• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 23, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merry Christmas to all. I hope that Santa Cub brings all of us what we asked for.

Jeff, in cold weather you want to make sure you're using fast evaporating reducer. Only thin the paint down to where your gun will spray evenly. Most of the time the hardener will thin the paint enough for my gun to spray it. Not only is having the work area warm enough important, the parts to be painted need to be warm too. The farm/fleet store paint is most likely either Van Sickle or Iowa Paint. The Van Sickle is probably the better of the two. Funny thing is if you buy a Bush Hog brand machine or a Woods brand mower, they have Iowa Paint on them from the factory. The quality issues with them aren't so much in application but in the weatherability. As long as you keep your tractor covered, it will look good for a long time. If its exposed to sunlight the paint will fade and oxidize quickly.

Jeff other reasons could also be to much air pressure , getting to close to the surface , not making a good even flowing motion with your gun , not moving fast enough , to much paint volume , or worst of all just a cheap a$$ gun since you never gave any insight to any of the above it's hard for anyone to tell you the exact reason but everything we've mentioned will cause problems.

24389.gif

<font color="ff0000"><font size="+2">Merry Christmas to all</font></font>

Happy Holidays to everyone,
I think it's time for us to head back to southern Minnesota, this is a bunch of crap!
24391.jpg

Hey Charlie, "I feel your pain". Its a balmy +24 this am down here in Decatur co. Ia. Merry Christmas.

the parts are warm, it's 80 degrees in the shop, i am useing cub cadet paint, with a hardner, and the gun is a gravity flow. the pressure gauge reads,15-20psi, as far as i can tell, the glass is really fogged over,tried to clean it with thinner an it melted the glass. thanks for all your help guys

Talk about gaining weight over the Christmas holidays, here's an old standby that I've posted before. Not the prettiest but quite effective and easy to take off and on (takes all of 30 seconds). Only thing that holds it in place is the hitch pin. Adds an honest 100 pounds and, being cantilevered off the back, takes some of the downforce off the front wheels, making for easier steering when the snowthrower is mounted.

Forgot to check my image sizes. Will do a little editing and try to post plans and pic.

(Message edited by dkirk on December 25, 2004)

I forgot to mention (but is probably quite obvious) that the bucket is filled with cement. Bucket is set upright, cement poured in, frame then lowered in and supported while cement dries. The loop in the top (bottom of bucket) is for a 1" bar to be slipped through making a hand-hold to lift the assembly by.

Oh man. This is bad. Considering my luck, very bad.

Lets start with good news: I got fuel and I got spark going to the engine and apparently they are doing something...the engine was going without the S/G pulling it.

When first starting up I noticed *something* coming out the exsaust. A few seconds later I increased the throttle and got some black soot and let off the starter and let the engine do its thing. It stuttered and died a few seconds later. I let it sit for a bit, opened up the garage door (I didn't expect for it to actually work) and tried again. This time the engine stuttered along by itself for 7 seconds. More waiting, third time a charm right?

This time it stutters along for about 12 seconds, and was about to get it when....I can't explain the sound it made, but it was horrible. It sounded like....dumping a few metal filing cabinets out of a office window. I immediatly turned the engine off, though I think it would have stopped by itself.

I went around the front to check stuff out, opened the hood and the first thing I noticed was oil. Oil, leaking out of the muffler inlet. Oh no.

I'm a pessimist, so I'll assume something time consuming and exspensive is broken.

I wonder if anyone is even around on Christmas?

{Add in: I smelled the oil and I don't think it smells like gas down there, its hard to differentiate from the smells around me.

Also, I am now using an AutoLite plug. The points are set up at .2 as well.}

(Message edited by zfriedman on December 25, 2004)

Kim and I got 2 unexpected Xmas presents today,please see Comings and Goings....
wink.gif

Zach,
Take out the spark plug. Does the plug look ok? Is it smashed? If the plug looks ok then put your thumb in the hole and try to spin the motor over by hand you will need to spin it over about three times. Does it try to suck your thumb in? If not oh
censored.gif
. If so your motor should till be good. You might just have a loose guard or something hitting the shroud or PTO.

Keep us up to date.

Zach,
I just re-read your post. Your points are suppose to be set to .02.

Whoops, I meant .02.

Plug looks good and I got suction.

Sounds like something is hitting in the blower...but why would it come loose now when the engine was barely going faster than it would with the generator?

And why the oil?

(I'm not questioning your judgement, not at all, I'm just trying to get a grasp on whats going on.)

I'm off to look through the manuals.

Zach, if your place is like mine, the F
censored.gif
mice get into everything. They especially like flywheel housings since the cats can't get them there. If your tractor has set for a long time before you started tinkering mud daubbers could have filled the flywheel housing with their dirt nests. I recently bought an old B-700 Clinton engine that had so many of those dirt nests in it that it sounded like someone had dropped a handfull of nuts and bolts in with the flywheel. Its sounding a little like you may have flooded your engine. The excess gas coming out may have mixed with the carbon in the exhaust leaving an oily residue. I'd pull the flywheel housing off and clean out the mouse junk and try again.

Charlie:
I'm no mathematician but,the last time I checked, .02 = .020.
Keith

Zach - pull the shroud off instead of guessing ! Mice are good for putting things in there. Somebody could have dropped a nut or bolt in there or it might even have flywheel fins broke knocking around. I know of 2 boys getting mad one time and pulling the head off a twin Onan and putting a rag in the cylinder and putting it back together!
You should have ALREADY had the garage door open , messing around with an unknown engine , where ya gonna run when it backfires and goes up in flames ?
Oil past the valves would be either badly broke rings or a holy piston or no vent and bad guides letting the oil past. Sounds like to need to pull the head and look around while the shroud is off , probably needs the carbon cleaned off anyway.
You know that when you buy something and expect to use it within 24 hours ... nothing ever goes right
sad.gif

Back