Archive through December 18, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should've noticed . . . no hydro lever!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Donald t ,if you keep the oil changed .and stock compression the same ,i don,t think you would need a insert

I just noticed the moderator names in the our banner have been updated.. Amen

good job charlie, kraig
angel.gif

I have a couple of Chinese tachs I bought on an online auction. One is a laser tach and the other is an inductive tach. I put both of them on my 1000 today to see how they compared.

I put the reflective target for the laser tach on the outside of the clutch disc. The flywheel would have been better but I didn't think I could get it to stick to the rusty flywheel and it would be near impossible to install through the timing hole. This is what I did:

url]

Idle speed:

url]

Full throttle:

url]

I left the throttle up and wrapped the inductive wire around the spark plug wire. This is what I got:

url]

A few seconds later:

url]

Idle:

url]

The inductive tach seemed to vary depending on how tightly the input wire was wrapped around the spark plug wire and even then it varied +/- 400 RPM or more. I didn't get a picture of the extremes so you'll have to take my word for it. The laser tach seemed to vary less than the inductive tach.

Has anyone else seen this type of variance between tachs? Any experience with either of these types of instruments? Any thoughts? Your feedback is appreciated. I don't have a lot of experience with these types of tachometers.

Bob

Bob Elliott

BTDT and the refractive tape will prove it self out . Loss of current or much of a variance will give the other meter a variance. of signal that will be hard to verify. So use movement as a means to set any shaft speed or any motor to run at what setting .

Bob
I run the same meter and have found it is correct. and you post the same
url]

so you need to know what ???

If the optical tach is true I am within 50 RPM of 3600. I'll leave it alone.

Now I have to check the 1450. I think the governor spring is wrong on that tractor too. It's why I bought the tach.

Bob

pick a point that you have to time anything and with a reflective tape tack it can be done . Funny I have a few tractors and still have a few favorites as to what tractor to use for what ever job. That will never end .

Bob E

the governor spring timing comes after . since most cubs run at 3600 rps no load that is not a hard thing .they will give a hotter spark early to make one cub be that special cub.so set wot at 3600 no load and then adjust it after it has warmed up: the difference might surprise you:

Latest posts

Back