• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 18, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I bit the bullet. First time small tractor owner. I need to do some pulling so Craigslist had this Cub Cadet 582. Has had some modifications including a winch driven 3 point hitch with some truly rough welding. Has wheel weights. Make do fenders attached with tek screws. Will get pictures soon.
I looked at the page for manuals and am mystified. Help!
Searched the Archives and found only 4 entries for "582". Learned there is also a "582 special".
This one has a 3 speed transmission and a two cylinder Briggs opposing. Starts easy; runs loud. Two extra front hubs with tires came with it.
So.. I see I am going to school again.
Happy to have found this site.
Model 582 142 U
Serial 700184.
Looks to have been built in 1981, one of the last ever made?
I do not hope to restore, etc, or be the CC enthusiast. I am an urban farmer (6000 sqft cultivated) and this Cub is a work machine to pull and drag stuff, and to help maintain a long gravel driveway (put an end to hand raking!)

I was told it has sat for 4 years. One front tire needs changed out. Spare hubs have good tires.
Where should I start in basic maintenance?
Seriously, I am "in CUBBY Kindergarten", age 69 with a new work toy. I am quite handy,having built houses and worked as a renovator. I have always done my basic maintenance of cars, trucks, mowers, tillers, trimmers, etc.
But this Cub is a different creature, having been built when I was in a professional career.

I doubt if I will get pictures up until after Christmas! My grandkids come Friday and stay til Tuesday! YEA! They are my TRUE CUBS!

Daniel--
WELCOME.gif
. Glad you found this site. If you hang around here you will find the answers to your many questions. I just bought my first 582 last month. They are cool little tractors and tougher than nails. The 582 special had a weaker transaxle setup than the regular 582. As I understand it, your tractor likely would've been built right in the transition period between the sale period of Cub to CCC (MTD). However, someone more knowledgeable of this time frame will certainly chime in. I would think that yours would've been one of the first machines built in Brownsville.
Have a Merry Christmas with those Grandkids!

Attachments

• WELCOME.gif
    WELCOME.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 117
  • WELCOME.gif
    WELCOME.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 118
Is the 582 a CCC or MTD tractor.
I don't think it's an IH unit.

You may get more answers on one of those pages.

According to Paul Bell's Monthly Serial Number Report, S/N 694233 was the final IH-built 582. Daniel's 582 is early CCC production.

Daniel K. Indeed Welcome!!
Since we found your 582 is a CCC built machine, go into the CCC/MTD area and post away any questions you have!
Are you trying to ask about replacing the front wheels? Or the loud exhaust? Or? Hey start small and go from there. Since it's early in the switch over, you can do a search for what you want to accomplish. "Clutch sticking" or "carb adjustment". It shares similar parts to most of the IH built gear drives, and probably has a lot of IH parts in it. I know of a few on here with 582's, so your in good hands.

Terry, a 451 blower will fit, but it's meant for later tractors that have an electric PTO with a 6" diameter pulley. Your 782 should have a 4.5" diameter PTO pulley. Running the 451 with the 4.5" pto pulley will result in a slower speed and the blower will not blow snow very well. You will want to find the correct 450 blower or find a 6" diameter electric PTO to swap out.

Daniel. Welcome!!! 582s are great tractors.
happy.gif
311651.gif

Do you have any pictures of the little fella?

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 128
  • 311651.gif
    311651.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 311651.gif
    311651.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 128
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 131
I'm thinking I'm going to have to build one of these!
311653.jpg

311654.jpg

Attachments

• 311653.jpg
    311653.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 311654.jpg
    311654.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 311653.jpg
    311653.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 120