• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through December 10, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie,

Thanks for the info. IH must have decided that the design that allowed of servicing of the auger sprocket was no longer cost effective in the short term. The replicable sprocket/shafts may not have been in high demand. I know it took 30 years of western NY State snow belt winters to wear down the sprocket on my Dad’s QA-XXa thrower.

Jim

I just took a look at the thrower on the 169, and it doesn't have the replaceable ends. Looks like I'll have to do a little machining work to keep this one in service. The auger has some week spots on it though, so I might have to retire it after this season for a complete rebuild. Here's a photo of the old girl in all her winter glory. We call her Coconut, because when my son was 2, that's the closest he could come to saying Cub Cadet. I'm going to make a chute turner for sure though, you need to be an octopus to run everything from the pto lever, to the manual lift, to the hydro lever, to the chute turner...
182347.jpg

Part of the reason I don't use my QA-36 anymore is the fact the auger sprocket is worn fairly bad and the auger itself is REALLY worn. Flighting is paper-thin in some spots. Anyone priced a new auger lately? I imagine they're NLA now but 7-8 yrs ago they were over $350. And replacement flighting from companies that make the stuff was almost that much.

I only paid $90 for the whole blower with a new scraper edge modified to fit on a WF back in about 1982. Guy I bought it off of was a Foreman @ IH's East Moline plant, His prime snow-mover was a 982 with home-made frt blade and home-made rear PTO driven snow blower patterned after a Full size rear mounted snow blower for an ag tractor. It was pretty neat!

Hello All -- My QA 42 snowthrower restoration is finally complete! Thanks to all here on the forum who provided assistance for this first project of several more in the coming months --- a 123, a 100, a 70, four cast end mower decks, and a number 2 trailer...(not necessarily in that order). We'll be doing the tractors last.

Steve S.

Nice work, but let me save you some wear and tear on your driveline. The U-joints are not aligned correctly in your picture. Both "U's" have to be in the same plane or the joints will knock, hammer, and eventually self destruct. It is a common problem that many don't realize is due to alignment.

See photo mark-up for description.

182375.jpg

Note the area in the green circles and the purple alignment marks. Removing the ends from the slip joint inthe center, rotating to correct orientation, and reinstalling will easily correct the problem. It may be as easy as tipping the front fo the thrower forward until the slip joint separates.

Steve S., excellent job!
greenthumb.gif

Steve B., good catch.
happy.gif
Looks like the ends are also flipped, the inside shaft is on the sprocket end in the manual photo and it's on the gear box end on Steve's QA42, not sure if that makes a difference though.

Well guys live and learn. I wanted the z bend pliers $19.99 from Tower Hobbies and the shipping came to $24.99 for this a total of $44.98 INTL SMALL PACKET AIR. they were shipped on the 18th Nov and well there not here yet.Someone had posted that they sold the pliers and well I thought great I`ll be able to repair all the Cubs that need it. So this am i Call ,well they won`t do a thing for me till 45 business days after they ship.
irritated.gif

and when I ask why the high shipping the woman assured me that a good rate for the item. I liked the one airplane on there site but at there shipping rates its never going to happen. I hate it when sellers don`t care about the customers to provide fair shipping. My .02
Shotgun.gif

Steve B -- Thanks for the insight on the U joint alignment. If I understand you correctly this should be a relatively easy adjustment.

DON T. - I spent thousands & thousands of US $$ with Tower years ago. First couple R/C cars SON & I raced came from there, along with ALL the hop-ups & spare parts. Finally the local hobby shops started catching up with the needs of the local racers and I stopped buying from them. Their Shipping & handling charges were always high IMHO.

I guess those of us south of the border take our quick delieveries for granted. Tower is a decent company to work with. I hope they take care of Your situation to Your satisfaction when Your 45 days is up.

Let Us know how things turn out!

A guy I used to work with made his own Z-bend tool for choke/throttle wires; it works well. Take a basic old pliers, drill down from the top,jaws held closed. Then a cross drilling from one side at dimensions similar to a factory Z bend. He would use the jaws to make the first 90* bend, then insert that into the drilled section and use a second pliers to bend the last or Z bend as it stuck out the pliers from the side.
Simple yet very easy to use. I hope you can visualize my words above, I am no artist.

I don't understand what's so hard about making the z bends. I just use two needle nose pliers and I can make nice tight bends just fine.

Keith LeJeune
I have a disk injury in my neck and have lost 80% of feeling on my right hand and arm , so the right tool for the job will bought at a price,this will be great(if it works)
banned1.gif
clappy.gif
)

Latest posts

Back