• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 09, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, here's some photos of an Original PTO setup.

111198.jpg

111199.jpg

111200.jpg

111201.jpg

111202.jpg

Kraig,

The Sunrise was beautiful this morning! Nice pictures! It was much warmer at my house, is was ZERO.

Here a sunset from a year ago, I think one of Art's Cubs is in the pic because it is looking towards his house.
111205.jpg

Jim F---- There are a LOT of us that would really like those parts on our original. Don't get rid of them too quickly.Lots more work for your cub if you have it. I still want my sickle mower on my CCO but no PTO to power it.

Kraig, I just cannot see you with angel wings. Has anyone ever measured out the brackets for making the pto lever parts? A good screen door turnbuckle would work for the long rod just fine. I think there was a drawing years ago for the hand lever. Surprised that our parts builders have not offered a kit yet. I would bet that Jim's tractor had a three blade deck at one time. Seems the most common need for the PTO.

My truck's outside thermometer was showing -4deg today on the way to work. @#$&%!!!!

What the HECK!?!?!?!? This isn't late-January....
rant.gif

MATT S. - Closest I've ever seen to a CAT L&G tractor is Dan H's crawler. Cat has never really made any attempt to get into a more "Consumer" targeted business. Son had a college Prof @ PURDUE that had been a former Plant Mgr. at several CAT plants including the one at Lafayette, IN. and during a lecture He did say CAT looked into making a diesel pickup engine to compete with Ford/IH's PowerStroke and Dodge's Cummins. GM was the customer but the truck couldn't survive the weight & torque of the CAT diesel.
Problem with CAT and consumer products is their dealer network. Too far between dealers for parts & service support. If a $2 Million bulldozer breaks down the dealer will send out a service tech in a truck to get it running again but if a $4000 lawn mower breaks down it makes it very expensive for the dealer or the customer.

Aha!! A broken ground wire is to blame for all my trouble with the 106. Somehow I snapped it in half inside of the insulation. I'm thinking when I fought with it to get it up through the dash tower. A stupid, stupid thing to do! Hopefully when I re-install I dont do the same thing.
buttrock.gif

I just wanted to get the groups input about tri rib tires. I just bought 2 4.00x8 for he front and they look really skinny for the wheels. I don't have them mounted on the wheels yet, the tubes are taking forever to come in. If anybody can help me please do.
Thanks.

Jaimie,
What size were the tires you took off the wheels. From the looks of you profile most likely they were 6.50x16, so yes the 4.00x8 tires would be pretty skinny to mount on a wide wheel.

Kraig Nice sunrise pictures, I snapped one on the way to the garage this morning to get a picture of a cub part. Couldn't help but pick a fresh orange on the way.

111207.jpg

As I was putting the 1650 back together the other day I noticed something I thought I would pass along. When tuning the carburetor the engine kept hunting when I tried to adjust the high speed. Since I had a new carburetor on it I knew it should tune in. While I was watching it hunt I noticed some slop in the rod from the carb to the governor arm. There was movement in the hole in the governor arm where the rod connects. Finally I took another governor arm and installed it and the hunting stopped immediately. The next day I put the original governor arm back on and it started hunting again. Then I took the arm off and welded the hole shut and then drilled it out to the size of the rod from the carb, put it back on and it worked good.

The hole in the governor arm didn't look wore oblong but when I compared it to other arm's it was several drill sizes larger. I don't know if it came from the factory like that, or someone drilled it out, or over time wore out, but it sure works good now that it is back to the correct size.

111208.jpg

"Couldn't help but pick a fresh orange on the way...."

You're an EVIL man Richard!
lol.gif

Good tip on the Gov-Arm though, thanks for passing it along!
thumbsup.gif

Boy thanks for all the help and the pics. I think I can have my students manufacture most of the parts in the diagram if I cannot find originals. is this hole in the side of the housing for a purpose or did someone just make a mess?
111211.jpg

I have my engine running and my drivetrain functioning. We are going to tear down after the holidays in order to strip and repaint the whole thing. I will then tackle the mower deck which is in good shape. If anybody has some good "never do" , "Always do" I'm listening.

Jim,
That hole started out as just a 1/2" half moon shape and looks like it was enlarged a little. It was meant as a way to get to the steering gear cam follower to tighten up slop in the steering in the worm gear. Problem was getting a wrench down in the tower to loosen the jam nut to allow adjustment of the cam follower.

Kraig probably has a better pic of the stock slot. My Original didn't come with one as the earlier models didn't have that or the small hole at the bottom under the dash either.

Hope that helps some,
Keith

Jim, on the later Originals there was a factory slot in that location to allow for adjusting the steering box. (Photos are of Bryan M's Original, before he sold it.)

111213.jpg

111214.jpg

Richard, thanks for the tip on the gov arm!

Jim, this might be helpful. A guy by the name of William DeTurck who used to frequent here long ago had this made up, in any case this is his photo. If you are interested I can email the full resolution version of this along with some others. Let me know if you would like me to email the photos.

111219.jpg

Okay, most concur on turfs with chains for snow and ice... but what about width of tire? 8.50 or 10.50?

8.50 gets my vote....

<FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT>

Got the 106 done and running. I put the original v/r back in and everything worked very well. Apparently I didnt "let the smoke out". I let it run for the better half of an hour. I tried to restart and the new starter solenoid sounded like it was grinding coffee beans, could I have it hooked up backwards? I followed the diagram to the letter. Oh when I did shut it down it backfired so loud my ears are still ringing from it, sounded like a shotgun being fired in a closed room. I'm thinking the carb may need some adjusting!! It wasnt really hunting, but had to throttle it up very slowly or else it would start to stall. It did run very smooth at idle though and all the way through up into higher rpm's.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Keith L.-

Honestly, I've used both, and I don't really have a preference. You can get more fluid in a 10.50, but 8.50s result in a narrower tractor if you've got a 36" thrower. Of course, all I use for snow removal is 82 series tractors, and they look dumb with 8.50s on.

On a side note, I'm wearing shorts here in sunny Florida, where it's 83 degrees, but tomorrow night, I'll be back in IL and the cold...

Latest posts

Back