• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 09, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack,
While you are checking your point gap, clean the contacts as well. By your original post, it was unclear if the starter was running slow, or the spark was weak. You also mentioned replacing the plug once the storm is over. If it is an issue about getting out to buy a new plug, I would remove the old plug and burn the carbon or oil fouling off with a propane torch if you have one. Also,check also to see if there is ice in your fuel settling bowl, this cold weather takes its toll. I keep my 129 on trickle charge, a 124 gear drive should crank pretty easily if it has a decent battery and your oil isn't too heavy.

Dave R -

Greg, have you put a multimeter on the positive side of the coil to ensure a consistant 12 volts supply?

No I haven't done that yet - will check it after work tonight. I also remembered after my last post that I've ruled out the spark plug by using a small bolt in place of the plug and holding it near a ground. Same results as I had at the plug gap: 1 strong spark, 1 weak spark, then no spark.

I'll just have to spend some more quality time and double/triple check all connections, grounds, wires, etc, along with coil resistance and voltage supply to the coil. It's only a machine, right? How much could I have messed it up?
clappy.gif
bash.gif
banned1.gif

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ok, here is the update. I am getting a spark at the points but the plug is not sparking? I replace the plug and still not getting a spark. Do you think the coil is going bad? BTW - I also cleaned the battery terminals.

Jack:
All signs point (grin) towards a bad coil... Make sure you've got the battery wire connected to the + terminal and the points wire connected to the - terminal. To do a quick test and eliminate the points, unhook the wire to the - terminal and use a jumper wire to just "scratch" to a bare spot on the engine. With the key on, you should get a spark every time you touch (actually "untouch") the bare metal. This duplicates what the points do (ground the primary side of the coil and then "unground" it, which is when you get the spark.. If you're still not getting a spark with this test, it's pretty sure to be a coil problem. Remember that the Cub coil has an internal ballast resistor, so the replacement must be the same type..

some work on my O today. Are the washers needed in under the engine? Thanks Don T
185242.jpg

Don T. Just a distant guess...it looks like the oil pan was in contact with the chassis. Is it possible that the PO saw a gap between the chassis and mounting lugs and didnt want to chance some damage to pan or lugs by wrenching the engine flush ??? JMHO

Don, you should not need the washers, they didn't come that way. Perhaps the PO wanted to tighten the belt and didn't know how to do it any other way.
dunno.gif
lol.gif

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"
I`am sure you are correct on that and the washer won`t be put back.I found tire tape around the front bearing on the drive shaft and only one bolt in the rear flex joint. Well it will get put back togethere again like it was meant to be. Not much left to take off now . Soon sanding time. Later Don T
old.gif

Kraig this came apart a lot faster than it will go back together lol.
185252.jpg

Don, I hear you! I took my Original apart in June of 2004 and it took me until the spring of 2009 to get it all back together.
blush.gif

roflol.gif
Allen, I probably have more assembly instructions than anyone.

Jim L. -

Thanks for the suggestion! Your McGuyvering a steel band as a temporary electric lift brake spring got me up and running, and I was able to push around several thousand pounds of snow. I thank you, and my neighbors thank you.

This was my first real snow removal project, and I was amazed at how well that 147 worked! I was pushing around huge piles and cleared several driveways in no time.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. This group is the greatest.

185257.jpg

Yes, the piles were 4-5" tall.

185258.jpg

Not too shabby for a first try!

185259.jpg

Chip Stewart
I love my 147 and my 149 .They are great looking tractors and the stack on my 149 sounds great. It has a nice bark to it when I pushed a pile of snow.

Kraig ,Allen

Wow 5 years ! I plan to have this back together in 4 weeks and a 104 that we are working on at the same time.I do hope to be able to keep the the time line I have in mind.I think it will all depend on what parts I might need to finish the O. Keven Mailman is working on his 104 at the same time and we set a goal to have both painted and repaired and ready to use.I know I need decals for the deck from the O and will order them now. wish us luck. Later Don T

Chip,

While admiring your work, I noticed something were your blade lift rod meets up with the rockshaft and Elec lift. The white flat steel plate looks like it is not attached to the tractor correctly.

Does it look like this?

185262.jpg

Labled " Lift arm" in image

Jim

Don T,
We need someone to make these stickers:

185266.jpg

That's the way it seems to go, as my signature now states... hurry up and wait...

How does the curtain paint booth work? I had to move mine closer to the ceiling to cut down on overspray wafting over the top and find my tools...
rant.gif

You're right Jim, it is different:

185269.jpg

This was the way the tractor came to me. It seems to work okay, though. And when I bought the blade, the rod went through the hold in the bracket perfectly, so it must not be too unique. Maybe the white bracket is an optional attachment?

Scott Tanner... 149 knucklebuster..

Well we are just doing all the sanding in it now but do plan on it for a paint booth later.I found on my 129 loader that the hlvp gun was great for spraying paint .the over spray just fell to the cardboard and had very little yellow where it was not needed. I hate this part (sanding,glass blasting) . I love to blow on new paint ! 9 to 3 is what I have planned to finish the O and the 104 .

My 149 is bored 30 over and with the stack she does bark out of that stack. Sound cool I think, Not hard to tell when the Governor takes over lol. Later Don T
biggrin.gif

Chip,
From what I can tell that white bracket is the same as the yellow one it is attached to.
The rod should attach to the yellow bracket where the white one is bolted to.

SCOTT T. - No no no no no.....It's "Loud PIPES Save Lives!"

My #72 with the K321 has a straight pipe, exits right above the S/G pulley. Even mowing for 4-5 hours it isn't too bad. 'Course I wear headphones, with the AM/FM/Cassette blaring!

Latest posts

Back