• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 05, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WAYNE - Think it was KRAIG who posted the price lists for the different models a couple months ago. I seem to remember you could buy almost TWO #86's for the price of a 169.

For a LOT of people that difference in cost made a LOT of difference in the buying decision. For the most part TIME to mow grass was plentiful in summer. Critical times were spring & fall when mowing wasn't necessary, with random periods where things like combining oats, or baling hay HAD to be done to beat the weather. Mowing the yard could wait. So all of Dad's CC's were 7 then finally 10 HP GD's. It seemed like we mowed a WHOLE lot, but actually it was little patches scattered over about 1-1/2 acres. Think I mowed maybe 2/10ths of a mile of road bank weekly. If I mowed Everything I'd have to add gas to the 5 quart tank on the 70 to finish.

Hydraulics on a lawn mower were probably laughed about at first. But with the bigger mowers & attachments like on SGT's they make sense. There were several situations where the ability to run aux. remotes would have been great if there had been more PSI & GPM. I'd have to check some of my books but I think it was in the 1950's when hydraulic systems became "standard" on FARMALL tractors. Most dealers had a "standard LIST of Options" they got on every tractor they ordered which helped reduce variation on service & repair parts. Most tractors were ordered for Stock, very few were special ordered, but that did and still does happen. I've actually read in many farm magazines that the big ag companies are considering going to ALL special orders, finished inventory is way too expensive for dealers to sit on anymore.

I bought a ported pump for my 147. I got the pump on yesterday. I plan on putting the hydraulic controls about in the middle of the tunnel. The problem is, I can't find the correct fittings that go into the pump to run some stub lines until i get the control valve. Can someone tell me what size to get and maybe where to get them? I thought about buying the hard lines from a 129 or 149 off someone and making it work. TIA

Picked up a 129 this weekend with my grandpa. Really good shape, has hydraulic lift and lights. Was this a rare option on the 129?

old.gif

Charlie,
Looks like you been outside makin' snow angels to long. I think you need a little more sun, yer startin' to look pale.
ROD
220840.jpg

Wayne,
To my knowledge there are no records that would tell what options were installed on any given model Cub Cadet. As Denny said, some options may have been ordered by the dealer, but most were probably dealer installed or bought across the parts counter for owner installation.

ok, got the 125 home, it does not want to start. spent half the day looking for the needle out of the carb that i dropped. drained gas, new plug. finally realized it could be the points. frustrating but enjoyable at same time

Rod S.
I spent 6 hours today making big piles out of little ones. Just in case we get more later this month or next or in April, LOL

<font size="+1"> cub cadet 147 project still underway , but now I am headed back the other way.
Lots left to do but it,s good to see it going back together..

Thanks jeff
220845.jpg

220846.jpg

Got brakes back on to.....</font>

G'morning All. Just a quick "Howdy" and reporting that IH built Cub Cadet model 782 Serial number 679237 with front blade, chains, IH hubcaps, and mower deck will be arriving to its new home (here) when I pick up the Dakota sometime this week. I went to look at it yesterday and when I went to leave the Dakota's starter decided to quit working. Good news is that the gentleman that I am getting the 782 from has a shop and will install a new starter for me. Pat Zeroth gave me a ride home. Angel is going to load the pics up sometime today so I should be posting them this afternoon.
220851.gif

Looking good Jeff. Clean the paint out of the breather hole on top of the differential.

MARLIN - You must really like those RED CC's. I sure like mine! Congrat's on the new 782.. Sorry about the Dakota's starter but I guess you were lucky it happened where it did!

Looking forward to the pic's!

I don't know the internal workings of a hydrostat, but it seems to me that from a manufacturing perspective, it would have been less expensive to manufacture all hydros with ports, then just cap them off if a customer didn't want hydraulics. Am I wrong?

I found a 149 in my area for $950. New paint, 48" deck, looks good but don't know about the engine. Whatta think?

Jason,
I seem to remember using these.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7510&catname=hydraulic. I ordered some 3/8 tubing from mcmaster to run to the valve. You have to make a hard bend right out of the fitting to clear the driveshaft coupler. I ran mine to the back and then came up under the fender/seat to the valve that I mounted on the tunnel behind the dash. As there is not much room to work, I cut the tunnel and made a cover for the tunnel. The valve mounts to the cover. It doesn't look the best, but made things alot easier. Surplus center should have any fittings you need. Bailey.net is also a good source. Hope it helps.
Mike

NORM B - While the raw material used to make the hydro with and without ports would be the same, back in the 1960's machining technology was not near as advanced as it is today, or even 20 yrs ago and to bore, then probably ream those bores then tap the threads would have added a considerable amount to the machining cycle time. Plus you would have to chase ALL the loose chips from the machining out of the whole part. You have to remember Sundstrand made those parts for many other customers that possibly would never use those ports so making parts with and without ports was required.

On the old tape controlled machines the setup to run without ports then convert to ports took a bit of time, I'd guess 20-30 minutes or more, plus added assembly time, material, and cost. Plus it would be an added place for a leak. With today's CNC machines the change from one style to the other with the tools already in the tool magazine only takes a few seconds.

I also suspect to begin with Sundstrand never figured that lawn mowers or the light industrial equipment the 15U's were used in would ever need aux. hydraulics. The ported hydros didn't come about until several years after hydros were common.

As Marlin has said many times, the hyd. power they provide is very useful, but of limited PSI and GPM. For uses like loaders, or to run hydraulic motors, a dedicated PTO powered pump with dedicated reservoir makes much more sense.

Back