Archive through February 09, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard S - you originally said if you advance the throttle quickly the engine dies, but if you advance it slowly it will accelerate.

Your expectations may be to great for your Kohler. I agree it should not die when advancing the throttle quickly but in my experience it could stumble a little and then catch up to full throttle.

What we really don't know here is what you mean by "quickly" and how slow is "slowly". You canNOT just "jam the throttle from idle to full", however, you shouldn't have to push it up really slowly either.

I suspect your points and condensor are good (since they are new Kohler). I assume your spark plug is new, good coil, good spark plug wire. I would proceed as Steve B (Mr. Plow) suggests and tweek the carb a bit to the rich side until you find the best acceleration performance point.

If this still doesn't seem to resolve the problem then I do wonder about the governor setting. Since the engine is "new to you" do you know if the governor itself is set correctly and the governor spring is set in the correct hole? If the spring is set to tight it will pull the throttle full open very quickly almost to quickly, and may even cause an over-rev situation.

Pictures or video could really be helpful if possible.

Resetting the governor for the new carb should have been part of the install. If not, refer to the K-series manual for the adjustment (might be and FAQ here too, haven't looked in a while) and then retry the carb settings.

My Kohler singles have always responded to a rapid acceleration with no issues if tuned correctly. Warm at idle to WOT as fast as you can push the throttle and she follows right up the RPM scale.....no stumble and they don't die.

You guys got any snow over there , cause we got a bunch over here.

294057.jpg

I need my 2 stage for next winter .

Jeff B,

The wide frame subframe for your 42" blade will fit a 782 just like your 169, but the lift rod will make contact with the bottom part of the RH side panel a bit when raising the blade.

Steve B - some of my Kohlers have done better than others when quickly pushing the throttle up. But mine do stumble a little on occasion if pushed really quickly - maybe because they are set a little rich - boy I love those Kohler fumes.

Not knowing what Richard S is using for an "after market carb" it could be the best the carb will function - but he certainly needs to check the governor adjustment and governor spring setting as you noted.

Don T - glad to see you got a bunch. Hope you're having fun
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Ron would a different rod work or is it something I live with?

Now to save my IH 169 from the horrible work life, i should make it a trailer queen like Harry's

I traded my non running basket case 2072 for a nice ccc 782 in the 739,000 serial range.

And it all happend in my driveway so I did not have to go anywhere.

I'll start posting in the ccc section for my 782

Jeff - we all get to retire at some point. Make your 169 happy and give it an early (41 year) retirement.
Who knows, if it cleans up nice maybe my 169 TQ would drop by to tell old work stories.
Shift.gif

Thanks to all who have responded. The governor is set to book specs. I have a Kohler #30 soaking in carb cleaner and a throttle shaft bushing for it on the way. I'll see if the Kohler carb makes a difference.

Ron R, I suppose I just got lucky then. I use my 42" blade that came with my 128 on my 782 all the time. I have no issues with sheet metal interference...

What the difference in a 82 series rod?

Latest posts

Back