• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through December 05, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to do some oil changes on some cubs today, but got stuck going into work for 12 hour shifts the next three days.

Any one else cubbing today?

Jeff - to bad about the 12hr shifts, except you'll end up with some extra Cub monies!!!!! Best I could do for cubbing today is look at the blanket covering my 169 in the garage, and then check this site to see who was posting. Hope Jerry O can find the Serial No. on his 100. He's got 2 places to look and neither are real easy to see.

Harry ,i did run pas tthe 124 and tiller to get some wood for the fire place ,thats the best i can do ,i think the guy with the 169 and 108 may be a flake ,

Harry B. At work they think that I'm crazy because I cover all of my Cub Cadets when not in use. The laugh is on them though. While my vintage Cubs keep running I've had two co-workers that bought a new SEARS and John Deere ($3,000.00 for that one). Both asked me why their hydros went out after three years. BOTH ended up buying a new tractor. Sadly not a Cub Cadet though.

Jeff,

Only Cubbing I did today was to rotate the Battery Tender Jr's from one tractor to another. Couple of my batteries are 10+ yrs old. Those Tenders do their job.

Speaking of 12hr shifts....been doing them for 30yrs. Rotating shifts....days, nights, and every other weekend. Ya, they can suck, but I only have to work 14 out of 28 days. I do like the days off thru the week that I get and when combined with vacation days, can get several days off in a row.

Statistics say for every night shift a person works....its 3 days off your life. I better take an early retirement.

I picked up 2 parts tractors with big steve......and spotted the trailer with the diesel due to the wet lawn.....7:00 this am, 26 deg, diesel cracked off on the 1st revolution after 30 seconds on the plugs.......I was thrilled! $$$$$ spent on new starter and glow plug upgrade were well worth it!!!!

After years of knowing that my 1250 was never set up to run at 3600 RPM I decided to purchase a hand held optical/electronic tach, the kind you stick reflective tape to the rotating assembly.

Well I was surprised to find out that it was set at 2800 RPM, reset it to 3200 & and it sounded like its was running to fast, maybe just not used to the sound. I did verify the tack with a known source.

nothing like WOT sound but its best under load.

kirk, I use a small tender also, have you ever thought of hooking it to two batteries, I have been
1a_scratchhead.gif

Attachments

• 1a_scratchhead.gif
    1a_scratchhead.gif
    774 bytes · Views: 128
TOMCAT got his Butt wiped today with Glass Grit and Walnut Shells. Yeeow!! but he LIKED it. Locomotiveman Tom

300755.jpg

Attachments

• 300755.jpg
    300755.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 300755.jpg
    300755.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 139
Jeff I have a battery tender on 6 batteries which have close to the same amperage rating. Also have one on 3 automotive batteries. Everything works as it should. Got the 128 out yesterday and leveled some dirt piles and done some yard cleaning.

Here I have 5 battery tenders and 8 batteries. I keep moving the tenders around all winter and now you guys say that I could wire all the batteries together and use one Battery tender !!!!!! does it matter if two are the dry mat style ? the Harley and Kawi Nomad both have that style battery. Sure would save me a bunch a work and trying to keep track of witch need be next .

Dave - I hope you didn't take the 124 to far. It's raining so much you would'a really got soaked.

Marlin - just let'm keep laughing and you keep yours covered.

Paul D - if you check the back of the 1250 Operator Manual you'll see your K301AQS engine is spec'd to run 3600rpm no load, 3400rpm full load, and 1800rpm idle. I never liked running them at that high an idle and could usually back mine down to about 1200 and it wouldn't shake to bad. If you're sure your new tach is correct I'd definitely move your high speed up to 3600rpm. It may sound like it's overrev'd but that is where it should be running.

Don, AGM batteries will stay charged all winter without any intervention. I have a bank of 3 cell tower batteries in my RV that are still fully charged in the spring....
I would disconnect cable still

Thanks Harry
vroom.gif

Attachments

• vroom.gif
    vroom.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 130
  • vroom.gif
    vroom.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 134
Thanks Scott

What do you add if the Battery is down on fluid. acid or boiled water ? Going outside now to pull 5 batteries and put them in the heated shop . it is a balmy 45 F here.

Don T.-

I've always heard to add distilled water to low cells. Years ago I also heard it can help to add one aspirin to each cell of a weakish battery. I don't know what good it really does. I knew one guy that would drop batteries from about 3 feet onto concrete (wouldn't advise doing so) to shake the insides and clean the plates a little. He would then put it on charge and swears it works to give a battery more life.

Good to see you posting and hope things are going well with your health and cubs.

Well the #4 169 got home pics are in the Sandbox 13 fin too manual lift

Don,
I'll second Wayne on the Distilled Water. That's what we always added and were told to add back in the day.

Timing on 129
I was wondering about the experiences on timing. How much leeway does a k301 have on the timing mark. Does it have to be dead center in the timing hole or how close should it be. Perfect is always good, but how far off (if any) can you be before it makes a difference?
Earl

Latest posts

Back