Archive through February 10, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
Harry,
Art waiting for some numbers from a 169,,,,

Note the black grille in the 782D picture Kraig posted on the last page. A preproduction part used for ad I s'pose. Never saw one in the real world, did you guys?

JIM - Maybe it's just SOOT from the cracked exh manifold those little diesel's normally develop!
lol.gif

Jim Diederichs

When the chrome is bad Black looks better I think.

253469.jpg

Don-
Great timing! I was just wondering what a BLACK grill would look like on a yellow and white 82-series.

Denny/Charlie -

I do miss the days when McMaster would courier parts SAME DAY to my office for the same price as ground. Order in the morning and have them to take home in the afternoon.

Of course, one doesn't need the latest catalog (I have #104, too, second hand from Dan H.) with the web, but it's not as easy to get the PC into the "library" LOL

Hello
Finally figured out again how to post on this thing again, well got my little tractor going again. smoking a bit but that should clear up once its been run awhile. problem turned out to be several small things mostly bad elec connections and ground wire. What really puzzles me though was the fact that it started up and ran fine when I first got it home and replaced the starter, then would not start again after. Go figure! I just wanted to say thanks to all for their help/advice/knowledge/etc in getting it going. Now to get some tires and finish putting it back together. I am looking forward to a garden this spring and this will help alot with the rototiller on the back. I do love tomatoes and green beans fresh out of the garden. Again thanks to all, especialy Kirk engines inc. and CC specialties. Neil

BRYAN - Yes, McMaster does do an excellent job on shipping. I never had to "Courier" stuff from them, but I did make a fuss once when they shipped something from Chicago via a haphazard shipping co. during a UPS strike years ago that took over a week to get to Madison from Chicago. They shipped me another shipment Friday night from California via UPS Red Saturday delivery AFTER UPS went back to work. The UPS shipment was delivered promptly at 10:30 AM as promised. The other shipment co. made a delivery attempt about Tuesday or Wednesday the following week. And I ordered it on a Monday.

I'm surprised you don't have Wireless in your house Bryan... so you can surf the 'Net on a laptop or tablet in your "Library".

Thing I like about a paper catalog from some place mike McMaster is there's SO MUCH available from them that you can scan the catalog faster than searching pages on-line, especially if you have a slower connection like I do out here in the country. My Folks had fiber optic cables buried past their house ten years ago but I doubt we EVER get them.

DON - The grill insert in my 982 is painted an argent silver. Be nice it it was chrome! It'd match the dual exh. outlets the prior owner installed.

I was watching some video's of people blowing 25-30-35 inches of snow out in the north-east with their little tractors on another site. Sure makes me glad I use a blade. I end up "WEARING" way less snow. Maybe if I had a cab or enclosure like Kraig, Steve B, etc.

Art, Mike and Jeff - well just sent off the 169 serial build number and the 13fin Kohler numbers to Art. I must advise you of a minor correction (dang memory slipping again). My son's 169 serial build number is actually 523764 (not a 3 at the end) so there were 3 tractors built between mine and my son's.

Recently acquired my first Cadet, a 129 w/o elec lift. Found one on a 147, are they compatible? Also, does an index exist that cross references all the various models and what attachments will and/or will not interchange? Tanx

I found a new issue with my 1450 after I put it back together from a failed muffler. I now have a leak from the fuel tank shutoff. If it off, it does not leak. If it is open there is a constant stream of gas from around the shaft the handle connects to. Are there any o-rings that I can replace to "rebuild" it, or do I have to replace the shutoff?

Here is the current 169/1650 after the addition of Tom and Harry's Son's 169 info. (I didn't include the names to protect the innocent.)
joker.gif

253540.jpg

found out my 104 has a cracked piston , glad i decided to tear it down

Scott Nicklas
That leak was talked about by another member last week; some use string but CC Specialties sells a repair on his site - Fuel Line Sleeve PN/ IH-144526-H1 - KH-220547-S For 2$ .

remove the fuel shut of by removing the nut and place the sleeve over the end on the sleeve and put it back together. BTDT.

Grant Milton Morris

Could you post a picture of that piston ? was it cracked in a ring grove? Or ?
1a_scratchhead.gif

126 Update:

Me and the Boys spent this evening tearing out the engine from the 126. I was leary of the narrow frame deal and the difficulties associated with it, but it was VERY straightforward and an easy job. One lesson learned was that when you are taking off the cast iron zig-zag grill, you might want to have a hand steadying it - else that heavy thing will tumble to the floor quickly, mashing whatever fingers and toes might be in the way...
bash.gif

Once we pulled the engine out of the tractor, we set it on a bench and pulled the oil pan. The pan was cast iron. My WF tractors have aluminum oil pans. Wonder when IH made this change...
1a_scratchhead.gif

When I pulled the oil pan, you could see the piston rod was broken in two places, at the top of the cylinder and at the rod bearing/crank. The crank looks very scored and has much aluminum build-up on it. I don't think I'll be dodging a bullet on this engine, I'm going to have to shell out some serious $$$'s or find a donor.

I was surprised the engine had balance gears. The service manual says only the 147 had balance gears - if I read it right.

Between the cast iron oil pan, balance gears and a black painted S/G, I'm wondering if this is the original engine or a replacement from another year make.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow of the debris.

greenthumb.gif

Alan Mayer: If you click on "Parts Lookup" above and pull up first "Garden Tractors" and then "129" you will find a folder for "Attachments" specific to your tractor. It is a good place to start, although there are sometimes critical details which require more digging to verify.

There is also a folder for JUST "Attachments" at the same level as the "Garden Tractor" on Parts Lookup that list every single Cub Cadet attachment ever made. I find its listing more confusing than helpful, when I'm trying to match an attachment to its application.

Scott Nicklas: I believe that Cub Cadet Specialties (and perhaps other sponsors) sell a replacement o-ring for the fuel shut-off valve. (I know the one on my 149 was leaking when I got it.) Some folks take the nut off and wrap string around the valve stem and re-assemble to stop the leak. I didn't know about the string trick, and I bought a whole new fuel bowl assembly from Charlie. His unit was actually better quality than the one I took off the tractor.

Bill Jamison: Are you sure the motor in the 126 is a 12 HP? Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back