• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 16, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie, I thought you were supposed to get 12" or more down that way. Oh well.

Tom H., nice tractor!

Wayne S., WOW!

Terry B, nice job on the cab door!

1650 (Kohler K321?) Governor adjusting question:

I was reading thru the FAQ regarding adjusting the governor that Digger referred me to a while back, and have a question about the SPEED adjustment:

It says to adjust the speed, to loosen the capscrew on the speed control bracket and adjust the position of the high-speed stop. Isn't the maximim speed determined by whether the throttle plate is fully open or not?

If I first determine that the throttle plate opens fully when I move the lever all the way, then adjust the governor arm like it says (loosen arm clamp on cross-shaft, move arm AWAY from carb, turn cross-shaft counter clockwise, tighten clamp), I don't understand what the high-speed stop function is for, other than a LIMITATION on the full-open throttle plate.

Is that what it is?

Ted,
your engine should be a K341AQS,unless its been changed,but that does'nt matter. the speed control bracket limits the amount of tension on the governor spring,increasing tension raises rpm and vice versa.When I set a governor I do make sure the throttle plate is fully open.The stop bracket is there to set your top no load speed...
hope this helped, Tony

Wow, Thursday night was real blizzard conditions here in mid Cheeseland. A Northeast wind always leaves a huge drift in the turn-around area of the driveway. Resulted in about two hours of fun on the Cub. End result appears below. What a snow moving machine!
34087.jpg

34088.jpg

Item#34 on my 147 has a grove warn into it. Not enough to leak yet, but I'd like to replace it.
The second picture is a hydro for a 149. Would item#51 of the 149 transmission fit in place of my item#34? It looks like there is even another version using items 31, 32, and, 33. What was the reason for that change? Was the long tube version for cooling? Was it for keeping the pump primed? Why did they change the design?

Just curious
34092.gif

34093.gif

Thanks,

Terry take it off and braze it up ,not much pressure there.

Terry, initially the thought was that cooling was needed thus the long #34 cooling tube, unless you wish to keep your 147 "correct" go ahead and replace that tube with either of the other versions, or do like Mike M. suggests and braze it up. There shouldn't be any positive pressure there as that it a suction tube.

David K., that is a big drift! <font size="-2">So that's where all the snow went.</font>
happy.gif

Terry, if you replace the tube with the new short style, be aware that the two shown in the second picture arn't interchangable. I don't remember the difference, but only one will fit.

John G., good catch! Item #51 is listed for tractors with S/N: 468991 and above. Items #31, 32 and 33 listed for tractors with S/N: 468990 and below.

Tony:

Thanks for the governor clarification. (Also realized that I put 1650 in the post, mine is actually a 1450).

I got to thinking about it, and remembered that the throttle plate position doesn't necessarily determine engine speed, it's also "governed" by the load applied. Thanks.

How does the average joe measure engine rpm? I have a dwell meter for a car, can that be adapted?

Ted B -

Umm, would ya believe...

...with a tachometer?
wink.gif

A vibratach will work fine and they're not all that expensive. Sponsors, small engine shops, they should all carry 'em...

TED - You say You have a Dwell meter.... Normally they're a Tach also.... adjustable for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. With the tach/dwell meter set on 4 cylinders a Kohler will read 1/4 the actual engine RPM.... so an indicated 900 rpm should be 3600 engine RPM.

Uhh, hey David Kirk. Quit hogging all the snow!!
tongue.gif

Man, that's a huge drift!!

Here in the Buckeye state, I have only had to use the 1450 and QA42A once this winter.
sad.gif

(Message edited by Bcook on February 21, 2006)

Wild Bill, I bought a QA042 in Akron at Christmas time and haven't had to use it yet in west central OH. Darn.

I'm hearin' you Tom! It sure has been a 'weird' winter.

The 1250, and 1450 have been just sitting, collecting dust!

Charlie,
I did a quick search and found lots of digital laser tachs, but they were all 2 to 5 times as much as you stated. What model is yours, and where did you get it?
Thanks.

Bruce, I searched for the model number (dt-2236c) that I read from the photo that Chralie posted and using google to search, I was able to find it. Here's a hint: ebay item number: 7592381616

Latest posts

Back