• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 05, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfisher

displayname
Mike Fisher
I think that's the first time I've been archived.

First line of offense. At least I had the cub closest to the door.

220795.jpg

220796.jpg

Wayne, I know what you mean. The fact you have to take things apart testifies to your innate curiousity. You know what they say, "Curiousity killed the cat." If you hadn't been so curious you would still be happily driving your tractor merrily oblivious to its potential problems.

The other thing they say about curiousity is that "satisfaction brought it back." Here's to hoping you have your 1200 back in shape soon. I'm sure your satisfaction will make the effort worth your while.

Wayne, We're men... It's what we do...

147 project.. Need some help , #7 on the parts list Bracket Assy, Cam Pivot calls for Screw, 3/8-16 X 1-1/2 Hex Hd Cap

Spacer , .406 X .68 X .083

parts list has no pic. for the spacer, where dose the spacer go ? Is there just one ? Thanks JU

I am having some electrical problems with my 129. A couple of weeks ago, my voltage regulator gave out after about 2 hours of snowthrowing with the headlights on. With the job mostly complete, I pushed it to the back of the shed until the weather warmed up a little. When I got a chance to check it out, I was temporarily able to get it working by filing the contacts, and playing with the adjustment screw. I was unable to restore reliable operation due to a worn out adjustment screw that wouldn't stay put. I gave up on it when somehow I managed to shunt battery current through the Gen Terminal shown below to the starter relay shown below. Needless to say I let the magic smoke out of the wiring harness.

220808.jpg

Fast forward a couple of weeks, I receive a new J&N voltage regulator, and rebuilt the rear half of the wiring harness, inspected the remaining wiring, making sure to do a nice neat job, complete with loom and shrink tubing over crimped terminals. Not wanting to undo all of that carefully done work, I tightened down the negative (ground) side of the battery, and made only momentarily contact with the hot side, making sure the ignition was switched off. I was rewarded with a nice fat spark and click from the new regulator. A 2 second connection made the GEN wire warm to the touch, so I am back to square one again. Bad regulator? Incorrect wiring? One difference is that I did connect the terminal on the bottom of the regulator to ground, unlike the old regulator, which was a slightly different design.

Here's something to throw a twist in the on-topic/off-topic discussion...

Today I pulled the fuel-tank out of the 2072 to clean out the usual crap-at-the-bottom syndrome. I think 2072's are 1987-89 vintage, but look at what was printed on the side of the tank.

220811.jpg

So approximately 6-years after <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> shut down, MTD is still pulling "old" parts off the shelf to build tractors. It kind of makes you wonder...
1a_scratchhead.gif

Shift.gif

HEY CHARLIE,
I here that the traffic on I-70 thru COLUMBIA,MO.
is really running smooth since the big snow.
The snow filled all the potholes.LOL
ROD

Richard T. Your repair looks fantastic.
buttrock.gif
I'll need one of Charlie's (Aaron's) creations for the 147s hydro when I get around to it. Someone used a small screw to repair that trunion.

Off to work so everyone ahve a funtastic Cub Cadet Day!!!
220820.gif

ART - I'm not sure how LVL & CCC/MTD handled inventory, BUT I can assure you FARMALL never had even a six week supply of any part let alone six YEARS. CASH FLOW was the most important thing for IH even before the big strike of '79 & '80. Don't spend Money on parts you don't need until you need the parts. JIT all the way!

I had a couple part numbers I carried "Just-in-Case" inventory levels on (I had ONE set of 30.5 X 32 tires & rims for three years that I never used) but most times on my high Dollar volume items my normal inventory level was four to six HOURS of stock in the plant at ALL times, NEVER any more than that. And I didn't have fancy computer or e-mail systems to control releasing of parts from suppliers, but I did have a FAX machine compliments of BFG.

I'm sure that MTD/CCC used IH part numbers on parts for several years until changes were made to MTD/CCC's designs for things like the Cyclops tractors. Once the tooling was made to emboss the IHC part number it would have cost Money to modify the tooling to use an MTD/CCC part number. I'm sure if we could decode the LOT number you'd find that tank was build within a month of when your 2072 was built.

Those plastic fuel tanks took up a LOT of room, plus I think the same tank the 1872/2072 used also fit the smaller tractors and all the red tractors. A Year's supply would have filled up the Houston Astrodome and tied up Millions of borrowed Dollars that IH would have had to pay high interest rates on to borrow in the 1980/'81 time period.

There was a LOT of inventory transfered from IH LVL to MTD/CCC's plant, but not that much.

I remember having a similar discussion with someone over the internet about how another ag/constructon/L&G equip. manufacturer controlled inventory. Guy was a mechanic at a dealership no less, Said he got a set of piston rings that were 50+ yrs old for his 50+ yr old tractor from PDW in Milan. It's a HUGE building, I've been in it, My next-door neighbor was an Inspector there for decades... But I absolutely could NOT convince this guy there was NOT shelves and shelves of antique parts for EVERY machine the company ever made, I didn't care HOW old the box looked!

Charlie,
I swapped the Gen and Field wires on the regulator. Nothing bad happened, so I tried to start it. Got a little grunt, but found the PTO was still partially engaged (turnbuckle came loose), and after fiddling around with the connections on the generator, I got it to start. I noticed the ammeter was reading halfway over to Discharge, but my voltmeter across the battery said 13.3-13.5 volts. Still trying to figure that one out. I will check the schematic again, perhaps the ammeter is wired wrong, though I didn't disturb that part of the wiring.

Howard,
I am a Ravens fan still suffering from PTSD. Go Packers!!

Will B...
Early bird gets the worm! I'm happy someone on here atleast got it. I just can't believe the one day (or actually 2 days for us) the power has been out in the last 3 years and a loader pops up on the local craigslist! I have bought all 3 of my cubs, plus all my implements... tiller, thrower, plows, cart, off craigslist.

Mike F.
Nice looking 149! Wish my 129 was as nice... still got to get me some headlights!

The other day I had a chance to do some cleaning on the latest 129. It's hard to believe how much these machines will take. You know this pump didn't run its coolest.

220827.jpg

Then I find the fins were painted on the pump and missing on the driveshaft fan. Surprizingly, the trunion springs and all looks pretty good...like it had been addressed in the past few years of its running life.

220828.jpg

I still have to pull the engine.....grenade gears. There was about 1/4" of black showing on the tip of the dipstick so I imagine these gears to be in top shape (or rather the needle bearings).

The ammeter was indeed wired backwards, I probably did it when I changed out the headlight switch. For a few minutes everything was fine, then it stopped charging again. I pulled the generator off and popped the cap.

220831.jpg

Yep, its all burned up. I have a spare which I pulled from the old 102 before I sent it to the scrapyard but the bearing closest to the pulley is a bit noisy, but it was functional the last time I ran it. I pulled it apart and the armature looks okay, so I will do some mixing and matching to make a reliable unit.
bash.gif

Wayne,
All hydro pumps look like that after a year of so of use. BTW, can you tell if the hydraulics are original?

Bruce-

As far as I can tell they look exactly like the 149 I have. I have no reason to believe they were added but who knows. I'm curious as to how many leaks I have here. I'm going to get her running and take it from there. I'd like to find out if there are records on the number of 129s with hydraulics. Were they produced at random or from customer orders or there was a temp shortage of lift arms or what....? I posted something about this recently but got no response. Dennis? you got any ideas?

Wayne, the last 129 I got has a ported hydro but no hydraulics. No reason to think it didn't come that way from the factory. I've heard that some 169 were shipped without hydraulics due to IH running out of ported hydros. So I came to the conclusion that I have no idea.
happy.gif

WAYNE - I could make a S.W.A.G. at a reason. I have no idea if there were any production records kept of 129's with hydraulics. Paul Bell may have access to LVL records like that.

My personal opinion would be that IH LVL did not keep track of that type of info. Hyd's on a 129 could be either factory or dealer installed. Also a chance a kit may have been made available to customers as well. I don't think hyd. was part of the serial number so no way to track actual production on 129's since the exact same rearend, hydro, plumbing, & valves were used on 149's & 169's. It was an option that should appear on factory price lists, and the kit appear possibly on "finished goods" or "Attachments" price lists.

From having spent time @ IH ag dealers in the 1960's & early 1970's chasing parts mostly, Dealers only kept a couple new CC's on the sales floor, 129's were REALLY popular, the hydro had proven their durability and productivity in almost ALL uses, a 12 HP hydro could run anything, but to be competitive price-wise with the little green tractors, red, orange, and other colors, I suspect most CC's were ordered by the dealers with minimal options to hold down the price. Compared to combines, tractors from 60 to 125 HP, big tillage equipment, a CC was a small purchase or sale for most dealers. Most customers bought what the dealer had available when they needed something. And most customers (predominantly farmers) bought CC's for mowing. Urban & suburban customers would get snow blades or blowers but all farmers had bigger equipment for snow removal.

Most dealers in the midwest relied on big equipment sales and service work for profit. The L&G equipment was a very small percentage of their business. As the model mix became broader in the 80's & 90's most dealers would keep an SGT and 3-5 smaller CC's on the floor. My one local dealer even has a separate show room for his L&G stuff and ATV sales.

Funny but true story, Good friend of my Dad had a pair of BIG green mowing tractors, one with power steering, the other without P/S. Guy's Wife compained one day that she NEVER got to run the tractor with P/S. Guy shut his tractor off, got in his pickup and left. Hour later he returns, ten minutes later the dealer's truck pulls in the yard with the newer model green mower WITH power steering. The dealers trailer was empty when it left the yard. Most mower buying decisions weren't made THAT quickly, but it happened!

Thanks Dennis-

Maybe Paul will have something and chime in later. I figure the hydraulics were mostly dealer done upon customer request. It's hard to understand with the 149 being available. Maybe the cost diff was justified or something.

Dave-

I've had that same conclusion for some time now about a lot of things.

Thanks again!

The drivetrain looks pretty good at least, and looking at a piece of the rear tire, it doesn't look too badly worn either. Perhaps you lucked out and actually got something that hasn't been beaten to death of seriously monkey rigged.

Back