, fresh fuel, good spark plug with proper gap, clean oil, clean air filter etc. These are all easy things to check on.

I was talking about little addons to increase HP under a few hundred bucks. I would like to know the proper carb settings though.

Not much as far as add ons to improve power, but if you open her up & do a little machine work ie: valve job, mill head, k361 cam then you'll have a bit more power out of the engine & that will pretty much burn up your few hun $$$

You guys have been pretty quiet for way to long isn't anything going on in pulling land?

Last fall I started building a dead weight puller only; working an achieving a weight of 800 lbs. or less including myself which I have lost 28 lbs. Took several parts from different donors and making 1 good (hopefully) great tractor.

Well after painting, fixing, designing and a few choice firehouse words, got to the place Sunday it was ready for wiring. 1 wire at a time following the 106 schematic I proudly can say "Bare Bones" is alive. Been a winter project but with spring here and pulling starting soon the tractor and old man are all most ready to go.

Pictures soon I hope!

Pops

It's been quiet here in central Ohio because it rained out 2 scheduled pulls here and 1 rain date
for our SEOGTPA club. We'll see what happens in 2 weeks!!

I'm posting this for Pops.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Tractor's name Bare Bones, Pops, the new sled that I restored for dead weight pulling, and our wonderful companion dog Juzzee.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

151934.jpg

do any of you guys know were i can find regulations if there are any because i have a few tractors sitting around and i would like to try making one into a puller if you have any info thanks

TRAVIS - Nat'l Quarter-Scale pulling rules are in the back of the catalog from Midwest SuperCub. They probably have them on their website also.

Far as local pulling clubs or groups, They may or may NOT follow the Nat'l rules.

Thanks Kraig, a lot of fun went into this little guy and reworking the sled. Without any weight added the sled starts out at 1,340 lbs.

I made the runners from an old barn beam that we had on the farm.

Let's go pulling---------Pops

Just a couple of picks from our Test and tune day from Saturday. We pulled on a dirt road north of the sled owners house. This is a day to hook for every one to set up tractors and check the sled for proper adjustment. And just get to gether and have some fun.
152513.jpg

152514.jpg

Dennis Frisk, just scrolling back through the posts and came across your post regarding the 903 cummins. We had one years ago in a 10 ton military truck and the only thing it was good for was controlling the mosquitoe population. WOW, the smoke...changed injectors and normal maintenance and nothing but tons of smoke and boy did it suck down the fuel. We ended up putting a 3406 Cat in its place with a lot of modifications to the frame and tranny, but it was worth it... and cat yellow is close enough to CUB yellow. Nick

RICK - The 2-3 yrs I drove that White w/903 I mostly beat back & forth between Davenport IA & Chicago, about 3 hrs one way all the time but I did run longer runs, Detroit, Kansas City, St. Louis. Truck was a Day Cab with no sleeper bunk. Pretty basic truck, ordered out by Standard Forwarding, JD's captive contract carrier at the time. Company I drove for had 5 of them if I remember right. And THEY all smoked bad too. Especially in cold weather if You let them idle for any length of time, a gray nasty smelling smoke.
I averaged about 4 to 4-1/2 MPG in the summer and in winter with blended fuel I dropped to about 4. Not good by today's standards but I was loaded to around 75,000# gross most of the time. But I remember the day I first paid $0.60/gal. for fuel. Wish I could get fuel for that price now!
Company I drove for didn't have much of a maintenance program, they just patched things up when they broke to get You back on the road. Things like oil changes and grease jobs just didn't happen.
Truck was a '79 RoadBoss II, only had a 144" wheelbase and Reyco 4-leaf rear suspension so it rode pretty rough but the only other things I didn't care for about the truck was the lack of power steering, could have used a few more gears, only had a 6-speed Spicer trans, and it needed a 10-speed Road-Ranger with some overdrives, had 4.44 rear gears and was governed to 67 MPH @ 2500 rpm. And another 30-40 gal. of fuel capacity would have been nice, they only had one 125-130 gal. tank and in winter after My multi-stop runs I'd have to buy fuel to get home.
The cmpany had a mixed assortment of other trucks, couple S-series IH tractors, lots of Tran-Star IH tilt-cabs, an Astro-95 GMC, CL-9000 & L-9000 Fords, couple White RoadCommander's. Lots of 6V-92 turbo'd Detroits, and a couple 290 Cummins and lots of 350 Cummins. The one TranStar had an 8V-92 turbo'd Detroit, rated about 435 HP w/9-speed R-Ranger. Would run 75 loaded into a headwind if You kept Your foot in it hard enough, and got a whopping 3-1/2 MPG while doing it. But it carried 300 gal. of fuel.

From what I've gathered from other websites the 903 was used in some other military vehicles, like the Bradley armored troop carrier. Rated at about 600 HP which was quite a jump from the 320 HP @ 2600 rpm My truck was rated at. Guess they made a decent boat motor also. They didn't make quite as much torque as the 855 cid in-line 6's but they pulled pretty good from 1700 to the governed 2500 rpm limit, I just needed a couple more lower gears to keep it running in that range.
I'd driven a ready-mix truck back in the summer of '75, a '74 Diamond Reo w/555 Cummins & 5-spd Allison automatic. That 208 HP engine was no match for a truck that was loaded to over 50,000# all the time, especially with the Allison A/T. That was a tough job for a truck, idle around for an hour waiting to load, run the snot out of it for a half hour getting to the pour, idle for another hour unloading, then run hard again back to get another load. Everytime I drive My '96 F-250 Powerstroke I think about how it would run grossing 52,000#, My PSD actually has more HP than that 555 did!

3406 is a good motor. I read all the posts on the diesel pickup sites about "Real diesel engines are in-line 6's" and laugh. Most of those posts are made by people who've never driven anything bigger than a diesel pickup. Between My Dad & I We have logged over a Million miles on V-8 Cummins engines in class 7&8 trucks and there was only one night when My 903 swallowed some water and I bent two connecting rods and I couldn't drive it home. And Dad's '74 RoadBoss w/903 threw the fan thru the radiator one night but that wasn't the engine's fault. I'd take a V-8 903 Cummins over ANY comparable Detroit and a 555 over a 3208 CAT any day. They aren't as good as the engines avail. in trucks today but they were better than most available 30-40 yrs ago. Buddy of Mine drove an S-2200 IH W/ 6V-92 TTA & 9-speed, He'd run right with Me all the time, engine was rated 300-310 HP, and He got close to 5 MPG, but first thing every day He'd add a gallon of oil THEN pull the dipstick and see if it needed more! I'd add a quart or two of oil in My 903 once a week running 2500-3000 miles.

Just a little note of pulling fun this last week. Last Sat. my daughter and I competed in a dirt running pull. With Bare Bones taking 2nd w/daughter in light modified class. I took 2nd in middle modified.

My little 1000 and i took 2nd in heavy super stock w/ 3 full pulls and for the heck of it I put the 1000 in heavy modified class and proudly it and I took 4th in that class.

Thursday night we got a chance to see what Bare Bones could do at a dead weight pull. Ol Pops was so excited to see what I had built this winter. Heavens behold the little tractor and my daughter weighing in at 710lbs. took 1st. place in the light weight class with a percentage of 343%. I knew all along as I built this thing that I had a great chance having a champion on hand. But, seeing my daughter (23 yrs. old) winning was more than priceless!!!!!!!!!!

Pops

hi all
i need some help my local club that im a member of wants to go back to pulling dead weight.
we pulled the transfer sled one time and a few people didnt like it now theres talk that they are going back to dead weight is there any advice i can take to my club why the trasfer sled would be better.
what im looking for is some good point to bring up if there is any im farley new to pulling so im looking for some advicethanks again

Darren: I love both types of pulls but I enjoy running pulls just a little more. Reason they go faster and I think you have more options on how to build a tractor. From the stock classes on up but also it takes a little more money then dead pulling.

Problay most of you members are set up for dead weight it is in a sense kinda hard to make a tractor do both. That is why I have 2 one is better at dead weight and another is more suited for running.

It will be an arguement that has gone on for a long time so just talk open and be prepared to make the adjustments for whatever pulling you guys decide. Biggest thing Have Fun!!

Pops

Ben i agree with you 100% that the most important thig is to have fun we dont pull for money at the end of the day the top three get a pin and braggin rights of cource
i was just courous what others thought im going to pull no matter what i hook to but i feel a little bad for the guy that spent all winter building the new sled if we dont continu to use it

Latest posts

Back