• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 23, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian you been there too huh ? I started up a mower for the first years work and if a friend from MI hadn't came by and caused me to stop I'd have burnt the engine up. It was full of mice nest ...ie insulation , man it smelled like the paint was burning off the engine ! Now I check !!
You typed faster than I did ;)

Todd M-Well done!!! Brings back memories of building Mini 560.
24403.jpg

24402.jpg

My next one is to be a 1066. Still on the drawing board. Love that front grille. JP

Keith: To you bean-counters, .02 is the same as .020, but to engineers, there's a BIG difference, and they'll discriminate that it's supposed to be 0.020". They get really picky about them significant zeros. Rounding off money doesn't cost much. Rounding off a gear does. :-}

Speaking of which, Santa brought me a copy of Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy by Moore... the same guy who's father and grandfather developed the Moore #1, #2, and #3 Jig-Borer...

Lookin' forward to getting back home, so I can make the final control-modifications to my rotary converter and power up the Bridgeport and Monarch for the first time. Hopefully I won't hear Zak's bangin' and clangin' when they wake up from their naps.

Zak- Don't worry about the black crud coming out unless it's still coming out after running for about 2 hours... there's probably as much gassy-crud in there as anything else. Remember what I posted about gas showin' up in the crankcase of engines that get stuck float-bowls? And like Kenny suggested- it's always wise to leave a rapid path-of-egress when lighting an unpredictable 'fire'.

Dave:
Bean counter or not, .02=.020=.0200=.02000. You can "engineer" that dimension all you want. If it was rounded to .02 from some number greater or smaller, that was a decision, not mathematics. Big difference there. .02", as it stands alone, doesn't equal anything but that number. Period.
Yikes.

Well, I got the carb rebuilt on the 100, changed oil, adjusted the points and new plug. Fired right up. Have a leak while running, where the brass cap that holds the gas line into the carb. Comes out atop the cap. Also cannot get to idle down. Float to hi? Need a couple suggestions.
swear.gif

Geez Keith,
Santa leave ya some coal in your stocking or what!
My point was to let him know WHAT THE BOOK SAID!
Nothing else, since he's a newbee. No need to get yer panties in a wad.

I decided I best take out the whole engine. Now thats its out I cleaned the frame, etc. Of course, I can't get the damn blower shroud off. It seems like the guy who had the tractor before me had the same problem, he sawed the top of the shroud so he could pull it open and look inside.
shame.gif

Since the cuts there I pulled it back and looked in...
shame.gif
the fins are all there and intact, and it seems pretty clean, minimal rust.

I think I just need a bigger socket to pop her open.

Well I got tonight and then I'm in NYC for two days for a meet. Considering the average school budget, I'll likely be staying in a whorehouse off the Jersey TP.

Once my batteries charge I'll post a few pics.

Oh, and as for .02 v. .020 they are mathematically equivelant, but measurements with a feeler gauge are generally taken to the thousanths (.000) place.

If I were to go and build something with specific tolerances, then I would specify how tight those tolerances should be with the number of zeroes.

For common talk, y'all know what I mean...except when I completly mess the messurement up and thats the differences between 20% of and inch and 2% of an inch.

Zak-

Your school must have a much different attitude toward student activities and a helluva lot more dough in their budget than any school I ever attended ! !

Will you be able to talk them into a field trip to Nevada to visit one of the working "ranches" ? ! ? !

Lyle,
Make sure your governor is adjusted properly. Loosen the 7/16 nut on the governor bolt, pull the throttle to full(left) and while holding it there rotate the governor shaft all the way to the left. With the shaft and lever held in these positions, tighten the governor bolt and nut. It should allow the throttle butterfly to fully close so that you can use the idle speed set screw to adjust the idle. This assumes the governor spring is ok and that you adjust the throttle cable so that it has zero pressure on the governor spring when the throttle lever is at the min. position allowing the throttle linkage to rest against the idle stop screw. Hope this helps. Kenny

Question about tire chains

I see in David's picture of his Cub with the weight bucket, he has rubber straps on his tires chains.

Why should they be used? I have chains on my 125 without rubber straps and they work fine. I don't want to chew up anything.

Thanks
wave.gif
Jeff

Zach, didn't see any varmints with the cover pulled back? I wish it were that simple here. If the mice don't get into things the f
censored.gif
possums seem to. I've had to blast 3 of those damn things in as many days. I'm going to have to remember to take the gun with me every time I go out to the shop. Good thing the .22 limits the collateral damage. One shotgun hole in the wall and the mess was bad enough. What is still holding the cover on? I can't think of anything very big that should be holding you up.

I see now. I was thinking the grass screen was under the cover.

Zach it looks like the PTO button is wore bad ... oh you say you didn't want to hear that ... ok forget I said it ;)
Why can't the shroud be taken off , did it have all the required shrouds ? One over the head and the ones that go around the cylinder fins ?

Jeff, the straps keep the chains tight. All it takes is one time for the chains going around to grab the fender. When I put chains on I take the wheel off, let all of the air out of the tire, put the chains on as tight as I can get them, and refill the tire. I have never had them loosen uo doing it this way.

Thanks Brian
beerchug.gif

My chains are fairly tight, but I'll add the straps just to be sure.

wave.gif
Jeff

Great day in the Garage...
thumbsup.gif

For Christmas my lovely wife got me a new tool box!!
Craftsman top and bottom with roller bearings..
Went to Harbor Freight and re-placed all of the tools I lost or broke by throwing them in anger..
Started dis-assembling the 16 h.p. out of the 169
And even put all the small parts in zip-lock bags and properly labeling them...
{who says you can't teach a dumb dog new tricks}
Gonna have pics tommorrow I hope...
Hope to have the whole tractor dis-assembled and most of the parts at the sand blasters by this time next week....
IS IT PLOW DAY YET ????

Man were my wife and kids good to me this Christmas!!!!! My kids got me a new 1/4" drive cordless impact wrench....this thing is cool...70 ftlb torque in a handy little cordless package.....it just screams "Take apart a Cub with me".

My wife did one better and surprised me with one of Mike M's lighted Cub Cadet wall clocks.....VERY COOL!!!!! Thanks to Mike M. and Chris E. for the logistics behind that deal!!!

Hope to spend some time getting started on the 148 this week. There is a 102 with an internal brake/19T 2nd tranny that is begging to be tore down with the new impact to donate it's parts to the cause,a fresh 14hp in the shed, a MWSC clutch in a box in the garage, and a 128 that wants to "be all it can be" out in the shed........might be a fun winter!!!!!

(Message edited by sblunier on December 26, 2004)

Latest posts

Back