• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 22, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kirk-
Thanks for sharing your befor & after pics
that looks like fun on both days Don

Merry Christmas and here's hoping for a healthy and prosperous New Year to all on the forum. Many thanks to the members that have provided guidance to me on the 109 rebuild. It never would have happened without your help!!!
beerchug.gif

John

Paul-P thats a good question. i would think it would be better to have more weight on the wheels then the back.if it adds more stress i think the wheels or tires can take more.i do know that people have broke axles & housings but i don't know why. they seem to hold up to pullers?.rears can take a lot. i would what less stress on the axles or bearings. just my .02cts

Hey all, quick update time.

Apparently I'm not looking in the right place for battery chargers, they all cost at least 30 where I am. The charger I do have isn't huge, its just this little rusty metal box. I'll look into a light-timer.

But for now, I got my battery exchanged, for free under warranty. While installing I looked for sparks, and none were seen. I went around to turn the key, expecting a click from the solenoid.

Stuck the key in the iggy, turned, and (suspense) the solenoid clicked and the S/G spinned into action. With the old battery (when new) it turned nowhere near that fast. But, no ignition. I don't have a wire feeler gauge (embarrassing?), just a 'standard' feeler gauge, but it looks like the gap on the plug is good. Points also look good.

I'm going back in the archives to check whats wrong.

I thought you guys might like to see before and after pics of my "black stripe" 149. I would post more but I have a heck of a time getting them under 50k with the software I have.
24333.jpg

24334.jpg

Zach,
When you say ignition do you mean it just didn't start? If so its either fuel or lack of spark. Try starting the engine while the choke is fully on. If it fires then push it in. And try starting it again. If it doesn't fire then pull the plug. If the plug is wet then it may be the lack of spark. What I do is hold the wire 1/16" from a head bolt and spin the engine over again. You should see a spark. I say thats what I do because that method can be dangerous due to the gas tank being mounted to the head. If the plug is dry then you have a fuel problem. Pull the bowl off the carb and verify fuel and make sure there isn't any gunk in there.

Todd,
I love what you did with that 149!!
drool.gif

The striping is really nice. Is that painted on or did you have decals made??

Tedd,
It is all painted on. I had stencils made to do the lettering because I couldn't get decal material the right color of white.

Hey,
I would like to fill the gas tank without opening the hood. Has anyone done or seen anything on this subject? Maybe modifications to the hood or something.

Todd, I'm really impressed with your 149! Wow What a difference!
thumbsup.gif

And Kirk, Wow! UI didn't know you got that muchsnow down there! We didn't get much more than a dusting!

Terry you could move the tank to the rear and install a fuel pump!
happy.gif

Zac glad the battery got the tractor turning over. so now you know you can have voltage but no amps. hope you can get it going if not people here can help.

I choked it before, thats not it.

After I tried to start it last time I forgot to close the fuel shut-off valve. I came back to the garage to check stuff out and found a nice puddle on the garage floor.

Yeah yeah, the float needle gets stuck after a few years, I know. Either someone told me or I read that I should just let it drip for a while to soften the gaskets up, it should stop. So I moved it outside (a pleasant 50 degrees), put a little fuel in the tank, put down a scrap of cardboard down with a little pan to collect drips, and let it drip. It escalated to either a very fast drip or slow pour, but I left it for 15 minutes or so.

No dice, didn't want to stop. (15 minutes is enough, right?)

Since I decided I didn't want to light myself on fire I didn't check the spark. It was dry, by the way.

I'll spend Friday cleaning out the carb with Acetone. Do I have to disassemble the whole thing, or can I just pour alcohol through?

Zac- you need to know if you got 12volts to the + side of the coil. if you do you should check with a test light on the neg - side of the coil then when you crank the motor you test light will flash every time the point open and close.

Todd M: That 149 looks great! How did you get the front hyd outlets, is that the stock valve from the 149? or did you modify? also is that a 169 air cleaner? I would like front hyd on my 149 how do I do it?

Thanks Paul

Zac as far as your carb some times you can get lucky remove it to clean and reinstall with out any problems. then later you can get a carb kit and do it right. clean it good with carb cleaner you can buy carb cleaner from auto parts they sell vats for about 12 bucks that will clean it out but you will have to put a kit in it after.

Todd - looks pretty kool , what nose piece did you use on "Black Stripe" ?

Todd,

VERY VERY NICE WORK!!!!! The "black stripe" theme is carried out to perfection...a unique and excellent looking machine.

Beautiful Job on the Black stripe!
I am running a series 1 782. Would you guys Know the best way to set the Rpm. I have a tach/dwell meter with a switch for 4 or 8 cylinders but it doesn't seem to be as easy as dividing by 2.
Is there a cheap way around a buying a $100. meter?
Thanks John

Latest posts

Back