Archive through February 10, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg E,
The late Quiet lines and the early 82 series (all with cast iron rearends) had internal brakes
as well. 1450, 1650, 682, 782. Most of these had aluminum axle tubes though.

The best/strongest setup would be to use the cast iron housing and put the two piece carrier and fine spline axles from an aluminum rearend in it.

Jerry B.
Just trying to thaw out a little. I'm UP to -13.4 so far, so it's lookin better.
buttrock.gif

I use my 125 each year to plow snow from a long gravel drive. It has been great until this year. It has trouble with getting traction. I have the same set up as in the past years, tire chains, wheel weights and I have not lost any weight (gained if anything). Could it have to do with rear tire pressure? Is it better to have them at rated pressure of only 5 to 10 PSI? thanks in advance.
worthy.gif

Charlie,
You'll have to forgive me, I'm new to cubs. My wife & I went to an estate sale last year for something to do. She bought a $3 kitchen item and I came home with a $500 147 with tiller and box blade, smoked & knocked like crazy. I have just about completed O/H of the engine. I read your posting about "creapers". Do I understand you to say that a creaper will fit on my 147 & will I need it for the tiller? (why are all the cub nuts up north? Did it have something to do with reconstruction back after the "war of northen aggression".)
Short & retired in Texas.

Frank,
I appreciate the info. So, I should be looking for a 105 or 125 since the 123 is pretty rare.

Todd M.- I think I have seen some internal brake 82's. In fact, now that I think about it, I believe I sold a 782 to a guy this past year. Darn!! I should have kept it!!

Would the Sundstrand Hydro pump be the same on the older 105/125 as it would be on say the 682 internal brake hydro? Non-ported of course. I was just wondering if it is the same model number Sundstrand? You might think that there may have been some improvement in the design? But, I am not so sure. Anyone know this answer? I have a secret project I am working on and these are pertinent questions. Thanks guys.

Greg E.-

The 682 has the same hydro pump as the earlier tractors. There are some slight internal differences, but I don't think they are necessarily improvements, just different ways of doing the same thing.

James N.-

Creepers do not fit on hydro tractors because they do not need them. A creeper is needed on a gear drive tractor to slow it down enough to be able to till with it.

Matt-- is the pump splines the same? Or are the internal differences you are referring to things like gearing differences?

Has anyone made a rear sleeve hitch lift/boom aprox 2 foot long or so? I have alot of downed trees, I need to lift an end to pull them. How much can a 149 hydro sleeve hitch lift? Will one inch round stock work?
Thanks

Charlie P. Angel just said that a friend of hers near Grundy Center informed her that it is -35* there with the wind chill. Don't know what it is here just know that Fancy and I aren't going out unless we have too.

Donnie H. Maybe the snow is of a heavier composition (wetter thus heavier). My 125 is a 1968, serial #251016. What year is yours and have any pictures of it. (Kraig M.... we have another fella with one of those slant grille 125s).
Shift.gif

Greg E. I think Matt G. is referring to internal improvements within the 15U hydro system.

This is the area that I finished clearing yesterday morning with the 125. When the wind dies down I'll get a picture of how it looks drifted in.
79295.jpg

...'82 series with Delux cab

Is there a set of later instructions on how to install differently on later tractors or a certain size of spacer?

79297.jpg

The wind and temp was decent enough here yesterday for sandblasting. I got most of the engine parts done and spent the better part of the afternoon waiting for paint to dry. This morning assembly began. Here are some pics while I round up the rest of the parts.
79307.jpg

I bought the wrong lenth bolts for the head
bash.gif
.I'll pick up the right ones tommorrow.
79308.jpg

79309.jpg

Charlie,

If the creepers will fit into other cub cadets. are the internals, gears, bearings, lips seals all the same?

I just realized that the starter pulley will have to come back off, so the starter/Gen bracket can go on. I am glad I saw that before I locked it down!

Greg E.-

The output spline is the same for all standard-frame GT pumps. The main difference I can think of is the motor swash plate; the design of the later one is a little different. In the later one, it is cast into the housing, and the slippers ride on a big washer, whereas in the earlier one, the motor swash plate is this much larger iron casting that bolts onto the inside of the case.

Charlie/Jim-

I haven't taken apart my two aluminum ones yet, but it appears that the main shaft, planet carrier, planet gears, shift collar, etc. are the same. I know for sure that the shift lever is different, as is the detent mechanism.

Marlin H:
I am at work now but I will try to get Ser # and pictures posted Monday. I also have a 124 which was my first, it was restored the winter of 2001. I will post it as well. Thanks for the help.

after noon. i will have to change my profile because i sold a good tractor today, but i will have a 107 in a few weeks time for Frank C and a snow blade .i think thats not bad i will have 5 cubs lol
coffee.gif

Latest posts

Back