• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 20, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T.Busch yes solid concrete,about 130-150#.
The reason for the 2x--there is a 1/2" bolt cast in the weight for lifting it off the tractor with my come along. For safety reasons I bolt the wood on. I don't have any pictures with the weight off, matter a fact these are my first pictures with my new digital camera.

Kraig, it is clean now but you should of saw it after sanding,painting etc. oh did I mention all the hytran that sprayed all over from a burst cylinder hose. It is amazing what a litte cleaning will do.

Hey guys!

We finally recieved 7 inches of snow yesterday. Unfortanly the 782 was still in my friends shop and I had to use my old gilson s-10 to do the driveway. I did get out to his place tonight I welded up a rear weight bracket and had some time so I went out to play in his driveway for my first cub/thrower experiance. Well, I have to say I'm not to impressed. I thought that with a twin cylinder 17 HP tractor I should be able to throw the snow at least 15 feet. Well it didn't It ate more snow than my Gilson but couldn't throw it as far as the Gilson. It did bitch a little in the snow drifts. I checked the belt and it still seemed tight. How far can you guys throw snow with your QA42A throwers?

Jim

Jim S. -

I think we should all wait for SB to post his on-the-mark snowthrower instructions. Maybe you remember him posting them last winter. Or the winter before that
wink.gif

That said, I can get a good 25' at least, depending on the kind of snow we're talking about.

Paul B.

I hate rattles too, this is what I did to create a cushioned mounting.
Make a washer from 1/4" thick silicon rubber(hole saw)--- also keeps bolt with side panel when off.
24276.jpg

Bryan don't get his hopes up , you know you can't beat a Gilson - he needs to just get rid of the 782 ;)

I was thinking of Steve's pic , looked like he was putting the snow in his neighbors yard ... 2 doors down!
happy.gif

Jim S. -

I think we should all wait for SB to post his on-the-mark snowthrower instructions. Maybe you remember him posting them last winter. Or the winter before that

That said, I can get a good 25' at least, depending on the kind of snow we're talking about.

Well Bryan, I hope I hear from him. I wasn't on this list last year....but I guess I should have been.
clappy.gif

I think my Gilson is a 72 model but I can't find any info on the internet let alone any pics! But its been a pretty good tractor for me!

Paul D.-Thanks for the tip. I will make some of those washers as soon as I get some side panels.

Merry christmas to all on the board as I will probably not post till next week.

I took this Sunday. Am I cheesy enough? It was about 70 degrees. My grass is just starting to stop growing. The wife mowed Friday. Paul
24288.gif

Finailly got caught up on the snow removal spent 3 1/2 hours out on the 582 modified with the 42" blade last night after work just to come home tonight to find that the city plowed the streets so I had an additional 1.5 hrs on the seat. Gotta love it. The only thing that I can say about the 582 Mod with the blade on it this winter is that the Briggs & Scrappum 16 horse seems too have less "poop" than the 16 horse Kohler in my 1650 so I might just put the blade back on the 1650 for winter duty or work the snot out of the Briggs and wait for it to die so that I can do a repower on it.

Paul "B2",
Cheesy, around here?? You ain't seen nuttin'!

Jim "S",
Somthing is wrong. That 782 should be called a snow launcher! I used to get 25' with my 1250 when I had it.

(Message edited by thoffman on December 21, 2004)

Had an all-too frequent problem with my 169 that seems to happen to old Kohlers; runs like a top for 5 minutes then over 20 seconds begins to sputter and die, refuses to restart until sitting for 10 minutes, then the cycle restarts.

Problem: reset the float in the carb. Turned out mine sat off-level by about 1/8".

Now for the next challenge: that outside, Type-F testing, cold weather, zapped my (4-year old?) F&F 425CA/330CCA battery. Highest I could find locally was a 280CCA battery.

ALSO-
Had a chance to work on a v-twin 20hp Honda on a 13kW generator, NICE engine. Still thinking my next project will be a 782 with a 20-25hp Honda repower, this put that "might be" closer and closer to a "will happen" for projects I'd like to do.

I didn't save last year's thrower instructions.....guess I'll have to shoot from the hip and re-type.....

1) Single stage throwers will not throw snow as far as 2 stage models...fact of life. But they will throw LOTS of snow Fast.

2) Single stage throwers require propper set-up for correct operation. Chute should be free of rust, rotor should be straight and reasonably dent free, belt tight, chain tight, greased, gear box lubed...etc. Slip-Plate, Pam, Silicone spray applied to the auger/chute can be very helpfull.

3) Single stage throwers require full tractor RPM. If it isn't turning 3600......adjust the governor. Thsi is not a "part throttle" application, WOT!!!!!

4) Single stage throwers must be FED. The technique and rate at which you feed a thrower are directly proportional to it's throwing performance. YOU MUST KEEP THEM FULL!!!! If the governor isn't wide open and the engine isn't pulled down to a nice healthy "barkin'" load, then you need to feed the thrower more!!!! Don't be abusive, but take all of the Kohler power you have available out for a spin!!!!! Hydros are the cat's a$$ on a thrower because you can feed it right up to the full/overfull line...and then keep it there...that's where it will do it's best work!!! With a gear drive you may have to shift up a gear and take partial bites to keep it full without slipping the clutch........either way Keep It FULL.

5) Different snow conditions are much more noticeable with a single stage. Heavy wet snow will not throw as well as medium dry snow, and super dry snow can be almost as bad as wet stuff as-well. Any well tuned and operated thrower should be able to move snow at least 10-15' in average conditions......+5' in very wet conditions...., and wherever the freakin' wind blows the stuff in powder conditions
happy.gif
Let's be realistic here folks, if you can average 10' of throw with a single stage you can clean any residential drive out there without any trouble all winter long......throwing it 2 doors down is nice (2 stage), but it comes with a price...speed and weight/manuverability.

In short, tune up your machine, wind up the tractor, and stuff the snow into it as fast as you can......burn some gas, get into the governor, Make your Kohler BARK like it was meant to!!!!!! (BTW, nothing sounds better on a cold winter morning than a Kohler pulling a steady load barking it's brains out
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
)

<font size="-2">(Did I mention you have to keep them full and well fed???)</font>

(Message edited by sblunier on December 21, 2004)

Thanks for the tips on the carb and S/G. I think I have the carb problem about solved. will know more on it in the am. Now for the S/G. First, my battery was just about fried. (5 years old 230 CCA sears) I Replaced it with a new 325 CCA from Battery Mart. Biggist in my area today. I installed and went to crank it up. It just turned the engin over. Took the belt off and the S/G ran, but not fast and it did not seem like it had enough in it to turn it over. Tested the S/G as has been posted here. I got good test results all around including the charge. There wa no noticable change wth voltage that would make me pause with concern. Could an engine rebuild just be that tight on the second start?

Todd I had the same issues where my new battery would barely turn my new engine over but the starter was fine.

I re-did the end on my battery cable and WOW what a difference. Also recheck your ground wire.

Todd G. >
One way to tell of your engine is to tight is to take out the plug and turn it over by hand. It should turn over freely, if not you got some internal problems.

Lonny- when the plug is pulled, it turns easily by hand and by the starter. Put the plug back in, and it is a no go. Engine is good. I had it running on right of the bat, I let it warm up and retorqed the head. since then....it is tighter than a virgin.

Jason, I plan on going over all the connection in the morning. thanks for reminding me of that. I forgot to put that on my list of things to do to it. Of course that is after the last minute christmas shopping with the wife, going to my kids schools and the wrestling teams christmas party after school. Good thing they all get out early tomorrow!

Todd >
Sounds to me like you are going to have to take a close look at your starter.
Could be that the pully has come loose, now I aint sure what all holds a started together, I aint never had one apart.
Another thing is to make sure you got a good cca battery, a 450 cca is what I use on my k301 otherwise it wont turn over very fast and makes for hard startings.

(Message edited by lbuttke on December 21, 2004)

Latest posts

Back