• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 16, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. First post so please be patient. I just purchase a 124 without an engine. I know where I can get a 14hp Kohler(K321 if I remember correctly). My questions are: 1) Will it bolt in and line up with the drive shaft properly? 2) The engine has a regular starter and stator instead of the starter/generator. How do I wire it and can I use the original regulator? Doesn't seem like a big deal, but any info before I start on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ken, I got her high centered by driving on some really deep snow that had an icy top crust that I thought would hole me and tractor up. I broke through and the snow under was really soft and fluffy. The tractor stayed up because of the surface area of the bottom side but wheels spun very freely. It was not fun getting her out.

Mike E.
Welcome to the forum.
beerchug.gif

As far as you putting a 14 in your 124.
It's not gonna happen unless you change the flywheel and sheet metal from the 12 to the 14. The reason being is that the 14's flywheel is to large to fit between the frame rails on your narrow frame tractor.
Or you could fab gussets into the frame like the 147 has, then it's an easy drop in.
51830.jpg

Mike, Im new to the post too and don't know a whole lot but I do know that if it had a 321 in her befor and you replace her with a nother 321 you should be good to go. The only thing I could think of that might go wrong is that some of the crank shafts are 1" and others are 1 1/8". As far as the regulator goes, I don't know, does it have an alternator on the new engine? If so you might need a different setup as far as a charging system. If it has a generator you are probly just fine to hook it up to the regulator.

Mike, I'm fairly new here myself, but from what I understand, the 14hp engine with starter is wider than the old narrow frame's width. You'd have to cut notches in the frame. I believe the 147 came with notches from the factory.

Charlie:
It should be a Cub 321 - right? Non Cub 321's have different pans and engine mounting points??

Kendell,Mike: thx for the comments, that cab definetly makes a difference when blowing
err.gif

Kendell, The 124 came with a K301.
And yes it's best to find an engine from another Cub because of the pan, but it's not that hard to find pans to put on off topic tractor engines, but by doing so, you run into other problems with the wiring and the way other things hook up.

Back