• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Original Cub Cadet High Altitude Carburetor

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wotis

displayname
Whitney Otis
Hi
I have an original Cub Cadet with a K181T replacement engine (8 HP). I live at 6800' altitude and my cub runs great but smells rich and is often hard starting when engine is fully warmed up. If attempting to start at hot engine, if it doesn't start right away, I have to keep grinding away on the starter and when it finally fires up it emits a lot of black smoke. Trying to lean out the carburetor adjusting screws doesn't seem to make a difference. It seems that I read somewhere that a high altitude carburetor is available and just wondered if anyone has had this problem and been able to locate a carb that is set up for high altitude.
Thanks
Whit

PS I goofed and originally posted this on the Tech Support Forum..... Sorry!

Hi
I have an original Cub Cadet with a K181T replacement engine (8 HP). I live at 6800' altitude and my cub runs great but smells rich and is often hard starting when engine is fully warmed up. If attempting to start at hot engine, if it doesn't start right away, I have to keep grinding away on the starter and when it finally fires up it emits a lot of black smoke. Trying to lean out the carburetor adjusting screws doesn't seem to make a difference. It seems that I read somewhere that a high altitude carburetor is available and just wondered if anyone has had this problem and been able to locate a carb that is set up for high altitude.
Thanks
Whit

PS I goofed and originally posted this on the Tech Support Forum..... Sorry!
I know they make kits for the newer engines, but can't say as I ever heard of a kit for the old Carter or Walbro carbs. I know years ago we had a guy that had the same problem and it was a matter of adjusting the carb and the float. Timing is another factor.

I know they make kits for the newer engines, but can't say as I ever heard of a kit for the old Carter or Walbro carbs. I know years ago we had a guy that had the same problem and it was a matter of adjusting the carb and the float. Timing is another factor.
I found a note in the Kohler manual that says, "NOTE: * Engines operating at altitudes above approximately 1830 m (6000 ft.) may require a special “high altitude” main jet. "

But I have no idea what or where to get it, Hopefully someone will remember and chime in on this deal.

Just a thought, I'd try lowering the float level (not drastically), as that does affect the fuel/air mixture (the lower the level, the required suction to pull fuel into the venturi is greater). If it's an older carb with a high speed adjustment, turn it in a little to lean it up.

The high attitude carb, is a service kit offered by Kohler, its not a carburetor. Unless there is a part number that superceeds the old carburetor for a H-Altitude .

The K181 came with ether a fully adjustable carburetor or came with fixed jetted carburetor. Depending on application and location where the engine was sold to . The kit offered by Kohler was for the (Fixed jet model carburetors) I.E for the Carter & Walbro Carburetors. But I could be incorrect too. But this is what I remember as tech years ago.

There is a Kohler technical publication (TP) number TP-2337-B That relates to these carburetor & Carb kits. You'll have to find a older dealer to look up the publication. If a web search doesn't produce a downloadable result. You would be surprised what newer dealers don't have for info.

The only other suggestion is to re-open the throttle, into the full FAST position while cranking during a hot restart. This will help get all the air thru the carb to lift the excess fuel puddled in the carb throat. Some of KT-17-19 Series 1 & 2 Twins were also susceptible to this problem your having, even having a fully adjustable tuned Carburetor, I.E a tractor with enclosed side panels to hide the engine.

The high attitude carb, is a service kit offered by Kohler, its not a carburetor. Unless there is a part number that superceeds the old carburetor for a H-Altitude .

The K181 came with ether a fully adjustable carburetor or came with fixed jetted carburetor. Depending on application and location where the engine was sold to . The kit offered by Kohler was for the (Fixed jet model carburetors) I.E for the Carter & Walbro Carburetors. But I could be incorrect too. But this is what I remember as tech years ago.

There is a Kohler technical publication (TP) number TP-2337-B That relates to these carburetor & Carb kits. You'll have to find a older dealer to look up the publication. If a web search doesn't produce a downloadable result. You would be surprised what newer dealers don't have for info.

The only other suggestion is to re-open the throttle, into the full FAST position while cranking during a hot restart. This will help get all the air thru the carb to lift the excess fuel puddled in the carb throat. Some of KT-17-19 Series 1 & 2 Twins were also susceptible to this problem your having, even having a fully adjustable tuned Carburetor, I.E a tractor with enclosed side panels to hide the engine.
The TP-2337-B says it's for 5 and 6 horse command engines.

I found a TP-2337-A info, but nothing for TP-2337-B

Wow! Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions. Mark, as a side note, when the engine is hot and I'm trying to start it I do apply full throttle in order to move more air through but it still takes a lot of turnover before it fires. I also have a fuel line shut off valve that I turn off if it is going to sit for a bit before I re-start.... don't know if that helps or not as there is probably enough fuel still in the filter and the float bowl to more than flood it out. I guess I can try adjusting the carb again and see if that helps and/or adjust the float level. Thanks again to everyone for all the great ideas and suggestions.

Back