• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 09, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Bryan, what's your point? <font size="-2">(pun intended)</font> That same issue could happen to a gear drive! :eek:)

Kraig -

Hmmm, I wonder how many of our viewers are thinking that my point is at the top of my head?
roflol.gif

Honestly, I was grasping at straws cuz I KNOW the superiority of hydros over gear drives.

<font size="-2">Now slant grilles, well that's another issue...</font>
lol.gif

5 words........

Wide...Frame....removeable....frame....cover

BTW, this flu #$%^ is sure putting a dent in 148 time. I'm on the 4th day of running a fever and feeling like crap.......you'd sure think this bug would be about ready to give up by now......
sad.gif

(Message edited by sblunier on February 09, 2005)

7 Words.....

Quietline...Electric PTO.....Solid State Regulator....Starter.

I am building a vibratory plow as a impliment for my 125 hydro so I can pull in some 3/4 inch sprinkler pipe. Has anyone tried this before? If so any sugestions that could save me time & trouble?

I ran across something kind of unusual the other day. I was mounting a plate on the back of a Cub rear end with studs. I had the measurement exact and drilled the plate, when I tried to install it I found one of the studs wouldn't go through the hole. When I looked closer, one of the studs was crooked, it didn't matter when you use bolts but with the studs sticking out a inch or more makes the difference. I checked several other cub rear ends and they are all straight.

That got me to thinking and since we don't have any factories out here in the west I have no idea how they cast something like the Cub rear end. Maybe someone with knowledge can tell me how it is done. Are the bolt holes in the cast, and then tapped afterwards, or are the holes drilled and tapped after the cast is done? Also on something like a rear end how does the inside get molded and then the mold removed?

Richard-
You just got a nice little lesson on projected tolerances for your Geometric Tolerancing & Dimensioning class
happy.gif
The holes are tapped after casting, the only threaded feature I've seen cast in is on some aluminum hinges on a project at work that have some phosphate steel studs cast in, still a p!ss-poor idea IMHO.

--

For my defense of my favortie Cubs, words aren't needed, pictures do the talking:
25557.jpg

Richard C. -

Apparently you got a tranny made on a Friday afternoon
wink.gif

As you know, I've messed with studs out the back of the tranny case quite a bit - on the 169, 1450 and the 129 I had, ALL of them had at least one hole that was crooked. Once you got a stud hanging out 2" it was quite noticable when you slipped the tiller mount over it.

I know someone else here had reported a bolt that didn't seat flat on the trans cover. Thought it might be DK2, I don't recall.

Wyatt -

Aw, you're still sore that you had Pavlov's Hydro at a Plow Day.

<font size="-2">you know, foaming at the mouth</font>

Random comments:
Gov, I ALWAYS think the point is on the top of your head.
rofl.gif

Kraig, I've never met you, but your remarks regarding gear drives are always admired and appreciated. The gear drive/hydro arguement didn't last very long this time though. Seems there is a lack of PASSSION around here! Or, the hydro guys have finally thrown in the towel
yawn.gif

Steve, Hang in there with the flu. Last time I got a shot, I promptly got the flu, so, I don't ever get a shot any more. BUT, since you were looking for a shot, why not ask Blagoavich (sp?) for one out of the million dollar surplus stock he ordered. (I think you're close to Springfield, right?). You must be hurtin': only five word messages. . . .

Richard C.,

The transmission housing is a sand cast, iron casting. The interior is made by a sand core. The core is made in a special mold and is made of sand that solidifies like a brick. Said core is inserted into the mold that makes the transmission casting. When metal is poured into the mold, it fills the void between the outer sand mold and the core. After metal solidifies, the inner sand core is knocked out, leaving the interior features.

Sand casting doesn't allow the detail necessary to core in holes that will subsequently be tapped. These holes are drilled, then tapped. Things that can result in cocked holes could be due to rework (drill or tap broke in hole requiring repair), or the method of fixturing part during the drill/tap operation.

....more like "own several of each" !!!!!

Thanks Ray, I think I about have it whipped, but it hasn't been a fun road!!!!

Does anyone know where to get the IH sticker that is on the back of the tractor pictured below? I have two decal sets and it was not included in either one?

Thanks
Bob Johnson

Thanks Digger
How deep can it barry 3/4" frexable pipe? I am surrounded by sand, mostly, so the pull shouldn't be that tough. I plan to go at least 16" deep.

Donnie,

3/4" pipe 16" deep......you would probably be money ahead to rent a small walk beside vibratory plow (Vermeer, Ditchwitch, etc.) from the local rent-a-center. 16" deep and pulling a pipe string (BTW, better run at least a 1" mole on the head of the string) is way out of a Cub Cadet's league.

I like using my Cubs for as much as I can, but in this case it makes sense to get the right tool for the job.

(Message edited by sblunier on February 09, 2005)

Latest posts

Back