Archive through February 13, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad & Jim,

The spring shouldn't be able to hit the bearing locking collar because the locking collar is on the opposite side of the clutch assembly from the spring. The wear has to be caused by something that doesn't always rotate with the pulley and is in position to come in contact with the spring. The only two options are the inner bearing race and the crankshaft. Either the throwout levers have to be overtightened or the snap ring that sets the position of the clutch housing on the outer bearing race is out of place. I'd bet on the screws being overtightened because most of these clutch assemblies have been repaired by people with no clue what they're doing. The gauge supplied in the rebuild kits is there to keep this from happening.

Jerry

Rob fuller,
While restoring my 128, I replaced the original rear cover gasket with a new one. BOTH gaskets had the extra hole. I believe the tranny had the extra hole in the end too, but the cover did not. I remember trying to figure out why, but gave up and kept on restoring. I will check my 70 since it is being restored to see what it has.

Rob F.
NEWS FLASH!
Rob, I looked in my IH 128 parts manual and the gasket(item#10)shows the extra hole. Also, the tranny end shows the extra hole!! I was right!
clappy.gif

Could it be that an attachment to the tranny (like the live pto) would have the extra hole requirement? Maybe someone can help us out.

I was replaceing an axle tube gasket on a 70 yesterday and found the differential loose from the ring gear. It's almost imperceptable but it's there. The manual says press out the old rivets but I didn't find anything on replacement.
Can you replace the rivets with bolts?

Bruce C.
I'll definitely second the recommendation of going to Tri-Ribs for snow removal duty. The turf tires aren't worth a darn on snow, the tri-ribs give you a bite and some directional control. As far as weight goes, wheel weights shouldn't affect much what is weighing down the front axle, though suitcase weights off the back might have an effect. That snow blower is quite a lot of weight on the front itself, and I broke a front axle in the December storm from the beating it took.

BTW, we got almost 4 feet in the 2 blizzards last week, and another 3-5 inches expected tomorrow. I'm still fighting to keep the road from drifting shut from the last snow here, I'll have to make a couple of passes before dark. Anyway, here's a picture of my 129 next to the snow piles.

185519.jpg

I have checked the driveshaft pins on my 108 and dont see anything amiss with them. The shaft rotates the pinned collar when I turn it by hand in neutral. My shifter feels just like it always did, doesn't feel like anything is messed up inside. I'm just trying to avoid disassembly if I possibly can....

For my education, how can I be certain this is not clutch related? When the clutch goes out in my truck it acts like this, it wont o anywhere. I know my cub clutch plate was getting low when I did some other repair on the shaft a couple years ago. I should have replaced it but didn't.

Wayne, lock the brake and put it in gear, then try to turn the shaft by hand and see if it spins. Thats a broke pin if it will spin on the engine side of the tranny coupler and not on the tranny side.

Rob F.,
I just checked my 70. The gasket, along with the transmission both have the extra hole! Upon checking again in my parts manual, I have found I was correct again. The transmission driven power take-off cover plate(item#9)shows the "extra hole" along with a "cover lower dowel pin". Would anyone have a photo of this application showing the use of the pin?\clipart
{help}
By the way, progress has begun on the 70 restoration again.
Primed and ready for paint.
185524.jpg

Sanded and almost ready for primer.
185525.jpg

185526.jpg

Latest posts

Back